+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hoarding: Buried Alive

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Hoarding: Buried Alive

Just about every week, I utter the phrase "I think this is the worst one yet" and the following week, I am proven wrong.

If this most recent episode didn't convince you this is a MENTAL ILLNESS, then nothing will. No one in their right mind - outside of the slums of places like Brazil and India - live with raw sewage running through their homes. Yes, running! The "fluid" from the septic tank was actually on the move through the downstairs.

I think the sister was right. Bulldozers!
    OceanView likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Just about every week, I utter the phrase "I think this is the worst one yet" and the following week, I am proven wrong.

If this most recent episode didn't convince you this is a MENTAL ILLNESS, then nothing will. No one in their right mind - outside of the slums of places like Brazil and India - live with raw sewage running through their homes. Yes, running! The "fluid" from the septic tank was actually on the move through the downstairs.

I think the sister was right. Bulldozers!
    The husband seemed to eventually realize all, especially after losing their cat and finding him dead behind furniture, but his wife I have to wonder about. Very out of touch with reality. She couldn't understand what all the fuss was about germ wise with the sewer running into her home. Wow. I feel sorry for the cat that was living there!

This last episode of Buried Alive was just so sad to me.
    I saw these two, who seemed like decent, loving people and yet were "broken" when it came to dealing with the mess they created.
    It seemed like they really really didn't understand the danger of having the broken septic tank. And they were heart broken to find their dead cat.
    Sad. I hope they find help.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I thought it was very telling when, after finding the mummified cat, the wife asked the husband "are you okay?" He quickly replied "no, I'm not okay!".

She - in my opinion - had already moved on and seemed to feel nothing but embarrassment from having been accused of neglect, while the husband truly felt bad about how the cat must have suffered and died alone.
    OceanView likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    The thing that cracks me up about the show is it's a great motivator for me to work on my place. 9 times out of 10 I'll end up grabbing a garbage bag and going through boxes in my bedroom or cleaning up in the living room while watching the show. My place is nowhere near as bad as the places on the show and I never want it to get that bad, either!
    If I happen to catch an episode, I do the same thing Pikachu! All of a sudden, I'm throwing out stuff and planning my next moves. If I were to watch many shows in a row, I'd probably only have furniture left!

While I am not a hoarder, I asked Dad why he doesn't help me get rid of the stuff that I can't throw out on regular garbage days and he jokes "because your place isn't that bad, yet" I do have a brother with a truck, so that helps, but he's not always available when I get on my purging urges. lol

Do these people have family? Close family? Or is it extended family members coming around to visit and finding this abyss of stuff?

My dad's nephew's wife died a couple of years ago, suddenly. She was only 40 and dropped dead of a heart attack. Her only family besides her husband was her mother. The nephew was useless because he turned to drugs. Once he got clean, he went to visit his mother in law and found her living in total squalor. She had no electricity for the entire winter (it's damn cold here) was using plastic pails as a toilet and the place was disgusting. The old woman doesn't speak English, her native tongue is Polish. We have a large Polish community, yet this woman had no friends, no nothing. Dad did his best and tried to get the place cleaned up and for some reason the cops were called at one point and now no one knows where this woman is. It's really sad to know that this poor woman has not only lost her daughter but her mind and is probably somewhere where people don't understand her. I would imagine she was brought to a psych unit for at least 72 hours but who knows where she is now.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Junkie Girl, that's a very sad story about your dad's nephew and his late wife.

So, Mr.ECM joined me in watching the episode where Jan, the former flight attendant had NOT ONE, BUT TWO homes filled to the brim with junk! The hubby had never seen this show and was appalled. He could not quite grasp that these folks have a mental illness of some sort. He kept wondering why they don't call some people who haul away trash to clear the space out. He even mentioned that the daughters should send their mom on a paid 2 week vacation and while she was gone hire some people to clear out the house. I explained that it wasn't as easy as that...these people have serious issues with letting even one single item go. The one thing he said, though, which made me laugh out loud is that they should combine this show with American Pickers...Mike Wolf and Frank Fritz would be up to their eyeballs in crap, I mean "good pickings."

A bonus to viewing this show together is that we got up bright and early on Sunday and made a dent in tidying up downstairs. After viewing a few more episodes we might be back on track with upstairs. And mercy, if we ever get around to the attic!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

ECM, I'm with your husband. Those people are probably about 50% likely to return to their hoarding ways, so why take all the time to let them "choose" what stuff is valuable to them? If they'd been able to make those choices, they would never have gotten into that situation. When someone wants to keep EMPTY BOXES because they're valuable (some of which are roach-infested), someone ELSE should make the decision to recycle them. I'd be interested in statistics that show whether there's any difference in recidivism among those who are involved in the cleanup as compared to those who aren't.

Jahn (the former flight attendant you mentioned) was on another episode (the one with the 16-year-old girl hoarder). It looked like she had brought all the stuff back in from the driveway to the house. Seeing the state Jahn lived in was really upsetting to the girl's mother, obviously.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I often wonder, too, AZChristian, about the recidivism rate. I am sorry, but not surprised, to hear that Jahn was on another episode where she brought back the driveway stuff into her home. I had a feeling that she was not ready and would not get anything done beyond the kitchen clean-up. Just the way she was interacting with the organizer was off the wall and made no sense. It's incomprehensible to me that she not only sullied up her own small home but the home where her daughters grew up. The look on her face when her daughters told her the family home would probably sell for only 50 k and was likely to be sold to be torn down was unbelievable. Did she really think she had a gold mine there? Just sad.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

A 30-something friend just sent me a note to let me know that she'd found out why a recent relationship (started online) has ended. The gentleman told her that he couldn't take her to his house, and his reason was, "it's complicated." Of course, to most of us, we assumed "wife and kids = complicated."

Turns out, the guy has confessed to being a hoarder. It started after his stint in the rigid discipline of the Marine Corps, but is probably exacerbated by the fact that his mother is a well-known author and his father is also very successful. Can you say, "feelings of inadequacy"? He admits that he likes to retreat to his "cave" of stuff and is not interested in throwing out trash or even minor clean-up projects.

Sad.

After a recent trip to the vatican, I saw first hand who the biggest hoarders in the world are. Billions of artifacts worth more billions of Euros than can be imagined. Millions of people around the world are starving while enough gold to buy the world is squirreled away in vatican city.
    OceanView likes this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

+ Reply to Thread