+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    You will honestly taste the difference and have a really hard time going back unless you were eating some spectacular ground beef from the market.
    I've been thinking my ground beef has been lacking, so I'm sure I'll notice a difference. Do I just ask them to gring me some beef & they'll know what cut to use or do I need to tell them?

Something else I forgot to post about FR, was I understrand that going to LAUSD is huge publicity, but there are tons of school districts in LA county that he could have gone to instead, not sure why he didn't try that.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat View Post
    I've been thinking my ground beef has been lacking, so I'm sure I'll notice a difference. Do I just ask them to gring me some beef & they'll know what cut to use or do I need to tell them?

Something else I forgot to post about FR, was I understrand that going to LAUSD is huge publicity, but there are tons of school districts in LA county that he could have gone to instead, not sure why he didn't try that.
    Cut just depends on your personal taste and feelings about fat and so forth. Lots of people use chunk for burger. Some do sirloin, rib eye, brisket etc. Some mix them up in various ways. If you have a good butcher and tell him what you want flavor/fat wise he can help you out. Might have to call ahead make sure they have time (it's not the best thing to get when it's busy).

We have a meat shop here in town with a great butcher. He does have hamburger for sale and at first I thought I would insult him asking him to grind up some meat for me. But he had no problem with it.

But sometimes I like the chuck burgers and sometimes I like the sirloin burgers.

Jaime has a new cooking show on The Cooking Channel called Jaime's Food Escapes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat View Post
    I gues I just figured that was the case for fast foos places, but not necessarily the ground beef at the market. I'll probably be having it ground in front of me from now on.
    Read Fast Food Nation. You won't ever want to eat ground beef again. The lowest quality ground beef is sold to schools, btw. Nice, huh?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Does anyone else think Jamie is looking puffy?

I am enjoying this show. My kids brown bag it everyday so they were surprised that US kids get lunches provided for them.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I caught a few snippets of today's show and while I have read that the school board felt justified in restricting Jaime's shoot from a previous bad experience with a different film crew, their actions are just making them look worse and worse.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Having worked for LAUSD a while ago, I'd probably be the last person to ever defend them.
    However, I do in this instance.
    I love the concept of healthy eating and totally agree that people are given / and continue to make very poor food choices.
    However, this show is just getting too over the top for me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I caught a few snippets of today's show and while I have read that the school board felt justified in restricting Jaime's shoot from a previous bad experience with a different film crew, their actions are just making them look worse and worse.
    I agree! It really did make them look closed/unwilling to cooperate, and almost unreasonable. I think the message is good, and any "over the top" actions are probably because it's a TV show, but since healthiness is the goal I'm willing to overlook it. I hope the message can spread, because kids are not eating well, in general, and their health is affected.

FORT Newbie

I am a serious healthy eater and am very interested in what's being fed to children in schools. However, watching this show and knowing a bit about the LAUSD (and California education in general), I have to say that Jamie's a bit off base this season.

The larger problem here is the lack of funding for schools. Schools get X amount of money from the state to fund their programming, and this includes school lunches. Given the massive, massive cutbacks to school funding in recent years, the amount of money allocated to feed each child is just ridiculously small. There is NO WAY that LAUSD or similar school districts who are wrestling over nickels with the state government can possibly make the kind of changes Jamie wants them to make. They cannot afford it. This is not the LAUSD's fault. It is Sacramento's fault. It is the voters' fault. It's a larger problem than LAUSD, and it's way over Jamie's head.

Yes, there should be better food in schools. It's appalling what gets served to kids in LAUSD and similar districts. I wouldn't let my kid eat that stuff. And yet, until there is more funding dedicated towards schools in general, there's not much to be done about it. Parents can potentially make changes at individual schools through fundraising efforts, but tackling LAUSD as a whole is rather useless.

I recently moved out of LAUSD into a smaller, wealthier school district and the food options here are considerably, considerably better. There's a real grassroots effort here by parents and local government to improve school food, and many local fundraising efforts have been taken up for that very reason. When you're talking about an organization as large and underfunded as LAUSD, however, Jamie Oliver taking school board members to task will solve nothing. He's got to think bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud03 View Post
    I am a serious healthy eater and am very interested in what's being fed to children in schools. However, watching this show and knowing a bit about the LAUSD (and California education in general), I have to say that Jamie's a bit off base this season.

The larger problem here is the lack of funding for schools. Schools get X amount of money from the state to fund their programming, and this includes school lunches. Given the massive, massive cutbacks to school funding in recent years, the amount of money allocated to feed each child is just ridiculously small. There is NO WAY that LAUSD or similar school districts who are wrestling over nickels with the state government can possibly make the kind of changes Jamie wants them to make. They cannot afford it. This is not the LAUSD's fault. It is Sacramento's fault. It is the voters' fault. It's a larger problem than LAUSD, and it's way over Jamie's head.

Yes, there should be better food in schools. It's appalling what gets served to kids in LAUSD and similar districts. I wouldn't let my kid eat that stuff. And yet, until there is more funding dedicated towards schools in general, there's not much to be done about it. Parents can potentially make changes at individual schools through fundraising efforts, but tackling LAUSD as a whole is rather useless.

I recently moved out of LAUSD into a smaller, wealthier school district and the food options here are considerably, considerably better. There's a real grassroots effort here by parents and local government to improve school food, and many local fundraising efforts have been taken up for that very reason. When you're talking about an organization as large and underfunded as LAUSD, however, Jamie Oliver taking school board members to task will solve nothing. He's got to think bigger.
    I wish he would take cost into consideration as well. Show how they can improve the food for the least amount of money. Get the biggest bang for your buck. It is far easier to say change things when you don't consider the cost. Sad but true.

+ Reply to Thread