+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

School officials keep claiming they don't want negative publicity. Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't this ultimately be positive publicity for whatever school system? Like, look at the progressive changes this school system is making, which set it up as a model for others.
    I don't know man I don't know man I don't know man I don't know I don't know

IN theory it could be positive publicity but what I've noticed with his show is that he spends a substantial amount of time belittling and humiliating whatever the offending thing is (be it cafe or school). With so much time spent tearing down the places throughout the season the minimal positive publicity is hardly worht it

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

For me it always comes across as "exposing" the situation that exists. Jaime doesn't create a poor nutritional situation... he goes into a place where it already exists and pulls back the curtain to expose it. Those places (Huntington, WV's school district and the LA Unified School District) don't appreciate it and would prefer not to have to defend it. If the institutions were serving up high-quality, nutritionally sound, wholesome, real, balanced foods, they'd have nothing to be concerned about... and then Jaime would have nothing to "fix"... and then there would be no show

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

I just caught up on episodes, and while some of the aspects are exposing, I really liked the fact that in the one school he was working with students to help teach them to cook, and the general educational aspect - even if he avoids the lunches aspect. The fact that some students did NOT know where their food came from is horrifying, and should be taught in the general elementary curriculum, and some basic cooking skills in the middle school curriculum - many kids may not have parents at home, so they should be educated on how to purchase something that they can make at home (even if it's just boiling, microwaving an egg, cutting a salad, etc.).

Looks like this show is canceled, with one more show this week. It saddens me to watch the kids detail how diabetes and heart disease have affected their families--they've certainly affected mine. We are fighting an uphill battle in regard to food, with what's largely available at fast food restaurants and what's cheapest at grocery stores. I think we used to be served healthier food at school--not that it tasted great--and that things have perhaps changed because they please kids more.
    I don't know man I don't know man I don't know man I don't know I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by quentcomps View Post
    I think we used to be served healthier food at school--not that it tasted great--and that things have perhaps changed because they please kids more.
    I don't think the food is based on what kids want, I think it's based on cost. It's cheaper to buy more pre-processed food.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat View Post
    I don't think the food is based on what kids want, I think it's based on cost. It's cheaper to buy more pre-processed food.
    Some schools that DO have healthy food have shown that it isn't any more expensive. I think the crappy food is easier to prepare - you just have to open big cans or heat up frozen foods. Plus, the companies that make this stuff have a stranglehold on the school lunch system. It's about money, but it's about the money these big companies are making and I think it's very difficult to get out from under their thumb.

I was happy to see that the LAUSD isn't offering flavored milk anymore. I never thought strawberry milk sounded like a good idea.
    quentcomps likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

There's still quite the debate within LAUSD regarding flavored milk. They'd stopped... for now... but the "reprieve" is not permanent. They're trying to argue that flavored milk is not higher in sugar than other options such as juices. Well, uhm... there's a HUGE difference as far as I'm concerned. Flavored milk has sugar ADDED to it and that is enough to turn me against it. I'm not some polly-purist or whatever but I do believe it best to eat food in it's natural form. Fruit juice that's 100% juice might be high in sugar but it's not added sugar, it's sugar that is naturally in the fruit. Gawd this whole argument really gets my blood boiling.

Also the concept of feeding the kids what they want is based on simple economics. It costs money for a school to have a food program so they want to serve what the kids want... because if it's what they want, they'll buy/select it otherwise the food will be bypassed and go to waste. We're raising a generation of kids who want crap food because it's targeted to them and marketed to them and they're brainwashed to believe it's "good". It's so hard to combat it. Not impossible, just so hard. I honestly applaud Jaime Oliver for what he's TRYING to do!
    Last edited by Marlena_M; 06-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I like what Jaime is trying to do but I'm not a big fan of his methods of doing it. It looks like a bull in a china shop at times.

Anyhow, I'm not a fan of cows milk in general and it's pretty rare to find 100% fruit juice juice with absolutely no sugars added. Juice is a poor choice for children to drink as well. Water would be a better option. If you put plain milk up against water you'll find the children picking the milk if one insists their children drink milk.

I don't understand why they put flavored milks in. If the kids aren't going to drink their milk who cares? Kids don't always eat beans either but you don't see them tarting up beans to make the kids eat them.

I don't get the flavored milk thing either. You want them to get the healthy benefits of milk when they won't drink it? Give them a calcium supplement. Don't douse it in sugar.

My former SIL and I used to have arguments about this sort of thing. The only way her kids would eat salad (and she got iceberg lettuce) was if they could drown it in ranch dressing. I told her there's no point in feeding them salad if they cover it with fat and sodium. She thought I was nuts.

I think the thing I have the biggest problem in all this talk about school lunches is the argument that they want to give the kids foods that they like. I'm sorry, but if you give most 8 year olds what they like, they'll be eating hot dogs, french fries and chocolate milk and they'll all weigh 200 lbs! Who are the adults in this situation and why are children being allowed to dictate this stuff?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread