+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hoarding: Buried Alive

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Hoarding: Buried Alive

Bumping this thread since the new season has started. People have commented about this show in the Hoarders thread but that's a different network. This is the thread for the TLC show.
    OceanView likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Thanks for bumping it up Pikachu.

New episode tonight.

Last weeks epi with the Elvis impersonator was just outright sad. There was so much more going on in that mans head than the inability to part with unnecessary objects.
    OceanView likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Interesting episode last night.

While the quantity of the hoard was far and above anything I've seen - it was perhaps the least offensive hoard I've ever seen. No piles of garbage and no dead animals. Randy was lonely and depressed, but he was much higher functioning than "Elvis" from the week before to the point where, by comparison, he was almost normal. That being said . . . . I really did NOT need to see him bathe!!!!!
    OceanView likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

That Elvis impersonator's behavior didn't seem quite "real" to me. I've known someone who had many of the same interpersonal behaviors, and knew them to be quite manipulative. They could read those around them and push the buttons that would engender a hoped-for response. I've never seen someone who was "mentally disturbed" who verbalized things like, "I can't think straight," or "I can't focus." He was good at the manipulation, though . . . he even had the psychologist and the organizer feeling sorry for him. Me - not so much.
    jeaninelaurie and OceanView like this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Thanks for bumping it up Pikachu.

New episode tonight.

Last weeks epi with the Elvis impersonator was just outright sad. There was so much more going on in that mans head than the inability to part with unnecessary objects.
    True. I'm starting to feel guilty watching someone with mental illness. What next? A show where we sit and watch someone with diabetes going into a diabetic coma? I mean what's the difference?

Not sure what bothered me more about Laura's house . . . . . the 45 year old mattress or the chuck of solidified milk that had been sitting on the kitchen counter for 8 months.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    OceanView likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

And when she picked up the milk to look at it . . . WHY DIDN'T SHE TAKE IT OUTSIDE AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH??????

I "get" that people who love to collect things can go overboard and become hoarders. I have problems understanding how people can live in flith (she was a NURSE) and not realize that every bottle of sour milk or piece of inedible watermelon that goes outside is something they won't have to deal with ever again. I liked that her sons came in and kept repeating, "Mom, this is trash. It's all going out." I'm so cold-hearted that I feel that if people have a history of making bad decisions that are endangering their well-being, then the decision-making choices should be taken away from them. It makes ME crazy to see the therapist asking them whether they want to keep every bit of crap they've been hanging onto for years. I'm cold. So cold.

As shocked as the mattress guy was at the hole in the mattress, imagine what his reaction would have been if he'd seen the house before.

One of the things that gets me is when the hoarder complains that they can't see everything that's being thrown away . . . . . well, guess what . . . . . when you laid it down on the floor six years ago and proceeded to cover it up with another 3 feet of stuff, you couldn't see it THEN either!

I don't THINK I am a hoarder, but I do save lots of things that are too valuable to put in the trash. I do it with the intent of selling them in the future. But I've noticed I never seem to actually get around to selling. My house is cluttered, and I wish I had a better filing system. I have tons of financial accounts and bills, which results in a huge amount of daily mail and the continual stacking of envelopes until I can get free time to sort through them. And when I do, it's only a couple days before a new stack gets formed. Between mail and laundry, I feel like the house is always a mess, but there's never time to clean because of all my job obligations. Once in a while I get it looking great, but it's a cycle. Messy, then clean, then messy, then clean. It sure would be great to have a full-time organizer in my employ!

I have only seen this show once, it was when a single man was hoarding and when the female organizer came to help him, she had to climb up on the wall-to-wall hoard just to get through the house. How things get THAT FAR GONE, I dunno, but I thought the show was a great warning for me! When does it air?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Hoarding was on last night, fireflyer. There was a repeat episode on at 8:00 pm , followed by a new episode at 9:00 pm. The time might vary in your area. I'm on Eastern time.

The thing that cracks me up about the show is it's a great motivator for me to work on my place. 9 times out of 10 I'll end up grabbing a garbage bag and going through boxes in my bedroom or cleaning up in the living room while watching the show. My place is nowhere near as bad as the places on the show and I never want it to get that bad, either!

Last night I got a garbage bag during the second commercial and started looking through boxes in my closet to see if I could get rid of anything. I found two bags of Temptations treats for my cat. It's a miracle he hadn't discovered them yet and helped himself. I got them for Christmas from a friend who included them with the gift she gave me because she knew I had a cat.

Today is garbage day so the stuff I picked up last night is at the curb now and should be gone when I go home for lunch.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

+ Reply to Thread