+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

FORT Fan

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3995192;
    Howie seems to have the mentality that because he stuggled as a comic he knows what it's like to be the underdog no one would give a chance to, and I feel like he comes across believing he knows what America wants.
    Howie is funny when he's just being himself. When he does his "man on the street" bit, I don't find that funny. I don't think it's so much that he thinks he knows what America wants as it is that his sense of humor runs toward the bizaar and/or rediculous whereas I, and perhaps others, prefer subtle humor or humor about everyday life like Rosanne, Barney Miller and today, Rules of Engagement. Silly, yes, but not over the top the way Howie likes it IMO.

I'd like for the judges to possibly consider the end result and ask if people would pay to see someone like Ronith if the show was headlining in Valentine, Nebraska.
    I think Piers and sometimes Sharon does think about that. Maybe Howie does too but, as I said, his humor runs counter to many. Even when he said he couldn't see a certain act in Vegas, his opinion was different from the audience and the other 2 judges. Can't remember which act it was, but it was one of the dance groups. It's good that he's there though. First, because he's funny and second, because he provides a balance against Piers with Sharon somewhere in the middle. Literally and figeratively.

I like Asendance because they're different and unique, and quite honestly the talent is so mediocre this year. Much like the Gravity group, they bring something different and could probably put together quite a spectacular show.
    Although I find them boring, I do think there might be an audience for them in Vegas. It has a circus like feeling and what's more circus like than Vegas?

Hopefully people have enough sense to put Ronith out of his misery.

Nancy

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;3995739;
    I think Piers and sometimes Sharon does think about that. Maybe Howie does too but, as I said, his humor runs counter to many. Even when he said he couldn't see a certain act in Vegas, his opinion was different from the audience and the other 2 judges. Can't remember which act it was, but it was one of the dance groups. It's good that he's there though. First, because he's funny and second, because he provides a balance against Piers with Sharon somewhere in the middle. Literally and figeratively.
    I liked Howie when the season first started, but much like my love for Nick went up during the audition rounds, I could do without Howie now. Why can't his mic ever cut out? I've seen on every talent show at some point the judges express disappointment that America isn't voting for the best (despite being told vote for your favorites-not always the same thing), or rather not voting along the same lines as the judges taste. But you run the risk when you put through acts like Ronith that he may actually outlast better performers. However, this show seems like amateur hour with no real success in the end. For argument's sake, I'd like to see a non singing act win just to see if they can have as much success as Terry Fatour (sp?) It'd be nice to see some of the acts with real talent who got passed over for the likes of Ronith make it big just to spite the show. Of course I've never heard of that happening, either. I'm still counting on Alice Tan Ridley to win. This show isn't even worth getting worked up over as there typically isn't a judges bias or head scratching results (in comparision to say, Idol or DWTS). But Howie just seems...I don't know. He seems more for the little guy no matter how bad their act.

Although I find them boring, I do think there might be an audience for them in Vegas. It has a circus like feeling and what's more circus like than Vegas?
    My only concern is, are they unique enough? There's already Cirque de Soleil, and while these guys aren't exactly in the same league, I can draw similarities. They're a good act, though, and one that I think can potentially do well for themselves. I like them, so I'm rooting for them (for the non singers I'd like to see them behind Fighting Gravity). Which reminds me, that group who played in a band and used electricity didn't make it to the semi's, did they?

Predictable results tonight: Ascendance, Michael Grimms, Alice, and the fire magician made it. Since he's already tried and failed in Vegas he lost a little interest from me but I'm happy he got through. I didn't catch him last night. Happier than last week. I'm trying to think who's left for the acts. I know we haven't seen Chipps Cooney or the red haired grandma yet. Ooh, Prince Poppycock hasn't performed. Can't wait for him!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

'America's Got Talent' announces first live tour - USATODAY.com

I wonder if it'll just be acts from this season or if they'll drag up past favorites. I think Britain's version has always done a tour. Might be interesting to see how it does here. Imo, they chose a weak season to start it. I really hope they think better than having someone like Ronith tag along, but another article I read mentioned the acts that have made it through so far will be there (wonder how the kid acts will cut that with school). But maybe this is a test to see just how well certain acts can hold their own in a live setting that's not on the competition level. And it says Jerry Springer is hosting the event.
    Last edited by karalott; 07-23-2010 at 03:47 AM.

Call me odd--I found Ronith hilarious. I like the oddball variety show acts.

I can't stand Luigi (tired of that type of music), and Debra Romer seemed rather amateurish tonight.
    Last edited by quentcomps; 07-27-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    I don't know man I don't know man I don't know man I don't know I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by quentcomps;4009063;
    Call me odd--I found Ronith hilarious. I like the oddball variety show acts.

I can't stand Luigi (tired of that type of music), and Debra Romer seemed rather amateurish tonight.
    Ronith I think has half of his talent right - I could clearly get who he was impersonating in his mannerisms. His voice? - not really. While I'm not surprised he was eliminated from the show, I do think if he'd tweak it a bit he'd do pretty well. Except he'd have to do much older movies, I think he could do snippets from movies of the actor he's impersonating and lip sync to it with the mannerisms. That said - I say older movies, I mean about 50-75 years old that don't have a copyright on them. Some of those he may not know who they are.

As far as tonight - I am hoping it's the bicyclist, the last dance group (the human stairs with the person going down them was really really cool), the pop-and-locker (forgot his name at the moment) and the harmonica player. To me they were the strongest of the talent this week.

Now, that said - if one of those can't continue on, I'd like to see the rhythmic gymnast return. That said... I think the lesson she should've learned this week is to not use a rope or if so, use one that stands out more. I had trouble seeing the rope in the dance (which is why I understood Pierce's comment), and I didn't even know rings were used this go. I think if she sticks with rhythmic apparatuses, she needs to use the rings, a ribbon and clubs. Rope, though also an apparatus, if she uses it again, she should use a color that won't blend in with the lighting.

FORT Fan

The only two performances I liked, and are Vegas worthy, were the Studio One dance group and Kaya & Sadie, the belly dancers.

The Strange familiar singer was terrible as was Debra Roman. Both were out of tune yet the judges praised them both. Maybe all that screaming that the audience does has cause the judges to lose their hearing.

The rest were either boring or obnoxious. I'll let you figure out which is which. What a boring night.

did Prince Poppycock perform yet?

I loved the Harmonica guy hope he gets through, the bike kid, the girl with the rope and the guy dancer....all others did nothing for me

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia;4009333;
    did Prince Poppycock perform yet?
    No

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia;4010521;
    I loved the Harmonica guy hope he gets through, the bike kid, the girl with the rope and the guy dancer....all others did nothing for me

The "dancer" was Haspop. Strange name. I don't care for krumping at all and don't think of it as "dancing". It drives me nuts that it's allowed on SYTYCD.

+ Reply to Thread