TV Chef Jamie Oliver Banned, ‘Revolution’ Filming Suspended
by Molly Willow
Feb 4th, 2011 | 12:50 PM | Comments 0
School children in Los Angeles will not be eating their vegetables on camera in the immediate future.
The Los Angeles Unified School District has suspended all filming of reality shows in schools in response to the ABC show “Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution,” which has been shooting in a district school for two weeks, the Los Angeles Times reported.
A person close to the production said that district superintendent Ramon Cortines would only approve a permit for Oliver’s show if he could guarantee a positive depiction, according to the LA Times.
“If you look at the last series he [Oliver] did in Huntington, W.Va., it was full of conflict and drama, and we’re not interested in that,” LAUSD spokesman Robert Alaniz said.
“Food Revolution” features the British chef championing healthful eating in public schools.
District officials were concerned that the program would not show the steps the school has already taken to improve nutrition.
Oliver was not available for comment, but he mentioned the issue in a speech at the UCLA School of Public Health on Wednesday night.
“Yesterday my filming permit was terminated because I can’t promise that the LAUSD doesn’t look good,” he said. “They fail to see me as a positive, and they fail to see the TV as an incredible way to spread the word, to inspire people, to inform parents, to see other teachers doing pioneering things.”
Oliver had been filming at the West Adams Preparatory High School in South L.A. A spokeswoman for the show said production would continue outside the school.