+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Okay, I just went on Hulu and watched the finale show. Jamie had a final big production in the street in front of his kitchen and the head of the local hospital was there along with thousands of others and he presented a check for $80,000 to the school system and a $50,000 to Jamie's kitchen. The kitchen was renamed "Huntington's Kitchen", the kitchen will be underwritten by the hospital in order to continue offering free cooking lessons and food info help to anyone who asked for it. Jamie also had Rascal Flatts there to give a totally free concert. Then it showed Jamie leaving Huntington and going around the country on a press junket to promote the Food Revolution - it showed him on GMA, Rachel Ray, Larry King, Letterman, etc. Then, 3 months later, he went back to Huntington to check on progress and commitment and found out that Rhonda, the school system nutritionist (or just head of ordering for all the schools, not sure which) had a problem with a massive amount of processed foods stockpiled in the freezers that hadn't been used so she had decided to have "processed food Fridays" in the schools in order to help use it all up. It wasn't totally clear, but I think in the end they had decided not to do that. The schools superintendent and Rhonda sort of put it on Jamie to talk to USDA and get them to offer fresher, less processed choices cheaper. (Which is a tall, tough order - they never said how they're going to try and do that) Then Jamie got the cooks from the first elementary school to go around with him and talk to the cooks in the other elementary schools and everyone agreed to come to a "boot camp" that he put on where parents, teachers, kids and the school cooks all came together to learn things from each other and talk about what they could do.

It was a good episode and I always get inspired by Jamie to just immediately go in my own kitchen and start chopping up onions and peppers and squash and just COOK. And I generally don't enjoy cooking, so that's saying something. What I would like to see is Jamie going back to Huntington in the fall and doing another check up to see how it's going. Once school gets out for summer, wonder if less people will be coming for free cooking lessons at the kitchen and wonder if the kids will start eating whatever is easiest again without the school structure around them? Want to see a lot of follow up on the show....how ARE they going to take on the government to offer fresher foods cheaper?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

FORT Fogey

Thanks for the great recap, ElizabethG. I liked the fact that Alice, who at first was Jamie's nemesis among the cooks, was advocating for the program to the other schools' cooks and to the bigwigs. She really seemed to be behind him and the whole effort ... pretty much a complete 180.

One of the reasons Jamie organized the boot camp was because he saw the brown-bag lunches that the elementary school kids were eating in the lunchroom ... mostly candy and chips, and those unhealthy "lunchables" ... and he wanted to educate the parents, as both he and the cooks felt the parents were undermining the whole effort by not packing healthier lunches for their kids.

Plus, the bit about Rhonda was that not only was she trying to use up the processed foods on Fridays, but she had also already ordered more processed foods for the 2011 school year! I think Jamie got her to cancel the order. I'm not sure if Rhonda was really behind the program, or if she was just a bit slow on the uptake.
    Last edited by Lucky22; 04-25-2010 at 02:46 PM.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I think of all the people that were a prominent part of the show, Rhonda bothered me THE MOST. I find her to be incredibly passive aggressive and unable to commit to anything long term. Don't get me wrong, I totally, completely and 100% realize she is just a single part of a huge bureaucracy but to have risen that far up in the chain, I totally, completely and 100% expect better of her. For me, she comes across as someone who plays nice and says what you want her to but the minute you turn your back, she does precisely what she wants to do. Either that OR she placates each person in the chain while she's with them and whichever one causes her the most immediate grief she'll go their way. Rhonda's like a whirly-gig just turning in the breeze. ARGH! She aggravated me more than the rest of them. At least in the end Alice totally got on board and Rod did a big ol 180 about 1/2 way thru (have to admit I wonder if Rod was so opposed initially just to BE opposed or play the villain or whatever because he really seemed to turn around once he saw things at the Funeral Home, etc). Also asking Jamie to go to the USDA to petition them to offer more fresh foods... hold up... didn't US Food Service clearly indicate they HAD the fresh food and it WAS available to the schools? If that's the case (and I have no reason to believe it's not true since they said it on national television) why would Jamie, Rhonda or anyone have to petition the USDA to provide the fresh foods?

Anyway, I love Jamie and love his enthusiasm. He totally, completely and 100% believes in what he believes in and will go to the mat for it. Gotta love that in anyone!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3885679;
    Also asking Jamie to go to the USDA to petition them to offer more fresh foods... hold up... didn't US Food Service clearly indicate they HAD the fresh food and it WAS available to the schools? If that's the case (and I have no reason to believe it's not true since they said it on national television) why would Jamie, Rhonda or anyone have to petition the USDA to provide the fresh foods?

Anyway, I love Jamie and love his enthusiasm. He totally, completely and 100% believes in what he believes in and will go to the mat for it. Gotta love that in anyone!
    Yeah, what about that?? On the 3rd show I believe, US Foods clearly showed they could get the fresher foods. I tend to think that the schools are somehow obligated to order a certain amount of things thru USDA, but maybe somebody with a lot more knowledge than I could elaborate on the whole "who do you buy from" process.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I wish Jamie had opened a cooking school here in Northern Virginia because I would be going.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Just watched the final episode and I'm so happy about what Jamie did and what he's promoting. The proof was in the pudding, so to speak -- the 2 most outspoken people against him, the DJ and Alice, turned around to be his biggest advocates.

One thing I saw that noone mentioned was the admission by the first elementary school lunchladies that the food wasn't as hard and didn't take as long to prepare as they originally thought. I thought that was huge as that's always the first thing that goes through people's minds when they're cooking from scratch. I wanted them to play that part over and over for any unwilling lunchroom help.

I hope the show will inspire people to bring about changes in not only the schools but their lives at home as well.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

It seems to me that the USDA and the companies that provide the horrid processed foods to schools are a lot like pharmaceutical companies in that they have a stranglehold on the school lunch business and don't want to let go. The biggest problem in making these healthy changes will be the fight against those mega companies and the government.

The very idea that the USDA thinks those processed foods are fine for our children is horrifying. It makes me wonder exactly what kind of money is changing hands here. They must get huge kickbacks from those food companies.

I actually felt sorry for Alice to hear that people were attacking her through email. I was seriously annoyed with her and thought she was a pain in the ass, but I never would have sent her hate mail.

At the boot camp, some of the parents did say how angry they were about processed food Fridays. That one mother, in particular, said they'd cut out white flour in their house and didn't want all the work they'd done at home to be undone at school. I think, for many of the families at least, it's a case of "when you know better, you do better." The lunch ladies found that the healthy food didn't really take as much time to prepare as they thought. It's the same at home.

I was HORRIFIED at what those kids had in their lunches. Jelly beans and two kinds of potato chips - are you kidding me? Those Lunchables are nothing but preservatives, sodium and fat...oh, and sugar. Every once in a great while I get the bologna and American cheese one - it's total nostalgia - but to put them in your kid's lunch every day is just ridiculous. How hard is it to make a turkey sandwich? My brown bag lunches were a sandwich, carrot sticks and a box of raisins and I bought white milk at school. That kind of lunch is WAY cheaper and much healthier than a Lunchable.

That flavored milk thing is just awful. Strawberry milk? Blech.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3885800;
    It seems to me that the USDA and the companies that provide the horrid processed foods to schools are a lot like pharmaceutical companies in that they have a stranglehold on the school lunch business and don't want to let go. The biggest problem in making these healthy changes will be the fight against those mega companies and the government.

The very idea that the USDA thinks those processed foods are fine for our children is horrifying. It makes me wonder exactly what kind of money is changing hands here. They must get huge kickbacks from those food companies.

I actually felt sorry for Alice to hear that people were attacking her through email. I was seriously annoyed with her and thought she was a pain in the ass, but I never would have sent her hate mail.

At the boot camp, some of the parents did say how angry they were about processed food Fridays. That one mother, in particular, said they'd cut out white flour in their house and didn't want all the work they'd done at home to be undone at school. I think, for many of the families at least, it's a case of "when you know better, you do better." The lunch ladies found that the healthy food didn't really take as much time to prepare as they thought. It's the same at home.

I was HORRIFIED at what those kids had in their lunches. Jelly beans and two kinds of potato chips - are you kidding me? Those Lunchables are nothing but preservatives, sodium and fat...oh, and sugar. Every once in a great while I get the bologna and American cheese one - it's total nostalgia - but to put them in your kid's lunch every day is just ridiculous. How hard is it to make a turkey sandwich? My brown bag lunches were a sandwich, carrot sticks and a box of raisins and I bought white milk at school. That kind of lunch is WAY cheaper and much healthier than a Lunchable.

That flavored milk thing is just awful. Strawberry milk? Blech.
    People are something. I mean, to think Alice a pain in the ass is one thing... to ACT on that is completely inappropriate! No wonder kids are such bad-asses these days... they learn that behavior

And for the school district to think the flavored milk was fine since at least the kids were getting calcium? That's absolutely pathetic! The amount of sugar pretty much negates the benefit of calcium. I was glad to hear that one teacher say the kids were behaving better and had less discipline issues while the clean food was being served. All the sugar and chemicals in the processed crap is no good for anyone... especially not young children whose minds and bodies are still developing.

"When you know better, you do better"... right on! Knowledge is king!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

There was a guy behind me on the checkout line at the market over the weekend. He had several containers of a product I'd never seen before.
    I looked at him and said, "Oh, strawberry milk....I've never seen that before."
    He just looked at me and said nothing.
    Perhaps, he had seen the Jamie Oliver show and was feeling guilty!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I wonder if strawberry milk sales have taken a hit?

I used to make (sugarless) peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat for the kids most days in grade school... didn't trust them to keep other sandwich food cool enough... and some easy eat fruit like an apple, tangerine or banana, milk to buy at school.... Both grew up to be lean 6 footers... And you can't get a whole lot cheaper than peanut butter. I think they did buy lunch in high school but can't recall any more... I'll have to ask them next time I see them.

+ Reply to Thread