+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Re: America's Got Talent

I agree with Jexter that there are acts I've liked in the past who didn't cut it last night--lackluster night overall. I don't get Prince Poppycock; I think I preferred Hannibal Means. I don't think he did Freddie Mercury justice as far as singing. Oddly, my favorite might have been Taylor Matthews (hadn't done much for me to this point). I unfortunately missed Michael Grimm, but he's been good in the past. I don't think the different types of talent necessarily need to go to a different show, but I do wish a singer wouldn't win.
    I don't know man I don't know man I don't know man I don't know I don't know

I really hope Conner/kites goes through -- I think he should blacken the whole stage, wear black clothes and have only the kites be white, or change color with lighting. Now THAT would be very cool.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Glad Poppycock (make that thrilled) and Michael made it through. Also happy for Anna/Patrick, as I certainly didn't expect to see them get through to next week. Didn't really have an opinion on the rest, as most of the night was forgettable. Wish either Arc Attack and/or Ascendance made it through, but it's all about the singers this year. Can't object to Taylor Matthews, but wish the singing sisters were cut.

I actually really like Prince Poppycock. I think he has the personality and the talent to put on a great show !

I really wish that Connor had made it through though. It again was another act that with a little more tweaking would have produced a wonderful show !

OK, I liked and am glad Poppycock and Micheal made it. Not upset that Anna and Patrick made it - they can dance quite well.

That said - I'm VERY disappointed in the judges choosing the two girls with CF as the final act to move on. They were NOT on key, they were NOT original, and frankly - they advanced IMHO simply because of the sob story.

I mean it - I am not a fan of Restivo (and have to admit that the time delay for him to appear in the trick killed his chances), but I would MUCH rather see him in the final than the girl duo.

I'm disappointed Arc Attack didn't advance (I liked the horror type theme they did this week - they upped their game), and sadly am not surprised that AscenDance didn't advance (again - I do think the music harmed them here, but they took a risk so I respect them for that).

Howie - love the guy but he's annoyed me sometimes in this show - is RIGHT - this show should be more about talent and VARIETY. Connor's - while he needed to improve on it (I love the idea of having the kites change colors), showed that variety.

Example - at our local talent show - I was the ONLY non-singing act in last year's show (I juggle). This was ONE act out of 24 that were competing, and I was one out of 12 that were in the adult division. While I won and won based on my talent and presence, I was disappointed with the lack of variety.

Seeing three simply singers this week advance - the duo, Michael and Taylor Matthews advance out of five is disappointing.

I wanted to post this separately, because I want to discern the difference between Prince Poppycock and the other singers since some will see them the same.

In short I simply don't, and the reason is his Bohemian Rhapsody performance Tuesday.

While he isn't exactly the same as Terry Fator, he shows similar skills:

Poppycock is a man who has more than singing to back up his performances. He is an entertainer.

"BR" I think is a very good example of this - he took a rather popular son, and really blended it in with Liberace, a hard rock band (breaking stuff) and his opera. While it was hard to hear him at times (I blame the sound) he was still entertaining and fun to watch for that reason.

Top it off, he showed his comedic side as well at the judge's panel. It's quite possible for him to bridge his singing bits with comedic sketches.

AND - it's possible to for his show to expand, and include new artists. He could very easily open doors for aspiring musicians to create opera music that could match his singing chops, do a sketch around it and still keep his French Renaissance (closest thing I can think his attire is from) persona up.

Fator - to my knowledge the ONLY non-singing performer to win the show - also is a man of variety. While he does keep in his ventriloquism sketches, he can sing, do jokes and impressions as well to fill his act. He is someone who has one general talent and then branched out. I can see this in Prince Poppycock's style as well - his general talent is opera, but he also has the ability to do sketches in the singing and be comedic without being flamboyant.

Hey, what else can I say? - I just realized that the fellow has inspired some of the idea behind my fused glass bracelet for the fair and a pendant I made today. They're white bases with pastel colored confetti, then on top of the clear glass I added Millefiori flowers for the bracelet links and a diachroic top on part of the pendant. (BTW, the design is just for me to wear - I wasn't selling this work anyway )

Sounds odd yeah, but he is showing how his fears and breaking out of his shyness through this character can help inspire others as well. Even if he weren't to win (Though if the results were an indication tonight, we might see him win if we get similar results next week - his only real signing competition I feel is Alice Tan Ridley, and Hasbop/the stunt cycle guy on other talents), he has definitely been entertaining this year.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4048464;
    OK, I liked and am glad Poppycock and Micheal made it. Not upset that Anna and Patrick made it - they can dance quite well.

That said - I'm VERY disappointed in the judges choosing the two girls with CF as the final act to move on. They were NOT on key, they were NOT original, and frankly - they advanced IMHO simply because of the sob story.

I mean it - I am not a fan of Restivo (and have to admit that the time delay for him to appear in the trick killed his chances), but I would MUCH rather see him in the final than the girl duo.

I'm disappointed Arc Attack didn't advance (I liked the horror type theme they did this week - they upped their game), and sadly am not surprised that AscenDance didn't advance (again - I do think the music harmed them here, but they took a risk so I respect them for that).

Howie - love the guy but he's annoyed me sometimes in this show - is RIGHT - this show should be more about talent and VARIETY. Connor's - while he needed to improve on it (I love the idea of having the kites change colors), showed that variety.

Example - at our local talent show - I was the ONLY non-singing act in last year's show (I juggle). This was ONE act out of 24 that were competing, and I was one out of 12 that were in the adult division. While I won and won based on my talent and presence, I was disappointed with the lack of variety.

Seeing three simply singers this week advance - the duo, Michael and Taylor Matthews advance out of five is disappointing.
    I would have taken Connor over the sisters in a heartbeat. Antonio should hav advanced, but I guess the judges can't look evil in getting rid of two sisters with CF-even if they can't compare to any current singing act left. They can get them to the finals and then have the audience crush their dreams. That's the problems with putting kids through, especially with an emotional backstory. They have to keep them if given the chance or risk looking mean and heartless. Connor's act got old, but I think there was potential to spice it up. It was very Cirque de Soleil, and I wonder if he got himself background kite flyers or did what was suggested above, and maybe pulled a Fighting Gravity with black sheets and neon, what it would look like. Ascendance I wish had advanced. I disagreed with the judges that their act was getting old and boring. Last night wasn't their best but was hoping they or Arc Attack would have made it. There's more magicians to come, so I'm sure they didn't mind axing Antonio.

Jackie and Alice are likely shoo-ins for the finals, and what other singers are left that could break through? I think the finals will probably be Alice, Jackie, Michael, Taylor, Poppycock, the singing sisters-and then I'm hoping Michael/Ashleigh, Fighting Gravity, a magician, and probably another novelty act or mediocre singer. I consider Poppycock outside the average singer this year, because he has a whole act around his talent. Sort of like what would happen if Paul Reubens made Pee-Wee into an opera singer.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-26-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4048464;

Wow....did not see the show went to bed early since I am not feeling too well, but will catch it on tivo...I totally agree with your statement on those two girls, I have not liked them from day one, they used their story to win the judges heart. You can even tell when Sharon said something like "I am not going to say something negative"....but they have no problem being honest with the others....your a judge and your trying to pick a person or persons to win a million dollars and a show...be honest to the performers regardless of the health issues.

I do adore Poppycock, awesome performance!!! But the other singers I am not digging. I do like Michael, he has a soulful voice.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4048412;
    Glad Poppycock (make that thrilled) and Michael made it through. Also happy for Anna/Patrick, as I certainly didn't expect to see them get through to next week. Didn't really have an opinion on the rest, as most of the night was forgettable. Wish either Arc Attack and/or Ascendance made it through, but it's all about the singers this year. Can't object to Taylor Matthews, but wish the singing sisters were cut.
    I was hoping they would choose Connor as well, there are enough singers going thorugh and although the girls are "nice" and adorable they cannot win this thing!..Conner had a different type of act and should have been the one voted through..shame on the judges:nono

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4048531;
    I was hoping they would choose Connor as well, there are enough singers going thorugh and although the girls are "nice" and adorable they cannot win this thing!..Conner had a different type of act and should have been the one voted through..shame on the judges:nono
    That's how I feel. Connor's act is at least different and it's not like they could say they were prejudiced against a disability. Both acts had that and I wish they would have picked Connor. I personally threw a vote his way. I didn't think he could win, but I'd rather see him any day than listen to those girls. It's different and new and as Sharon said 'mesmorizing'.

+ Reply to Thread