+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't get the flavored milk thing either. You want them to get the healthy benefits of milk when they won't drink it? Give them a calcium supplement. Don't douse it in sugar.

My former SIL and I used to have arguments about this sort of thing. The only way her kids would eat salad (and she got iceberg lettuce) was if they could drown it in ranch dressing. I told her there's no point in feeding them salad if they cover it with fat and sodium. She thought I was nuts.

I think the thing I have the biggest problem in all this talk about school lunches is the argument that they want to give the kids foods that they like. I'm sorry, but if you give most 8 year olds what they like, they'll be eating hot dogs, french fries and chocolate milk and they'll all weigh 200 lbs! Who are the adults in this situation and why are children being allowed to dictate this stuff?
    I agree with you about the feeding the kids what they want. The kids who truly need the hot lunches (who don't necessarily get another meal during the day) will eat the food regardless because they're hungry. They are not going to get all into their preferences. The rest of the kids who do get other meals will not suffer if they don't clean their tray at lunch time. Just put some food on there and see if they'll eat. Yeah that results in a lot of waste from the ones that don't eat it. But I know there's a lot of waste already with school lunches.

Kids who are hungry will eat. I never understood the whole tricking kids into eating anything like drenching stuff with salad dressing (even the no nutritional value iceberg lettuce). Yeah it sucks to hear kids whine. I know it does but honestly when it comes down to it I cook one meal and one meal only. Either they eat it or they don't. If they don't then they wait until the next meal of the day or snack time to get some food. End of story. Usually takes one or two times before they figure it out. But I will not cook two dinners because of whining children.

The only healthy benefit of milk is the calcium. If they're worried about the calcium intake of these kids there are other foods rich in calcium they could be feeding the children in addition to milk. It just blows my mind that they sugar up milk to essentially give kids calicum. Seriously. That's just sad.

I wrote a letter of complaint to, I think, Chef Boyardee, about those commercials where the parents don't want someone to mention that there's a full serving of vegetables in every can. What a great message to put out there: That's right kids! Vegetables taste horrible! I got back a canned response, but I felt like I had to let someone know I thought those ads were crap.

I think kids may not like regular milk because everything else they eat has SO much sugar in it. It's like when you eat a high sodium diet, anything without lots of salt tastes bland. I remember thinking milk was the best thing ever when I was a kid. We got chocolate milk (with Quik in it) as a really special treat and that wasn't nearly as sweet as the stuff you can buy now. It tastes like syrup to me.

I just don't understand when we started allowing kids to dictate so much - what they eat, what they learn in school, what they watch on TV. Is this backlash against people growing up with really strict parents and now not wanting to give their kids a bunch of rules?

I have friends whose kids each the most appalling processed junk. When you offer those kids an apple or a carrot stick though, they'll eat it. Has it all boiled down to convenience? What's so hard about throwing an apple and a box of raisins or a bag of carrot sticks in their lunch?

I know I'm not a parent, but I was a kid and I know I wasn't allowed to eat the kind of junk food that kids now eat. Yes, there wasn't as much of it in stores, but still. If we didn't like what was for dinner, we were welcome to eat a bowl of cereal (and we didn't have the sugared kind), but that was it. My mom only ever caved on liver and onions, which she loved and my brother and I hated. When she made it, she'd prepare something else for the two of us...and later the three of us when my dad admitted he didn't like liver either!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I'm not in favor of a school lunch program providing what kids "want". I hope it did not come across that way because that is totally opposite of how I feel. If my tax dollars are going to support ANY food program, I do not want to pay for crap food. Be it a school lunch program or food stamps or whatever. I'm a huge proponent of clean, natural food... to be consumed in its natural state.

And I agree about there being no point in giving kids "salad" (iceberg lettuce always reminds me of my mother LOL!) and drowning it in fats and being happy that at least the "salad" is being eaten. They're better off w/o it! LOL!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

My kids' school offers water, plain milk & sometimes chocolate milk. I think most of the time my kids will drink the water & sometimes the chocolate milk. I figure that's OK though since I know at home, they rarely get chocolate milk.
    Something else that is really concerning for me is the amount of time that the kids get to eat lunch. My kids always come home & tell me they didn't have enough time to eat their whole lunch, especially if they buy it (because they have to wait in line). I think we are teaching kids now to just shovel in the food & finish up, so they can go play.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

In elementary school when it was all said and done we had like half an hour to eat (after waiting in line and stuff). Then right to recess. If we were in the group serving the food (6th's graders got to help serve and do dishes in my school) you ate last which meant you had less time to eat. If you were cleaning up you ate before everyone so had also about half an hour or so to eat.

In highschool we had an hour total for lunch but our line moved very fast and if you did a salad or something like that it was a really simple purchase there.

I think about an hour is enough for lunch if they stagger when kids go to lunch so it's not one giant line up. that's how we did it in elementary and highschool. Everything was staggered so not everyone showed up at the same time.

Usually I brought lunch though because I despised hot lunch and it was my "oh shoot I forgot my lunch" option basically.

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat View Post
    My kids' school offers water, plain milk & sometimes chocolate milk. I think most of the time my kids will drink the water & sometimes the chocolate milk. I figure that's OK though since I know at home, they rarely get chocolate milk.
    Something else that is really concerning for me is the amount of time that the kids get to eat lunch. My kids always come home & tell me they didn't have enough time to eat their whole lunch, especially if they buy it (because they have to wait in line). I think we are teaching kids now to just shovel in the food & finish up, so they can go play.
    That's true in our school too - many of them rush through their lunches and hardly eat. They're in a hurry to go outside and play, and even if it's not recess time yet, they will throw away SO much food, it's terrible. Many more kids are bringing lunches from home than ever before, and it's usually filled with terrible choices. They won't eat the school lunch, because that actually might have vegetables and fruit! So many kids are eating only crackers, gummy fruit things, etc. One kid in my class last year had a go-gurt every day for lunch as his healthy food then tons of treats he could eat after it. Kids are pickier than ever, from what I've seen - and I've been teaching a long time.

Our school has always had chocolate milk as a choice, but just this Spring added the strawberry too - I almost died. It's very discouraging!

Funny story though - a little boy was bringing "frosting" sandwiches to school in addition to other treats in his lunchbox. I made a comment to him that he needed something healthier than that to eat, and he went home and told his parents. I got a note the next day that they were using Nutella in the sandwich, not frosting - the kid just called it that.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    Funny story though - a little boy was bringing "frosting" sandwiches to school in addition to other treats in his lunchbox. I made a comment to him that he needed something healthier than that to eat, and he went home and told his parents. I got a note the next day that they were using Nutella in the sandwich, not frosting - the kid just called it that.
    That's funny! My G-ma used to give my cousin a piece of chocolate everyday & called it her vitamin, so she wouldn't get in trouble with my Uncle!

I think at our school, the kids maybe get 30 minutes to get to the cafeteria & eat. They have to stay in there the whole time & then they get dismissed to go play. At least at our school candy & soda aren't allowed. I also agree Navybelle that kid's do seem pickier, my kids included.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I love that those parent thought Nutella was better than frosting! Those commercials are fooling no one. It isn't a "hazelnut spread with a touch of cocoa" Putting chocolate spread on whole grain toast does not make a healthy snack!
    just1paul likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread