+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: True Beauty 2

Re: True Beauty 2

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;3983027;
    Exactly my thoughts also! Men and women respond differently to situations, whether by nature or how they were taught to behave. A man is much more likely to help a weaker woman with a heavy object. The challenges are not very well thought out. Since when is it a good thing to tell another person how to live their life??!! Would they give points to tell every fat person in a restaurant that they shouldn't eat their meal??
    I think we all know that the show is ridiculous in many ways, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy watching it and also making fun of it. I know I sure do!
    Yes, men and women DO respond differently to situations, and in my experience I am more likely to be assisted by a woman than by a man. Women always offer me a seat when I'm using my cane on transit. Men? Not one, ever. Women often stop to ask if they can assist with the loading of stuff onto the back of my bike (groceries, furniture, etc.). I do recall a couple of men over the years, but it's mainly been women. In all fairness, though, I've had two men stop to assist while I've been changing a flat and not a single woman.

Anyone who doesn't teach their daughter to assist other people in need is doing them as much a disservice as those who don't teach their sons how to cook and do housework.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I don't think it can be said that either men or women in general are more likely to be helpful. It depends on the person. Manners can be taught, but goodness and kindness are innate. People are kind and helpful, or selfish and inconsiderate by nature. Telling people what they should or shouldn't eat, versus offering to open a door, or give words of encouragement, are two differnt types of situations. For example. if the overweight bride was eating junk food, it would not have been appropriate for the beauties to make comments to her on what she was eating... but kind comments were helpful and appropriate.

I think fear plays a part in people not getting involved anymore as well. One never knows how a helpful intent will be taken. Take the lady loading the car. In this day of skepticism, what if it were a ploy to get someone close to the van and then be assaulted or something. I think people want to help, but are sometimes scared to help.

When I posted up-thread about men being trained to be helpful, I didn't clarify that I was referring to helping with heavy things. I may be pretty strong, but I'm no match upper-body-strength-wise for most any man. I rarely defer to a man wanting to help me carry things because that's the way I am, but the offer is appreciated and I do concede that they are usually more built - and in Amy's case more dressed - to help with heavy luggage. Amy was dressed in her little dress and sky-high heels so as to be ready for the face-off. That was appropriate attire for the occasion but not for bending down and hefting luggage. Plus, as I stated before, it appeared to me that someone called to her off-camera not long after she walked outside. That's the way I saw it.
    Also, as others have mentioned, there is a little of an unfortunate security issue in the world we live in. For example, I wouldn't have felt safe reprimanding someone on an elevator for their health choices. We just have to be more careful nowdays. (For example, driving home late at night recently I saw a lady broken down whose car was almost blocking the road. Safety told me to drive on - and I did - but worried about the poor woman till I had the idea to call 911 to notify them and I felt better. But what if I'd stopped and it was a ruse? Not safe.)
    I guess the way we see the contestants is influenced greatly by our gut reactions to them and how we think would feel if we met them in person. Taylor, while goodlooking, seems to be overconfident, but not to the point of rudeness. I like him okay. Erika does have an annoying laugh (which might be played up in the editing) but she is quite pretty and seems to be the sweetest contestant. Amy was cute, seemed to have her heart in the right place for the most part. He biggest downfall was her lack of confidence which showed on her face. Then finally Craig. As I've said before, something about him seems "off." He's, for sure, what my kids would call a "player," but in addition to that, it somehow seems to me that when he does something even halfway nice, I wonder if there's an ulterior motive. Maybe he has caught on to the premise of the game and is playing it out. I guess we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3983375;
    I think fear plays a part in people not getting involved anymore as well. One never knows how a helpful intent will be taken. Take the lady loading the car. In this day of skepticism, what if it were a ploy to get someone close to the van and then be assaulted or something. I think people want to help, but are sometimes scared to help.
    Particularly with a baby. I would not want some stranger coming up and distracting me when I was alone with a baby. That is not cool, and the contestants seem to have more common sense about what is acceptable social behavior than whoever comes up with those challenges does. Their assumptions are very naive and out of sync with the realities of real world, adult social interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3983617;
    Also, as others have mentioned, there is a little of an unfortunate security issue in the world we live in.
    Yes, there are times and places where you need to be more wary of strangers, but anyone unwilling to help someone out in front of a hotel in broad daylight where there are plenty of people milling about is living a far too paranoid life and might want to consider some sort of therapy. Either that or they are thoughtless and/or selfish and/or lazy. The woman wasn't loading lumber, she had a suitcase along with the kid, something Amy should have been able to manage even in a dress.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I consider myself a helpful person, but I wouldn't have said anything to the pregnant woman in the elevator. You'd know her doctor, friends, and family would have spoken to her about smoking and drinking while pregnant, and if they can't persuade her to stop, she certainly wouldn't listen to a stranger. (On the other hand, I recently picked up a box for a man whose arms were loaded with boxes, and a couple of months ago I helped a teenage boy push his disabled truck off a main street and around the corner--I'm a 50-something woman and plenty of men drove by and didn't help.)

One of last year's challenges was about picking up trash on the way to the elimination room. The girl in the evening dress didn't pick it up. Though I often pick up trash, I wouldn't have in that situation either.

----
    Regarding Amy, I think she has incredibly low self-esteem and is shy (so I have to admire for putting herself out there and going on a show like this). I think her low self-esteem showed in the elevator - her refusal to make eye contact with the other occupants, and her low SE/shyness may have stopped her from offering to help the woman loading the car.

FORT Fogey

As Rattus said, there were a lot of people in front of the hotel: the challenge wasn't in a deserted location. Also, I agree that the woman with the suitcase didn't need help loading lumber: it was just a suitcase. A couple of days ago I saw a woman on a train who was wearing high, (three inch), heels and had a big suitcase. She said she has three brothers located in different parts of the country, had just gotten back from visiting one of them, and has frequent flyer miles. After all that traveling, she continues to chose to wear high heels while lugging around a big suitcase. So it's not asking too much for Amy to help with a suitcase while wearing high heels.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 07-15-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher;3983213;
    Telling people what they should or shouldn't eat, versus offering to open a door, or give words of encouragement, are two differnt types of situations. .
    I wasn't very clear on that point. I was referencing the pregnant smoking woman to telling people what to eat, not about common curtesy.
    Sorry about that.

I think everyone is kind of avoiding mentioning Amy's biggest downfall but I will! I really like Amy and I wanted her to win but really, she is just not the sharpest tool on the workbench. Not even if the only other tool is an eraser. And you would have to explain that analogy to her. Probably twice. Then she would walk away confused and still not really know what you meant.

I think she is a compassionate person and not selfish but I think she just doesn't process the information normally. She doesn't realize that she is in any position to help these people. She may not even realize that they are in peril.

+ Reply to Thread