+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hoarding: Buried Alive

FORT Newbie

Re: Hoarding: Buried Alive

It was really hard to watch and I think I am going to try not to watch any more of these shows. These people are mentally ill and I am ambivalent about people making money by exposing their illness.

This woman was so ill she was unable to hear the organizational expert explain about how to clean out her hoard. She basically moved everything into her driveway. It won't be long before the city takes her home and leaves her homeless. I don't know how that helps anyone.
    Last edited by lcmamom; 03-04-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling

While I respect any one's desire not to watch, this show facinates me because, though I'm in no way a hoarder, I do have packrat tendencies. I have asked myself how did these hoarders start? Were they packrats who went out of control because of an emotional trauma? Many of the people on the show seemed perfectly normal at one point in their lives.
    On other reality shows we have seen humanity at it's worst. We have seen addiction and other forms of mental illness. While we can argue that the person being shown may be too ill to make a rational decision to agree to let their story be filmed (and I don't know this to be true or false,) I'm guessing there are many who have gotten access to medical care and other help that they would not otherwise be able to afford without going on the show. There is also, that possibility that someone out there who is battling the same illness (but less severe) might be able to work on overcoming by watching the advice given on the show
    On many episodes, the end result has been shown to be a person getting his/her life back in order. They seem much happier than at the beginning of the show. I hope the lessons learned take hold permanently. Wednesday's stands out in my mind because the "help" didn't work. I'm hoping that she didn't end up losing her house but, perhaps she was in the end given the treatment that she needed. She was obviously a very sick woman and I had to feel for her daughters. If the show hadn't intervened and tried to help, would she be better off? Without a working bathroom and having to dress outside?

I watch both Hoarders and Hoarding: Buried Alive. I've tried to rationalize to myself why I watch, and actually look forward to watching them but I've given up on that too. I can't figure out why I like them.

I have no pack-rat tendencies, nor do I know any pack-rats. I'm just completely fascinated by all of it....although sometimes repulsed by what I see these poor people living with but they've got a die-hard fan in me. My heart just aches when we finally uncover the tragic incident(s) that trigger the begining of this pattern. Makes me realize how devasting grief and unhappiness can be.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    On many episodes, the end result has been shown to be a person getting his/her life back in order. They seem much happier than at the beginning of the show. I hope the lessons learned take hold permanently. Wednesday's stands out in my mind because the "help" didn't work. I'm hoping that she didn't end up losing her house but, perhaps she was in the end given the treatment that she needed. She was obviously a very sick woman and I had to feel for her daughters. If the show hadn't intervened and tried to help, would she be better off? Without a working bathroom and having to dress outside?
    That was unbelievable... dressing outside? No working bathrooms? She is such and acctractive woman whom one would never think lives like that.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I truly think the odds are against these people making a permanent change. I would love to believe that with continued therapy, that they would but their problems seem to be profoundly deep.
    I also watch Confessions: Animal Hoarding and see how deeply they are affected by traumatic events. It just breaks my heart at times but makes me grateful that I've been capable of handling devasting events in life and not have these problems.
    Maybe I watch these shows because the underlying theme to me is "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Episode from March 9th

So . . . . . Sharon is the hoarder. Fran is the friend who just finds out that Sharon is a hoarder. Then she finds out that Sharon is also a kleptomaniac.

Wonder if they are still "friends" ?????
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Episode from March 9th

So . . . . . Sharon is the hoarder. Fran is the friend who just finds out that Sharon is a hoarder. Then she finds out that Sharon is also a kleptomaniac.

Oh my!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Episode from March 9th

Fran was MAD! (Though I thought most, if not all the stuff Sharon had were things Fran had thrown out.)
    I have to say that the majority of the hoarders on this show I feel compassion for. Sharon just plain annoyed the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I watch both Hoarders and Hoarding: Buried Alive. I've tried to rationalize to myself why I watch, and actually look forward to watching them but I've given up on that too. I can't figure out why I like them.

I have no pack-rat tendencies, nor do I know any pack-rats. I'm just completely fascinated by all of it....although sometimes repulsed by what I see these poor people living with but they've got a die-hard fan in me. My heart just aches when we finally uncover the tragic incident(s) that trigger the begining of this pattern. Makes me realize how devasting grief and unhappiness can be.
    I just wanted to say that you may be aquainted with pack-rats and not know it. If you came to my tidy home, you would have no way of knowing that I have a box under my bed with old copies of "Southern Living" magazine. Or that my sewing room has a cabinet crammed with old fabric I may never use. I work hard not to let my desire to keep things get out of bounds the way it has with these poor people.
    That's one reason I find this show so interesting. At what point do you stop caring and begin doing things like not taking out your trash? It must be an illness because these people often give up so much as a result of their compulsion.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    Fran was MAD! (Though I thought most, if not all the stuff Sharon had were things Fran had thrown out.)
    I have to say that the majority of the hoarders on this show I feel compassion for. Sharon just plain annoyed the crap out of me.
    Would definitely have to agree. It was easy to see why her sons were so angry/disappointed. When they came back to visit, they were surprised to see how nice the house looked and they gushed about what a good job she'd done. I turned to my daughter and said "I am afraid these boys are in for a let-down". Sure enough, there was all the stuff piled on the deck and throughout the backyard.

Another thing that struck me as ODD . . . in a "staged" kind of way . . . why did Sharon not keep her front door locked? Friend Fran just walked right in - without even knocking!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread