+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Wow, what a crummy time slot! I'll be catching this one on Hulu. Already too many good things on Tuesday night!

Jamie getting booted out of the LA Unified SD is big news down in SoCal. I hope they end up looking like idiots. Even the schools in WV let him in and they certainly had a lot to be embarrassed about when you saw what kinds of foods they were feeding the kids. It's never going to get better if you don't acknowledge the problem
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

i can't wait to see how the show protrays it all! i work for the la school board and helped jamie out when he came to speak before the board. he's a really nice guy and i thought their treatment of him was pretty crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Jamie getting booted out of the LA Unified SD is big news down in SoCal. I hope they end up looking like idiots. Even the schools in WV let him in and they certainly had a lot to be embarrassed about when you saw what kinds of foods they were feeding the kids. It's never going to get better if you don't acknowledge the problem

I'm wondering if the problem with LAUSD was not just a reaction and / or exacerbation of their prior dealing with the show, School Pride.
    They gave the producers full rein that time and School Pride, as it turned out, did a really awful job. The entire school had to be repainted which cost LAUSD $100's of thousands. IT was all over the LAT.
    Perhaps, that was why they rejected Jamie??
    Or, possibly they were unwilling to showcase our ridiculous mayor once again??!!
    That makes more sense to me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    It's back! According to the ads, next Tuesday, I think at 9, but check your listings.
    OK, now I think I saw it was on at 8--do check your local papers!

I did see ads featuring him being banned from the schools...this is unlikely to make the schools look good, even if they did it because they felt the show didn't mention the good efforts they'd made....

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I'm wondering if the problem with LAUSD was not just a reaction and / or exacerbation of their prior dealing with the show, School Pride.
    That's what I heard.

So, who isn't going to eat ground beef anymore? raises hand!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I've been having my meat ground in front of me for years if I feel the need for ground beef. I'm not a big fan of the texture of ground meat so I don't eat it a lot. Anyhow, I thought it was pretty common knowledge about the allowances of the more questionable parts going into ground beef. I stopped eating when I got some "heavy on the organ meat" as we say here.

Anything that is ground meat I question what's in it from chicken nuggets to beef etc.

I liked the show last season, but I didn't like this season's premiere.
    I missed a few minutes at the beginning. But, it's been the major news topic out here that LA was willing to meet with him, but not at all in favor of being filmed for the show.
    And, I'm sorry but, I have to agree. It was too over the top for me, even.
    I firmly believe in healthy eating, but Jamie needs to work within a budget that works for all. When they showed him at the independent burger stand, Deno was more than willing for him to offer help. What Jamie did was substitute a prime cut of beef, way more expensive for both the owner and the consumer. It was unrealistic. Even the customer agreed that Jamie's burger was butter, but he wouldn't pay the extra $2 for it.
    The ending, with the sugar dropped in the bus was just too over the top.
    Jamie, IMO, presented no real solution, just over the top, staged dramatics.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I liked the show last season, but I didn't like this season's premiere.
    I missed a few minutes at the beginning. But, it's been the major news topic out here that LA was willing to meet with him, but not at all in favor of being filmed for the show.
    And, I'm sorry but, I have to agree. It was too over the top for me, even.
    I firmly believe in healthy eating, but Jamie needs to work within a budget that works for all. When they showed him at the independent burger stand, Deno was more than willing for him to offer help. What Jamie did was substitute a prime cut of beef, way more expensive for both the owner and the consumer. It was unrealistic. Even the customer agreed that Jamie's burger was butter, but he wouldn't pay the extra $2 for it.
    The ending, with the sugar dropped in the bus was just too over the top.
    Jamie, IMO, presented no real solution, just over the top, staged dramatics.
    I have to agree with this. And that teh guy was right. He made a really impressive smoothie but not a milkshake. Even the healthy, organic "know where you food comes from" place here uses ice cream in their milk shakes.

I know that I pay more to have my meat ground for me but I'm not using the best cuts for that. I use cheaper cuts that are fine when ground up. I just prefer to watch it go through the grinder with no extra bits and pieces added. And I agreed the school lunches were not that great... but realistically they went over all the systemic issues from the guidelines on down last season.

I think he would win over a lot more people if he wasn't as confrontational or insulting. I agree with what he's saying. I totally get it but his presentation is not taht great (watching reruns of last season and then this first episode).

Now that I can afford it I do buy foods from local farmers and have always gardened. But he could present it a little better instead of being sooo judgmental.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Anyhow, I thought it was pretty common knowledge about the allowances of the more questionable parts going into ground beef.
    I gues I just figured that was the case for fast foos places, but not necessarily the ground beef at the market. I'll probably be having it ground in front of me from now on.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat View Post
    I gues I just figured that was the case for fast foos places, but not necessarily the ground beef at the market. I'll probably be having it ground in front of me from now on.
    You will honestly taste the difference and have a really hard time going back unless you were eating some spectacular ground beef from the market.

+ Reply to Thread