+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Got Talent

How was Cam Hodges? I missed his act! He's very (VERY) cute!

There are two trends I DESPISE on the Got Talent shows (I'm including the UK one).

1.) Opera singers, even when actually mediocre, winning.
    2.) Kids going further than they deserve.

Jackie The Opera prodigy fills both the Opera and Kiddie categories. So in theory I should hate her.

But I don't. I think she puts Paul Potts, Susan Boyle, and every little kid to appear on this show ever to shame. This girl should win. Period.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4032925;
    How was Cam Hodges? I missed his act! He's very (VERY) cute!
    The judges let him off easy, in my opinion. He was terrified, and it showed.

And honestly? There were at least four other acts tonight that were far better. No wait. Make that about 9.

I'll rank them...

1.) Jackie the Opera Girl - best of the episode, best of the series, best of AGT in total probably, and maybe even the best of ANY Got talent show anywhere.

2.) Dan Sperry the Gross Out Magician - at first I thought he took too long to get to the point. But by the end he'd completely won me over. Going "small" with his act showed a real contrast to that boring idiot Murray, who went "big" but with zero personality. Sperry has tons of personality, and his small scale gross out trick played out perfectly.

3.) PluTonic - I loved them.

4.) Pizza Pat - Piers and surprisingly Howie HATED him, but I loved the act. These two judges are idiots if they think what Pat did is what you'd see from anyone in a pizza shop. He took the basic premise of dough tossing to a nice extreme, with all kinds of unique rolls, and extra flips, and the fire thing.

5.) Yet Another kid the show forced to imitate the Zac Efron basketball scene from High School musical. WHY does the show do this over and over? But the kids actual jump rope tricks were impressive.

6.) Maestro Bui - Sharon was right to buzz him. But I'll still put him 6th. His choice of material to play was DREADFUL given all the lively classical music out there.

7.) Ryan the weird "sort of dancing" guy - It was interesting in a way, but... I just couldn't connect to it.

8.) Booker Forte, the hip hop dancer - Good at the moves he knows. But he doesn't KNOW many.

9.) Christina Young - there's some potential there. If she gets re-styled to look less like a tramp and goes with a look which matches what appears to be a sweet personality under that. I'd have ranked her higher, but that song choice ALSO sucked, in addition to her styling and only so-so performance.

10.) Cam Hodges - Nice guy. Bad job. Has NO control over his nerves, IMO.

11.) Pup - I love dogs. And I admire the guts of the owner to keep playing his part. That's why this didn't get last place on my list.

12.) Austin Anderson - a "comedian" who was just dreadfully unfunny.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4032941;
    There are two trends I DESPISE on the Got Talent shows (I'm including the UK one).

1.) Opera singers, even when actually mediocre, winning.
    2.) Kids going further than they deserve.

Jackie The Opera prodigy fills both the Opera and Kiddie categories. So in theory I should hate her.

But I don't. I think she puts Paul Potts, Susan Boyle, and every little kid to appear on this show ever to shame. This girl should win. Period.
    My thoughts exactly. Oh, no not another child singer, but this girl brought tears to my eyes. A very amazing little girl with the voice of an incredible opera star.

FORT Fan

My picks in more or less the order in which I would rank them.

Maestro Alexander Bui. Awesome piano player

Jackie Evancho. What can I say. She's great.

That my two top picks are kids is ironic inasmuch as I have said over and over that kids do not belong on this show let alone in Vegas.

Cam Hodges sings well enough but a bit pitchy in parts. Needs practice and maybe some voice lessons.

Pizza Patt. Yeah I really want to fly to Vegas, pay big money and watch an hour of pizza tossing. Find some interesting objects to toss and then we’ll talk.

Kristina Young singer, very pretty and talented. Has possibilities.

Singing group Plutonic are good singers but not Vegas worthy. They harmonize well so should sing something more upbeat and current if they’re going to have any chance at a career at all.

Dylan Plummer, the jump rope kid, is not the kind of act that is Vegas worthy. Why the judges wasted their time picking this sort of act is beyond me.

Pup, nice dog but Vegas? Not hardly

Ryan Rodriguez break dancer. Booo!

Austin Anderson, not funny.

Booker Forte hip hop dancer. B boys and hip hop dancers are a dime a dozen these days so no sale.

Dan Sperry, Gross

Krom, I must agree with most of your rankings. For me the whole "vote for a you tube act" is a bit out of place. The whole experience of You Tube is taking something someone does "in private" or in the comforts of their "small place" and showing it off...while most times these are funny and become sensations, most do not belong on big stages for large audiences. They are not BY DESIGN the type of act that can succeed on that level.

I don't think ANY Of the acts from last night are Vegas worthy..the Opera singer child, is weird to watch...close your eyes and "perfecto"...but open your eyes and something doesn't seem right..that voice should not be coming from that "child" body. To me it appears fake...and is difficult to watch..

I am not ssying she isn't FANTASTIC and EXTRAORDINARY..but I think she needs to be finding an Opera opening in a show....not a Vegas stage...

The gross magician is great..but I wonder if a Vegas show is too big for his style of performance...again taking someone from the "You Tube" environment and placing them on the BIG stage is totally different.

Truly I just wish they would get "the show on the road" so to speak...It seems like they have been auditioning for months now!..Let's get on with it...

I am really confused about Jackie Evancho. She is already booked to play Carnegie Hall in December AND she has a CD. What are the rules at AGT?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I didn't watch the show last night, but logged in here to check on your opinions this morning. Based on what you all said, I went to YouTube and watched Jackie.

There. Are. No. Words.

AMAZING!!!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4033300;
    For me the whole "vote for a you tube act" is a bit out of place....
    A couple of videos from "you tube" have resulted in gigs for the persons involved. Ellen Degenerous is mentoring Chance Grayson whom she found on "you tube" and will be recording him on her label.

There was another singer who gain some notoriety from "you tube" but I can't remember his name, so I think AGT was hoping they'd find something spectacular. I'd be willing to bet that surfing "you tube" for talent was executive producer Simon Cowell's idea. He mentioned in the past that he liked "you tube" and hoped they always kept it as a free service.
    Truly I just wish they would get "the show on the road" so to speak...It seems like they have been auditioning for months now!..Let's get on with it...
    It hasn't been long. It just seeeeems loooooong because of the lack of real talent. With the exception of Prince Peacock, Alice Tan Ridley, and a couple of others, I see better performances on the street every time I go downtown in S.F. Watching AGT on Tuesday nights makes me appreciate SYTYCD even more on Wednesday nights.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by twochicklets;4033314;
    I am really confused about Jackie Evancho. She is already booked to play Carnegie Hall in December AND she has a CD. What are the rules at AGT?
    Seriously. She's obviously extremely talented, but she either has or will have a hugely successful career. She doesn't need this show whereas the others do.

I hope she doesn't win.

+ Reply to Thread