+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I still wish there were more episodes of this.

And on another note, that whole thing with the USDA and the schools perhaps being obligated to order a certain percentage of items from the government......I would love to see something written that explains the process. I know that all states may have different policies and all, I'm thinking about talking to the school nutritionist here where I live and see just what their rules are. Will report back with info if I can get any.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That would be really interesting to know! Thanks!

Nice article in the May10-16, 2010 issue of TV Guide about how Friday nights are becoming a wasteland for tv shows and how it is a self fulfilling prophecy because the networks tend to dump old shows or move promising new shows on or off that night. But Jaime's show was a surprising hit and it maybe coming back in the fall.

The reason the networks were giving about not putting shows on Friday night was that their prime demographic, young males between 18-24 are not home that night. Therefore their viewing audience is really down. Still what about all the folks that do stay home and watch TV. What about families with young kids. They want to watch something. I remember when I was a kid Friday night was family night. We had supper, had our big baths, and all of us would be in the family room watching the tv. That was the one night we were allowed junk food and we would have our potato chips and coca-cola and occasionally mom would bake us a bundt cake. Really fond memories.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I would love for the networks to air shows that are family friendly on Fridays. We usually go out for dinner, come home & give the kids their baths & then they can have movie night. Usually movie night is something that we rent for them or have recorded earlier in the week. But my daughter watched food revolution with me & was really interested in it, so even if it's a reality or scripted show, we'd watch.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3894357;
    Nice article in the May10-16, 2010 issue of TV Guide about how Friday nights are becoming a wasteland for tv shows and how it is a self fulfilling prophecy because the networks tend to dump old shows or move promising new shows on or off that night. But Jaime's show was a surprising hit and it maybe coming back in the fall.

The reason the networks were giving about not putting shows on Friday night was that their prime demographic, young males between 18-24 are not home that night. Therefore their viewing audience is really down. Still what about all the folks that do stay home and watch TV. What about families with young kids. They want to watch something. I remember when I was a kid Friday night was family night. We had supper, had our big baths, and all of us would be in the family room watching the tv. That was the one night we were allowed junk food and we would have our potato chips and coca-cola and occasionally mom would bake us a bundt cake. Really fond memories.
    Bearcata, I love that you have sweet memories of your childhood such as this

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

^Not only that, but when I grew up ABC had the whole TGIF block, which was (fairly) family-friendly sitcoms, designed to appeal to teens and so forth but without being TOO old. I think the one mistake that many networks have made is having the Friday nights be the wasteland, when in reality shows like this and other family-friendly ones could thrive.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3897540;
    Bearcata, I love that you have sweet memories of your childhood such as this
    Thanks much. The older I get the more precious the memories of family time get.

They were filming a second season this time in LA:

TV Chef Jamie Oliver Banned, 'Food Revolution' Filming Suspended | Fancast News

TV Chef Jamie Oliver Banned, ‘Revolution’ Filming Suspended
    by Molly Willow
    Feb 4th, 2011 | 12:50 PM | Comments 0

School children in Los Angeles will not be eating their vegetables on camera in the immediate future.

The Los Angeles Unified School District has suspended all filming of reality shows in schools in response to the ABC show “Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution,” which has been shooting in a district school for two weeks, the Los Angeles Times reported.

A person close to the production said that district superintendent Ramon Cortines would only approve a permit for Oliver’s show if he could guarantee a positive depiction, according to the LA Times.

“If you look at the last series he [Oliver] did in Huntington, W.Va., it was full of conflict and drama, and we’re not interested in that,” LAUSD spokesman Robert Alaniz said.

“Food Revolution” features the British chef championing healthful eating in public schools.

District officials were concerned that the program would not show the steps the school has already taken to improve nutrition.

Oliver was not available for comment, but he mentioned the issue in a speech at the UCLA School of Public Health on Wednesday night.

“Yesterday my filming permit was terminated because I can’t promise that the LAUSD doesn’t look good,” he said. “They fail to see me as a positive, and they fail to see the TV as an incredible way to spread the word, to inspire people, to inform parents, to see other teachers doing pioneering things.”

Oliver had been filming at the West Adams Preparatory High School in South L.A. A spokeswoman for the show said production would continue outside the school.

Bearcata,

You beat me to it!!
    Was just about to post.

What that article does not mention, and what I read last night in the Times, was another reason why they're trying to opt out of Jamie's show.
    LAUSD had been featured on School Pride, another reality show which sought to make over schools.
    Unfortunately, all the drama they showed on School Pride, as well as the awful paint job that caused LAUSD to have to spend $100,000 to repair said paint job, made LAUSD rethink appearing on any more of these shows. I can't say that I blame them....
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

It's back! According to the ads, next Tuesday, I think at 9, but check your listings.

+ Reply to Thread