+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Even if Jamie hasn't been allowed into the schools, he might still be having an impact on them. This is definitely a step in the right direction!
    L.A. Unified to give up chocolate milk in school cafeterias

L.A. schools Supt. John Deasy is expected to announce Tuesday night that the nation’s second-largest school system will no longer offer chocolate- and strawberry-flavored milk starting next fall. The announcement, according to district and entertainment-industry sources, will be made on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" during an appearance with celebrity chef Jamie Oliver.

The policy change is part of a carefully negotiated happy ending between the Los Angeles Unified School District and Oliver. The chef has made his confrontations with the school system a main theme of the current season of his reality show, "Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution." Both Oliver’s and Kimmel’s shows air on ABC.

L.A. Unified had already been considering doing away with flavored milk, which advocates, including Oliver, criticize because of its added sugar. District officials, in fact, had asked suppliers if they could formulate a flavored milk with no added sugar, said a district source. If they succeed, flavored milk could reappear.

District officials have an unhappy recent history with reality shows. The district paid for an estimated $100,000 in repairs after the show "School Pride" spruced up Hollenbeck Middle School. The reality shows haven’t fared that well with L.A. Unified either — both "School Pride" and Oliver’s series suffered from unenviable ratings.
    L.A. Unified to give up chocolate milk in school cafeterias | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

When is this show going to be on again? Am I missing it?
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I think they yanked it after 2 airings. The ratings were abysmal.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

I think that the reason this show did so well during it's first season is because it was shown during the summer.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks Magic Bullet for the link!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I enjoyed the show when it debuted over the summer.
    When it premiered for this season, I thought it was overly scripted for dramatic effect. And, while I'm not the biggest proponent of LAUSD, I do think the show was overly one sided in their depiction of it.
    Jamie was not banned; however, he'd like viewers to believe he was.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Thanks for this - I just said to DH last night that I wondered why it wasn't taping... of course, it only took me 3 weeks to realize this.

Hope they'll air the remaining episodes over the summer.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Is anyone else watching this? This show is so positive. It's also a little like the shows Michael Moore used to have, if you can appreciate that.

Holy crap, Chief Administrative Officer Palpatine.
    Last edited by quentcomps; 06-10-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    I don't know man I don't know man I don't know man I don't know I don't know

FORT Newbie

The show now airs on Friday night.

+ Reply to Thread