+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

When we first heard the term "Food Revolution," we weren't exactly sure what that meant. Did a lazy Susan suddenly start spinning out of control? Was ketchup attempting a hostile takeover to dethrone salsa as top condiment? But then, with world-renowned chef and best-selling author Jamie Oliver's name attached, we knew it was going to be all about "good food." Enough said.

Yes, Jamie Oliver is here to start a revolution. The impassioned chef is taking on obesity, heart disease and diabetes in the USA, where our nation's children are the first generation NOT expected to live as long as their parents. Now that's scary!

Jamie is inviting viewers to take a stand and change the way America eats, in our home kitchens, schools and workplaces with the thought-provoking new series, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, which has a special sneak preview SUNDAY, MARCH 21 10|9c on ABC, followed by a 2-hour premiere on FRIDAY MARCH 26 8|7c.

In the six-part series, Jamie heads to Huntington, West Virginia. Why? Well, Huntington has been called the unhealthiest city in America. Jamie wants to do something about that. Through his efforts in this one town, he hopes to start a chain reaction of positive change across the country.

Jamie says, "There's an incredible community in Huntington, and I want this experience to be a celebration of what we can achieve when people come together." Jamie goes on to say, "Wonderful stories will unfold in Huntington, and hopefully this will inspire the rest of the States." Sounds like a plan!

Needled by local naysayers, challenged by ingrained unhealthy habits and government bureaucracy, and welcomed by some of the most surprising youngsters, families and local leaders, Jamie shows how, in just a few short months, he tried to transform Huntington as a template for the entire country. The stakes? Simply the health of our country's citizens and the legacy for its children.

The series is loosely based on Jamie Oliver's U.K. series, Jamie's Ministry of Food and Jamie's School Dinners, which saw his successful grass-roots efforts improve the school lunches in communities there. For the latter show, it resulted in a total overhaul of the school dinner program in the U.K. In America, he's turning his attention to helping people of all ages eat more balanced meals and cook with fresh ingredients, not only at schools, but also homes, and workplaces.

Jamie's recent television credits include Oprah's Big Give for ABC. He is the author of nine popular cookbooks, including "The Naked Chef", "Cook with Jamie" and "Jamie at Home." Hyperion published his latest cookbook, "Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals", in October 2009. Packed with quick, flavorful recipes and step-by-step photos shows beginning and accomplished cooks how to achieve great results with fresh ingredients. You can buy it now!.

We can't wait to see how Jamie makes out in Huntington. We're also curious to see if his efforts there catch on in other places. Let the revolution begin!
    ABC aired the first episode Sunday night and will repeat it tonight at 8, with the next new episode following at 9, which I think will be the show's regular time.

Jamie's been all over TV, from Letterman to Oprah, talking about his mission to get people to eat healthier and to change the food given to our children. I happen to adore Jamie and I really liked the show, although some of the people in the town made me want to reach through the TV and smack them!

I had to laugh when they buried that woman's deep fat fryer. I was puzzled when she talked about how she prepared food that way because it was easy. I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I've deep fried something (albeit without one of those fryers), it wasn't easy - it was messy and a total pain in the butt!

I was disgusted by the food those kids were being served at school - pizza for breakfast and chicken nuggets with fries for lunch? The lunch ladies were horrid to Jamie and didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with what they were feeding those kids. All the food the kids threw away - mainly any healthy things like apples or white milk - was sickening.

The fact that they were only going to do it Jamie's way if the kids picked his food over the junk food is laughable. What child, who's used to eating junk food, is going to pick baked chicken and salad over pizza? They're kids - you give them the food and tell them that's what's for lunch today. Period.

I'm hopeful that things turn around - I think they will. I felt so bad for Jamie crying after everyone treated him so rudely. I think his heart is in the right place. Really though, even if he did call them ignorant, how would that be wrong (at least as far as nutrition)? If those people looked at the school lunches and thought that was a healthy lunch, then that IS ignorance!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I hated my deep fryer. The clean up is awful. I think I used it 3 times and chucked it.

It seemed to me like maybe she didn't clean it and just kept using the oil over and over again. I kept wondering what kind of damage it was going to do to the lawn to bury that thing. I thought it looked like it was still full of oil Now watch, their lawn dies!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Regular

I'm a high school teacher, and the lunches are bad at my school too. None of the teachers eat the cafeteria food because it's so bad, nutrition-wise and taste-wise.
    More depressing news about America's food - I just read an article two days ago about how food manufacturers are now putting "nano particles" (or something close to that) in food products, to make it `taste' better. The FDA hasn't even approved it, apparently, but the manufacturers have already started selling food with them anyway (even fresh fruit, which is covered with a wax-like coating of these!). The same article said that research indicated that nano-particles could damage DNA.

I'm watching now on the west coast and I thought about the whole school lunch thing. Mind you, that was a LONG time ago for me. But even then, when I was allowed to buy lunch (usually packed from home), heck, yeah, I chose the pizza or chicken patty. The thing is...it's because I NEVER saw that stuff at home. We had home-cooked, plain dinners, and until the age of about 16, my brother and I had a choice of milk or water, even the few times we ate at a restaurant. I was just remembering with some friends, but we did not eat meat every dinner, maybe twice a week, otherwise, it was pasta, beans (legumes), stuff like that.

Now, as they showed, the kids are getting the same stuff at home as at school. I was so anticipating this show, I love Jamie, too, but it's making me very depressed.

Wannasee - we didn't have food like that at home either. I remember that, when my mom would fix ONE package of Top Ramen to split between all four of us and it was a huge treat. We'd have it as the soup when she made Japanese. I had no idea how cheap that stuff was! Probably better that we didn't eat it all the time since it's not very good for you. Any junk food was a a big deal because we never had it. We never had soda or even punch - just milk and water. No candy. No sugared cereal. No fried food.

The argument about using knives and forks was ridiculous! I can't believe that they were asking why the kids would need them Having to teach kids that age to eat with forks is just horrifying. I hope those ladies watched themselves on the show and realized how foolish that argument was.

What an uphill battle Jamie's facing. The people in charge - including the lunch ladies - are all SO resistant. Not to mention the fact that the kids don't want anything that isn't deep fried or covered in cheese. I couldn't believe that class of kids who didn't know what any of the vegetables were. When I was in preschool, the teachers were always introducing us to new stuff. I remember coming home one day and demanding artichokes for dinner because we'd had them in school. I think I was 4.

I'm so glad they let Jamie stay longer.

I haven't had time to catch this yet, but kids not knowing how to use knives and forks?

I too remember being exposed to stuff and wanting it-I never really had a whole lot of seafood that I could remember until I went to a trout farm when I was in preschool, and the trout that I caught I devoured in less than 5 minutes (less time than it took my mum to cut up some lemon for me). Also my third grade year, my teacher brought in tofu dogs and organic carrots for us. She was definitely a bit of a hippie, but that alternative thinking did wonders for us and I learned that organics are good at that young age. Then again, I do live in Seattle which has to be one of the most vegetarian-friendly big cities in America.

I mean, we did have some junk food when I was younger, but it was, for the most part, more limited. I wasn't allowed to have food in my bedroom, although I'd sneak candy into my bathroom. Soda was only allowed on Sundays, and when we occasionally would go to Burger King. I admittedly did have a slice of cheese pizza for lunch when I was in middle school, but most of the options were just unappetizing to me. I think the huge problem with many school lunches is that it's either unhealthy, or the healthy stuff is just so bland and unappetizing that it drives people towards the junk.

Back to the show, though, I know that he has a huge challenge in front of him, but if anyone can do it, he can.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3864073;
    I haven't had time to catch this yet, but kids not knowing how to use knives and forks?
    They actually didn't HAVE knives. The school only prepares foods that the kids can eat with their hands or, I think, with a spoon. They looked at Jamie like he was crazy when he asked why they couldn't have knives and forks. One lunch lady wanted documentation that kids in Britain are given and use them properly to eat their lunch in kindergarten and 1st grade.

You know, when all they're eating is pizza, fries, chicken fingers, etc. why do they NEED silverware?

I was raised by a health concious Mother, we were not allowed Candy, Soda, chips..etc and no eating in between meals unless it was fruit or raw carrot and celery sticks. I thought my Mom was mean for not letting us eat junk food. We got the junk food at Grandma's or friends houses though. Once I was old enough to work and had my own money I bought my own junk food because I loved it. In high school I had bad skin and was a little over-weight because of that.
    When I had my own kids I realized my Mother was right. Why would you give your kids junk food and have them over-weight, bad teeth and health?
    I applaud Jamie for what he is doing but he is going to have to make the parents go along with what he's doing or it won't work. Eating habits start at home.

I can't believe that anyone thinks a deep fat fryer is easier than throwing something in the oven and baking it. I have a mini fryer I used exactly 1 time because of the clean up being such a hassle.

I'm glad Jaimie is trying to do something. I know one of the biggest complaints in our districts here which are are not doing ok at all financially is that it's just flat out too expensive to order the healthier foods like fresh fruits and veggies. It's enormously cheaper to order the canned wonders of various foods and the industrial size of frozen chicken bits than it is to order a chicken and break it down or order legs or wings and all the seasonings to go with them.

I like the premise but if districts can't afford his options they certainly won't try to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast