+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

Prince Poppycock for the win! Since we're getting down there with acts, I managed to sit through the show tonight. I thought the judges were better behaved than last week, but I hope next season they replace Howie. He tries too hard to support the untalented or not as good as they think little guy and really thinks he knows what America wants and will get behind.

Prince Poppycock killed that song. I hope he blows lip synching opera girl out of the water. Can't wait for them to go head to head. Since I'm fairly certain a singer will win this year, here's hoping it's him. He's got the making of a Vegas act all over him. The right everything and the audience loves him. I rarely vote on this show, but I'll be heartbroken if all that voting and Poppycock goes home.

I actually love Arc Attack, the electricity people (I think that's their name). They're something different, and it's the first time I've ever seen an act like there's. I wasn't as impressed as the previous two rounds, but am hoping they get through. I like they have more to offer the competition than the million generic singers yet to come and the magicians who all copy each other.

Sob stories aside, I'm not impressed with Christina and Sadie, the singing sisters. I've been impacted by losing someone to CF, so I get it, but they're just not that good. Same with Connor. He's fun and interesting to watch...for about 5 seconds. His act would get old seeing the same thing week after week (already is). I love the ballroom kids, Anna and Patrick, but figure they got a reprieve being brought back last week. I doubt they'll last past tomorrow, but am glad they had another shot. If DWTS is still on in 5 years, maybe we'll see them as pros. My 5 I'd put through would be Poppycock, Michael Grimm, Arc Attack, Anna/Patrick (for variety), and am fine with anyone else. Those were the only 4 I think are worthy. I guess Taylor Matthews or Ascendance, whom I like, but they need to step their act up, too. I'm worried Michael may not make it. Future Funk and the magician are probably done. The rest of the show I tuned out except the ones I wanted to see.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-24-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Pretty much this is what I think: It would be a HUGE shock if Prince Poppycock doesn't advance. His routine tonight was funny, reminiscent of "Rocky Horror meets Liberace meets his fancy pants dress." I loved it because yes... he did break up the song into parts (had to due to it's length - that song is at least six minutes long I think), but man, can he sing and make it fun. I do think that he will get writers to write operas for him if he won - they'd challenge him and I think he could take it on. That said, I will admit one thing I like about him is that I can see myself in him - I am incredibly shy, but when I'm on stage juggling, I'm a totally different character. It seems he's the same way, but man when he's on the stage, he's in character. (He's also IMHO handsome out of the makeup too - this is the first time I've seen him without it). AscenDance... I love this group, but I think this routine will kill them in the contest. While I had no problem with them having four people in the routine, it was as all three said, boring. They could've had the strength moves and the like even with the faster music. I was expecting her to do more of the freestyle bits where she's using him (the original two), than she did. If they advance, I will be happy for them, but they MUST do what they do best if they want to win. ArcAttack - I liked it actually, though I do with the "zombie" broke character, only because I am seriously worried that she's OK. Even with the best of precautions, that stuff can affect you. (Van de Graff generator incident knocked me for a loop once... 'nuff said.) But, I agree with Howie - while this is the best routine they've done all season, the affect is probably stronger when you're actually there. I think they have a chance given HD TV will help this issue out, but it'll be tough. The two young boys - Future Funk. They're cute, but Las Vegas is NOT for them. I don't want to see them or any of the teen acts advance because I don't think it's healthy for them to act on stage even on a staggered basis in Las Vegas. The one girl who sang - Kristina somethingorother - boring, and I think the ONLY one tonight to get THREE X's by the judges. If she advances, it'll be a shame because a more talented group is eliminated. The magician of fire... Talk about boring and redundant... not to mention, they criticize Dan Sperry for his act being slow and fake? You could tell based on the time that the magician had gotten out and moved across the stage. HOW he is still here I'll never know - there are also a lot more magicians in Las Vegas who are more talented, even in that 90 or so seconds. I didn't see Ana and Patrick except for the recap. They're good, but again if they're youth/teens, I would rather for their health not advance. That said, I'd love to see them dance in competitions in the future. Sperry's was very badly done - almost the level of auditions - and I don't think he should advance. Pretty much all the singers save Poppycock I could do without, but I won't be surprised if the last one before Poppycock advances. He was at least interesting to hear. Connor Doran - Interesting concept, but I'm not sure what he did tonight will help him out in making the finals. I am glad however he got a shot at making the finals. So, tonight, the only one I'm expecting to make to the finals is Poppycock. The others I'd like to see are ArcAttack, AscenDance (as I feel tonight was a risk and they should get a second chance, because even the risk of fast music was beautiful), and probably the last singer before Poppycock (please forgive me on the name - the ones who have caught my attention this season have all been opera singers.) If they add the bicycle guy next week into the finals with this mix, I'll be quite happy with at least half of the finalists.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

If anyone has a chance, could they throw a couple of votes Matthews way for me? I don't really think he should win, but I do feel he has such nice tone and a pure voice. I'd hate to see him go before some of the other atrocities we witnessed tonight.

Jexter, do you think the controversy will hurt Jackie enough to keep her out of the top three? Though I love your picks, I'm afraid Jackie will squeak by Alice Tan Ridley. :s

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4047674;
    If anyone has a chance, could they throw a couple of votes Matthews way for me? I don't really think he should win, but I do feel he has such nice tone and a pure voice. I'd hate to see him go before some of the other atrocities we witnessed tonight.

Jexter, do you think the controversy will hurt Jackie enough to keep her out of the top three? Though I love your picks, I'm afraid Jackie will squeak by Alice Tan Ridley. :s
    I have to say that I totally forgot about Jackie when I posted my thoughts about tonight. I guess that says alot about how I feel about her. You are right. I wouldn't be surprised if she edges out someone - although I think it could be Alice, Michael, or even Prince Poppycock.

Reg. Jackie, I like her, but she's so good that she doesn't need this show. All the others do. I know that isn't "fair" in the traditional sense, but in my book it is.

Reg. Taylor Mathews...I cant phone in voites tonight but I agree about Taylor Mathews. He's been ho-hum for me but I really enjoyed his performance tonight. With all the young girls out there, I tend to think he'll be o.k.
    Last edited by Jexter; 08-25-2010 at 01:30 AM.

FORT Fan

Tuesday's show would've been a total waste of time if it hadn't been for Price Poppycock but even then I'm losing interest.

I know there's better talent out there than has been seen this season. I wonder why the better acts avoid this show.

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4047847;
    Tuesday's show would've been a total waste of time if it hadn't been for Price Poppycock but even then I'm losing interest.

I know there's better talent out there than has been seen this season. I wonder why the better acts avoid this show.
    I agree..the fact that HE designs his own costumes..props..etc...speaks volumes to this guys "craft". He is exceptionally talented and could easily hold his own show in Vegas, his act has crazy Vegas showy glitz written all over it!

Not since Terry Fatore have I watched an act and thought..."that show could hold its own in Vegas..Go Prince Poppycock!

(As for the "singers"..I say this...if you want to make it as a "recording artist" audition for Idol...if you want to be a dancer...go on SYTYCD. There are plenty of formats for these types of acts/performers. To me this show should be for all those acts who don't fit into the other molds...."just sayin"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4047847;

I think they had better acts that got cut for what we're seeing now. Even at their worst, I still think they would have been better than the majority of ones who made it through.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4047895;

(As for the "singers"..I say this...if you want to make it as a "recording artist" audition for Idol...if you want to be a dancer...go on SYTYCD. There are plenty of formats for these types of acts/performers. To me this show should be for all those acts who don't fit into the other molds...."just sayin"
    The age limits of shows like Idol and SYTYCD (at least the Canadian version) is limiting for some of the singers/dancers.

As for this show, I kind of watch it mostly for entertainment and not as a real contest. Many of the performers the judges advanced to the top forty-eight were inarguably ridiculous choices, and good acts got cut. Just that alone took away any credibility that this show was a serious talent show. But they pick a few of their favs to put up against crap thereby ensuring those favs reach the top.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4047895;

To me this show should be for all those acts who don't fit into the other molds...."just sayin"
    When the occational good performance does come along from a dancer or singer,, I always wonder why they didn't audition for SYTYCD or AI. Then again maybe they did and we're getting the rejects.

I like Michael Grimm, have from the first time we saw him. I also like Ascendance (sp?) but last night wasn't as good as they've been. I didn't necessarily love the inclusion of 2 more people. To me it was more breath-taking when it was just the 2 of them. I also really enjoy Connor and his kite. I totally got the performance last night since his song was about fireflies and he was making his kite flit around like a firefly. I don't know why the judges didn't get that. I like watching him, I would even like to see him advance but don't want him to win.

Who I enjoyed the most last night was Prince Poppycock. He's incredible. He sings so well, and puts on this whole show and the persona. He's a true showman. I can see him headlining in Vegas easily. I don't love opera but I would actually like to see a whole show of his. I liked Piers remark that he didn't think anyone could out-camp Freddy Mercury but Prince Poppycock managed to do so.

The judges often tell people to step up their production numbers to go on which is why I think Ascendance added 2 more people. Most of the time I think extra people running around the stage are superfluous. However, Prince Poppycock added the people in around him and it made sense. They never overpowered his act and he let them get close to him only when it made sense in the song. It's definitely separating him from the others in terms of his level of talent.

+ Reply to Thread