+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Twist of Kate

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Twist of Kate

I'm confused. I don't understand why everyone is so upset about Kate having a show of her own. A lot of moms have tv shows and there is no public outcry over that. Sure, I get that people don't like her, but it that's the case, those people don't have to watch her show. I also don't understand how the general public can compare her life to theirs. Some say she couldn't possibly fill their shoes - how do we know that? I know I couldn't fill hers. When my kids were young, I wouldn't have minded hearing what she had to say if she came knocking on my door....regardless of whether I agreed with it or not.

I mean, seriously, who of us haven't made mistakes when raising our kids?

Kate not only made mistakes with her kids, she exploited them. Deliberately. For money and fame.

And she intends to keep on doing so. While lying about it.

I've just plain had enough of her, to boot. She is extremely unlikable, has no talent or charm and I cannot imagine why anybody would take any advice she has to offer or what that advice might be.

Those poor kids!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3892533;
    I'm confused. I don't understand why everyone is so upset about Kate having a show of her own. A lot of moms have tv shows and there is no public outcry over that. Sure, I get that people don't like her, but it that's the case, those people don't have to watch her show. I also don't understand how the general public can compare her life to theirs. Some say she couldn't possibly fill their shoes - how do we know that? I know I couldn't fill hers. When my kids were young, I wouldn't have minded hearing what she had to say if she came knocking on my door....regardless of whether I agreed with it or not.

If she learned from her mistakes, or if she actually spent much time raising her children so she had experience I could benefit from that would be one thing, but she doesn't. Jon did the majority of the kid care between the two of them, the nannies did the rest. The nannies do the majority of the kid care now.

I watched their show sometimes in the old days as my daughter loved watching the kids. Jon bathed the kids, dressed the kids, got the kids off to school, etc etc. Kate appeared once in awhile to criticise Jon and how, for example, the kids weren't wearing what she wanted them to wear. She appeared to do the cooking, so we were suprised to learn that in reality Kate had a cook come in and do the majority of the cooking. It appears it was the same with the child care and nannies even though they weren't shown.

FORT Fan

I have no problem with Kate doing a tv show. She is not the first nor the last mom in entertainment. I wish that she would own up to enjoying it and that it is her choice to do it. According to celebrity net worth her net worth is $3 million - she does financially have the choice to stay home with the children at this time. She would not be the first nor the last mom in entertainment to put child rearing on the front burner, especially while the children were going through a tough transitional period, and pick up her career later on. I'm tired of the "I have to do it to support my children" wah wah wah, as though they couldn't pay the rent for a year unless she did this show. I believe that Kate is just one of those person's for whom there will never be enough "things" in her life. She will always believe that she needs more.

I don't fault her for her mistakes. I don't; however, believe that she is emotionally wired to realize what her biggest mistake was (IMO of course): putting the well-being of the Jon & Kate + 8 show above the well being of her children. By this I mean that while there were several different "seasons" of their show, three seasons at least were shot back to back, with more than 60 either hour or half hour shows produced in less than a year. The children were filmed week in and week out. Many of us believe that this was too much work for toddlers and children 2 - 6 years old.

While the producers of the show were not fined by the Penn Labor Department, they were found in violation of Penn laws. In addition the organization A Minor Consideration, founded by former child celebrities to support children in entertainment raised very specific concerns about the negative acting out by the children on the show that they recognized and empathized with from their experience. I found much of her behavior toward both her husband and children questionable. Even on the rare occasions when she stated it was a mistake, next week we would see the same behavior. There was a complete inability to LEARN from her mistakes and do better.

My problem isn't with Kate doing a show, my problem is with Kate.

So Kate's show is going to be her giving parental advice? That's like asking the fox how best to protect the chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax;3892762;
    Kate not only made mistakes with her kids, she exploited them. Deliberately. For money and fame.

And she intends to keep on doing so. While lying about it.

I've just plain had enough of her, to boot. She is extremely unlikable, has no talent or charm and I cannot imagine why anybody would take any advice she has to offer or what that advice might be.

Those poor kids!

And my problem is with Kate too, Boann.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think the issue people have with Kate is the illusion her people try to create that she's just like an ordinary mom. Kate has gotten freebies, a huge house, a new big van, paid expensive vacations, is addicted to tanning, goes to the spas, and yet they try to play it out like she's a normal mom like Mrs. Jane Smith of Main Street, USA. Everything she's gotten and is given is because of her kids and their show. She'd still be a nobody living in rural PA had TLC not coming knocking. She hasn't really worked for it. And despite saying she wishes she could be a normal mom baking cookies and spending time at home, she never gives that impression, either. She no sooner got home from DWTS with her kids, dropped them off at home, and left again as they watched her drive off.

And the most important is I think her show exploits her kids. She knows that she's nothing without them and can't live her lavish lifestyle without the money they bring in for her.

People have pretty much said what I have felt about the issue, but allow me my two cents.

First off, I can put herself in a way in my shoes - I've been there. The reason I can say that is that I actually have had the chance to film in a movie that was in the area here as an extra. That case, I had to wait about three hours to audition and another two months before I got on board, but I did make it.

What made it special was that I got to film a second day, rare for a non-SAG/AFTRA person. And I cherished both days for that very reason. I didn't ask for or expect anything out of that, and I think that's why I look back on it with good memories.

So, I have no problem with people who have a chance at fame to go out and try it.

My issue with Kate though is that she doesn't know where to stop - she's making who knows how much money with appearances, but we rarely hear about the children except for the "I'm doing this for my children." That's fine and dandy, but do we ever hear about the children doing something good - even showing her some piece of macaroni and paper art?

We don't - we just see her going out and doing more and more stuff. And, when we hear Jon try to get some custody of the kids, there's a big stink about his mistress and such. Mind you, I do NOT by any means condone what he did and find it just as detrimental to the children because it denies their children a complete family life, he DOES care enough about his kids that he told TLC enough, the children aren't filmed anymore, and he is fighting the courts to get some custody. That speaks volumes to me in a world where one or another of the parents frankly don't give a hoot in hell about their children.

I would love to know just HOW much she makes in PR and other stuff for having eight kids because if it's a lot, why not step out of the limelight for a time, raise your kids, then come back? She's not an ugly woman - at least appearance wise, and she could try and have a commercial career. Or, even better, invest in what she has made - sell the mansion they're currently in, and live reasonably.

To me, I feel she cares more about herself than her children when she constantly goes out there and does these shows. If she's using her money wisely, $3 million plus Jon's stipend he must give every month (an addition $240,000/year I think) could be plenty to last for a very long time, even with 8 children.

When you put kids ahead of fame, then there's something wrong I feel with a person. Kids are a joy to be around - and to take away that love for yourself can cause a lot of issues to them and eventually to yourself.

To slightly misquote RuPaul - "If you can't love someone other than yourself, how in the hell can you love someone else?"

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I think part of the problem I have with all of the accusations about Kate's intentions are - well, she's not smart or savvy enough to orchestrate all of this on her own. She's not in charge here. TLC is. Granted, she has the ability to say "no" - but I think she's caught up in the whole thing, the money, the lifestyle, etc., and may not even realize that saying "no" is an option.

As far as Jon is concerned, I give him no credit at all for anything positive in those kids' lives.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3894264;
    I think part of the problem I have with all of the accusations about Kate's intentions are - well, she's not smart or savvy enough to orchestrate all of this on her own. She's not in charge here. TLC is. Granted, she has the ability to say "no" - but I think she's caught up in the whole thing, the money, the lifestyle, etc., and may not even realize that saying "no" is an option.

As far as Jon is concerned, I give him no credit at all for anything positive in those kids' lives.
    I think she knows that "no" is an option, but chooses to not take it. Again, from experience, the lifestyle is indeed a tempting one to try and get into full time and when you have a shot like Kate currently has, you don't want to let it go.

Fortunately, for me reality set in and I chose to do just the two days - even if I had been called back a third day (which was considered I found out).

She might not be able to "orchestrate" stuff on her own; however, I do think we've seen how she can pull heartstrings by saying "I'm doing this for my children" and the like.

I haven't seen "Kate Plus 8" enough to know how much an influence (or not) Jon has on the kids' lives. That said, I do say that whenever someone tells a group - even out of spite for his ex - to stop filming his children, and willingly chooses to risk paying the fines for breaking contract, there is something to be said about the person. Personally, I don't condone his actions one bit, but trying to get the courts to assign days he can visit instead of letting Kate do it says enough about him - he does care enough that he's fighting the courts. Sadly, I don't see enough fathers do that - even ones who would be good mentors to their children.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3894264;

Nobody held a gun to her head and told her she must write personal letters to her children and then publish their personal details of life for everyone to read. She's all about the money and the fame. Her children are secondary.

What kind of advice can she give? Ignore the fact that your children are individual human beings with rights? Use them to make money? Try to avoid being around them at all costs unless a photo op pops up?

All I ask (beg) of all of you is to just NOT WATCH. If no one watches, perhaps she can slink away into obscurity. It's a dream, but it's worth fighting for.

+ Reply to Thread