+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extreme Makeover-Episode Three, Nobody Nose the Trouble I've Seen

Extreme Makeover-Episode Three, Nobody Nose the Trouble I've Seen

Extreme Makeover-Episode Three, Nobody Nose the Trouble I've Seen

Extreme Makeover is show where America’s best surgeons, dentists, trainers and stylists do their magic and transform people’s lives in ways they could never imagine. Two lucky people will be offered every tool available to help them capture the image that will change their outlook on life.

We begin by meeting John Drake a 56 year old florist and father of two who is repeatedly mistaken for their grandfather. His has a nine year old daughter named Shelbi and a two year old son named Nash. His wife Sheri is nineteen years younger than John but does not think of him as old because of his energetic spirit. The realization that he is looking older only hits her when she compares him to pictures. Their eleven year marriage is very strong and they look forward to many years together. John and his wife think they would go out more once John gains the confidence that comes with looking your best. John is very excited to get the makeover and understandably overcome with emotion at hearing the news of getting that chance.

[IMG]images/stor/JohnBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG]
    John Before Extreme Makeover

Next we meet Amy Taylor, a twenty-nine year old cake decorator from Indiana. She is painfully shy because of her looks. Amy says that her insecurities began in elementary school when one of her teeth did not grow back in and the others began to spread out and made her teeth unbalanced. She actually had a tooth right in the middle instead of two front teeth on top. Her brother tells us how people would make fun of her nose asking her hurtful questions only intended to embarrass her. Amy was a gifted student and has a graphic design degree but her shyness kept her from pursuing her dreams. She simply could not find the confidence to engage with people and move forward in a career of graphic design. Her mother tells how Amy sacrificed a scholarship because of her shyness and wonders how Amy’s life would be different today. Amy realizes the makeover would not be a cure for all of her problems but knows that she can start over with confidence. Amy is clearly touched when it is revealed that she will indeed get her Extreme Makeover.

[IMG]images/stor/AmyBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG]
    Amy Before Extreme Makeover

Amy and John head off to LA for Seven weeks. They will each meet with plastic surgeon Dr. Malcolm Lesavoy M.D.. This is the first time we have seen Dr. Lesavoy on Extreme Makeovers.

John is the first to visit the doctor. Dr. Lesavoy is confident that John will look more youthful and rested once the excess skin is removed and his facial muscles are lifted slightly. John is having a hard time keeping his emotions in check.

Next John is off to Dr. Dorfman’s office for a dental consultation. Dr. Dorfman is sure that John’s smile will be improved with all of the dental appliances that are available today. John only has six teeth to work with but has plenty of bone that will allow for dentures and partial dentures to complete his smile.

It is Amy’s turn to meet with Dr. Lesavoy. She tells him what changes she is looking forward to and the doctor agrees. Amy is comfortable with her doctor and his explanation of the procedures and their possible results. Though she is nervous about the surgery she is excited about the rest of her life.

At Dr. Dorfman’s office Amy is overwhelmed at the possibility of a new smile. She feels that she is beginning to face her fears which is the beginning of her transformation. Amy will leave the dentist’s office with whiter teeth and her temporary veneers. Once she sees them she is astonished at how great they look and calls her dad to tell him how fabulous they appear.

The night before surgery John makes a phone call to his wife. She really feels for him as he is going into surgery without his family near him. The morning of the surgery the anesthesiologist reviews his medical history so there are no surprises in the operating room. Once the surgery is underway Dr. Lesavoy explains each step and how they will impact the final look. Five hours later John’s is finished and wheeled into recovery. Then he arrives at the after care facility and is tearfully surprised by a bouquet of roses from his family.

On the morning of Amy’s surgery she calls her mother fairly relaxed. She is looking forward to exciting results. Once on the operating table she has a good and woozy laugh with her anesthesiologist. Dr. Lesavoy gives Amy breast implants through an incision in her armpit that will allow her to have no visible scar in six months time. Next is Amy’s facial surgery beginning with the bags under her eyes and moving on to he nose. Her surgery only takes two and a half hours and she gets to see the new tip of her nose in recovery. She is so pleased, even with the rest of the bandages on her face.

The night after surgery Dr. Lesavoy visits John and Amy at the recovery center and is pleased with their individual progress.

A week after surgery they each get to visit the good doctor at his office.

John has his stitches removed from his eyelids and he expresses that it was more painful that the facelift itself. Once he gets a look at the entire face he feels it was well worth the pain. He did not expect to be totally transformed in just one week's time since he had been wishing for this or so many years.

Once Amy gets a look at her new face she is shocked and feels that the ugly Amy is gone. But that is not all. Amy gets a chance to see her new breasts for the first time and is amazed at how huge they are. She really feels transformed and has already gained so much confidence.

At Dr Dorfman’s office John gets porcelain veneers on his bottom six teeth and the final fit of his dentures are complete. The doctor said that seeing John’s smile and tear filled eyes meant the world to him. John is shocked at how good his teeth look.

Now it is Amy’s turn to complete her dental work with the permanent veneers. Each step of this process seems to bring on more emotion for Amy. Through tears Amy smiles and says that she feels like she looks as good as Cindy Crawford. Now what could be better than that?!

John gets a chance to work out with fitness trainer Michael George and he is motivated to work out three times a week after their meeting.

Michael wants to focus on Amy’s upper body and she is glad that he taught her how to work out properly to gain maximum results. She is looking forward to balancing out her body.

Fashion stylist Eddie Schacknow helps John choose his new wardrobe and is glad that he is willing to brighten up his clothing choices. John seems to enjoy playing with the possibilities especially concerning color.

For Amy, Eddie prefers pastels to bring out her eyes and compliment her skin tones. He encourages her to try styles she might never have picked for herself.

Hair stylist Fancesco(Frank) Galasso has a vision that matches Amy’s as far as her hair is concerned. She has total confidence in his abilities.

Next John sees Frank and gets a surprise at the bold, dark goatee and brows as well as a haircut that suites his new look.

Makeup artist Kerry Malouf completes Amy’s makeover with subtle makeup that simply enhances her beauty. As with everything else Amy is thrilled.

John is nervous on his ride to the reveal party. It has been seven weeks and who could blame him for all the tension he is experiencing. He had a face lift, an eye lift, his ears pinned back, a neck lift, fat injected into his cheeks and a complete dental restoration including dentures, bridgework, and porcelain veneers. Everyone is eager to see his new look. When he walks through the door his daughter is stunned that he looks so different and she and her brother have a hard time adjusting to their daddy’s new look. Everyone is happy for him but there is more to this makeover. Sheri and John are going to have a second honeymoon in Jamaica courtesy of Couples Resort and Air Jamaica. John is pleased with the seemingly endless surprises that are showered on him by Extreme Makeovers. He appreciated the entire journey and says that he has never cried as much as he has in the past seven weeks. All tears of joy.

[IMG]images/stor/JohnAfterEM.jpg[/IMG]
    John After Extreme Makeover

It is Amy’s turn to surprise her family with her metamorphosis. Though her mother has always told her she is beautiful she feels she can now truly believe it since she can see it for herself. Amy had a nose job, her teeth shaped and covered with porcelain veneers, the bags removed from under her eyes, breast implants, her hair styled and colored a vibrant blonde and a lesson in sheer makeup. Her brother is afraid he might pass out from the shock of her new look. Her father is looking forward to her smiling as she has not since she was a child. Amy wows the group as she walks through the curtain. Her grandmother is pleased with the change in confidence that is already apparent. Amy is holding her head up high and obviously has big plans for her future.

[IMG]images/stor/AmyAfterEM.jpg[/IMG]
    Amy After Extreme Makeover

The show does not end here though. We get a chance to see how Tammy Guthrie and Kine Corder have faired since their return home.

Tammy is experiencing a full and happy life with her family. Her relationship with her husband has improved because she really feels she has found the true Tammy. Her husband is thrilled with her new outlook and their life together. He knows that any man with a happy wife is all the more happy for it.

Kine has really been able to match her inner and outer beauty and feels more approachable because of her improved smile. Kine’s mother has noticed that many men are interested in Kine. She says that she left a tomboy and came back a lady. Kine certainly is a lady who always wears her ear rings and lipstick that draw attention to improved looks and attitude.

Next week we will see Karen who wants to be a younger version of herself as a June Bride and Sandra who was recently widowed and starting her life over again. How will these two ladies be transformed? Join me next week for the results.

Email about this article should be sent to feifer@fansofrealitytv.com .

Many thanks to Sher for her input and support on this article.
    Last edited by John; 05-08-2003 at 05:15 PM.

Before and After for Comparison

[IMG]images/stor/AmyBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/AmyBeforeEMProfile.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]images/stor/AmyAfterEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/AmyAfterEMFull.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/AmyAfterEMHalf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]images/stor/JohnBeforeEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/JohnBeforeEMFull.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]images/stor/JohnAfterEM.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]images/stor/JohnAfterEMFull.jpg[/IMG]

What amazing transformations! Great recap, feif!

lol_its_fun
    The only difference I see is before the makeover, they stand like taking passport picture, and after the makeover, they stand like a model with makeup and new hair style.

lol_its_fun, I wish they had shown a before with Amy smiling. It was far more apparant with her smiling how long her nose was before the sugery. It clearly interupted her smile. She also had very hard-to look-at teeth before. Those pictures were just not available. That is where reading the recap falls short of actually seeing the show.

As for John; it is amazing how much excess skin they removed from his neck, under eye and upper eye lid. It really opened up his eyes but is difficult to see because of the glasses in his before picture. I think that the doctor said that he removed 18mm of skin from under each eye. The usual is about 11mm.

I would like to see ABC offer more before and after shots at angles that will truely show the difference they are making with these makeovers. You would think it would be to their advantage to cover it better. We can only hope.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

great recap
    Bring on the Fab 5!

"I said walk, not march like a weird little troll!": Carson Kressley

"My ship works better when I kick it" Spike Spiegel(Cowboy Bebop)

Nice
    I don't want the ocean in my seashell. I just want a boyfriend with a brain cell. Stretch Princess

FORT Fogey

From wallflower to blooming rose

Feif,
    You do a great job on these recaps - pics and all.

I didn't watch it until today, so I didn't have a chance to post until now.

It was very dramatic this week. These surgeons are really marvelous. I wonder what kind of screening process you have to go through to be accepted for an EM? Part of it has to be psychological, I am sure. They also stress the long and painful recovery process lest anyone think differently.

I noticed that Amy kept assuring the doctors that she would bring about the inner changes and was not expecting her makeover to change her life all by itself.

It was very touching how happy her family was for her, especially her brother who hoped that she would realize what a marvelous person she was.

John went from a country guy to card shark look. However, his facial changes were remarkable too.

Why is it that he is the second one that wanted the makeover because his kids made him feel bad about the way he looked?

CG, Thank you. I enjoy writing the recaps for this show.

I do not think that John's kids made him feel bad about his looks. I think he just wanted to look as young as he feels and for people to stop mistaking him for the kid's grandfather. That is understandable. He looked like he was in his seventies instead of his actual mid-fifties. Now he looks more his age.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Excellent job Feif.

I love the inclusion of the photos.
    Both look so much more confident after their ops.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread