+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3865884;
    Kids can have a way of taking care of their own. I know of one school to where the kids put unopened milk cartons, ect ON TOP or next to the trash containers. If someone is hungry still, they just go take one. No one sees, no one teases, no one has to ask.

Without community programs and help, these kids CAN go hungry over the weekend/breaks/summer vacation. Some schools have backpack programs to where the kids take home a backpack full of food. Others can have kids help out at the cafeteria and get food to take home.
    And as for lunchroom monitors, many schools are having to cut down on funding for such things (usually the staff assistants/paraeducators do that). And they also have to deal with behavior and overcrowding.
    That is such a great idea, and sad at the same time that it is needed.

My daughter is in 2nd grade & I had her watch some of the show with me. I told her that the kids on there were having pizza for breakfast & she actually laughed out loud at the idea. At her school they have a little garden area where each grade gets a planter box or 2. I know when they plant something edible they use it for the salad bar at lunch.
    I know how you all feel about the throwing out of food & recycleable things. I was practically having a panic attack.
    I have heard that many kids don't get any food at home, so that the school meals have to have 100% of a kid's RDA.
    I have so much to say about the show, but I think most of you have already touched on it. So, I'll just say that I'm going to keep watching. Oh, I've also found a blog from a teacher that is eating in the cafeteria every day for a year. It's interesting to read her point of view. Here's the link, I don't think it's a FORT violation to post it (if it is, sorry): Fed Up With Lunch: The School Lunch Project
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3866363;
    My daughter is in 2nd grade & I had her watch some of the show with me. I told her that the kids on there were having pizza for breakfast & she actually laughed out loud at the idea. At her school they have a little garden area where each grade gets a planter box or 2. I know when they plant something edible they use it for the salad bar at lunch.
    I know how you all feel about the throwing out of food & recycleable things. I was practically having a panic attack.
    I have heard that many kids don't get any food at home, so that the school meals have to have 100% of a kid's RDA.
    I have so much to say about the show, but I think most of you have already touched on it. So, I'll just say that I'm going to keep watching. Oh, I've also found a blog from a teacher that is eating in the cafeteria every day for a year. It's interesting to read her point of view. Here's the link, I don't think it's a FORT violation to post it (if it is, sorry): Fed Up With Lunch: The School Lunch Project
    What is wrong with the parents of these kids? It is their job to see that their children have food. I've been poor, I mean really on social services poor and I never let my child want for food. I didn't have to with all the government programs available to parents there is no excuse except poor parenting.

I'm not saying we shouldn't feed the kids, I'm just saying what the hell kind of parents are out there that don't make feeding and caring for their kids their number one objective???

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3864640;
    I worked in a school's psych dept one summer while in college and I had to file all these reports. Many teachers had a supply of nappies in their desk for all the young kids that came to class with full diapers. Many of these kids were put on the bus dirty and unfed and this was in town of a 250,000 people in industrial Pennsylvania.
    5 year olds sent to school without being potty trained!! That's outrageous. Do parents feel it's the schools job to feed their kids and potty train them and morally train their children, what the heck is going on in some of you other crazy states???

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;3864140;
    I was raised by a health concious Mother, we were not allowed Candy, Soda, chips..etc and no eating in between meals unless it was fruit or raw carrot and celery sticks. I thought my Mom was mean for not letting us eat junk food. We got the junk food at Grandma's or friends houses though. Once I was old enough to work and had my own money I bought my own junk food because I loved it. In high school I had bad skin and was a little over-weight because of that.
    When I had my own kids I realized my Mother was right. Why would you give your kids junk food and have them over-weight, bad teeth and health?
    I applaud Jamie for what he is doing but he is going to have to make the parents go along with what he's doing or it won't work. Eating habits start at home.
    I think it's a balancing act. You snuck those foods because your mother denied them to you, and then it made them important to you. Snack foods can be worked into a perfectly healthy diet as a once in awhile treat. Total denial of treats to kids, at least in the families I've seen do, ends up making them much more obsessed about them in an unhealthy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3867001;
    5 year olds sent to school without being potty trained!! That's outrageous. Do parents feel it's the schools job to feed their kids and potty train them and morally train their children, what the heck is going on in some of you other crazy states???
    What was really nuts is some of these kids had files 5 inches thick and the paper was this really thin onion skin type paper. So many parents were sending their kids to school unwashed, in dirty clothes, and not fed; I was appalled. So many of the problems started on the school bus with the other kids calling these kids stinky and other names. Amazing how lack of parental concern can damage a child for life. Makes you want people to get a license before they can have children.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3866999;
    I'm not saying we shouldn't feed the kids, I'm just saying what the hell kind of parents are out there that don't make feeding and caring for their kids their number one objective???
    Drug addicts, alcoholics, homeless people.....
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

PWS
    FORT Fogey

This is a fantastic idea for a reality show....and such a contrast to shows like the housewives or even the searching for "love" (or 25 hook ups in 4 weeks) shows that make you feel like you need a shower after watching.
    This is what reality TV can do, to educate while entertaining.
    PS I, too, was surprised to see a deep fryer be such a central part of an American home. They were in Britain, where everyone home fried their chips and fish every night when we lived there, but I wouldn't have thought Americans would know how to do that. Especially since one thing it is REALLY easy to get around here is French fries!

Drug addicts, alcoholics, homeless people.....

Actually, I think people would be very surprised to hear/know that many middle and upper class people are guilty of doing this to their children, too.
    Many will say it's because they're busy, etc. don't have time to make proper meals so they grab junk on the road or else kids fend for themselves.

What this show has been ALLOWED to show is actually fascinating.

1.) the fact that Jamie CAN be an obnoxious condescending twit.
    2.) the fact that he (at least a few episodes in) is kind of failing
    3.) WHY he's failing. The show can't quite help but imply its a local failure in some ways, but its also seriously taking on the absurd federal regulations, which make NO sense in a modern context of what's actually healthy and what isn't.

Jamie's many failures shown seem to be about equally split three ways between his own big mouth, local people doing it "easier"/"cheaper" for various reasons (many which they are forced into--but more on that later), and these outright obscene federal regulations (the "Free lunch" program ones being the worst of all).

There's a hell of a lot to think about coming from this show. But also a strange sense of hopelessness, since if you don't see laws changed, if you don't see the President on TV talking about what a disgrace the current rules are, then it won't do much long term.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread