+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hoarding: Buried Alive

FORT Fanatic

Re: Hoarding: Buried Alive

I wonder if the mother and son in NYC have a rent-controlled apartment? That is huge, from what I've read about digs in NYC. I thought if you rented, the landlord would come in once a year or so and inspect. They must not in this case - otherwise, surely the landlord would have threatened them with eviction because of the extreme disorder. Talk about a fire hazard!

This series is light years away from the other one where supposedly it 'has' to be done in two pressure-filled days - maybe because they have a fleet of I-Got-Junk-trucks gunning their engines outside the house to haul away the debris.

I agree the people on the new series probably have a better chance of actually controlling their fears - and their junk - by taking it more sorely. But the shows are all about the ratings.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The two people featured in last night's episode surely seemed to be success stories . . . . but I'm wondering if the woman is still in debt and what the name did with the truck that was in his garage. I know some gear heads who would have been drooling over that!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fanatic

This Sunday they will do an update show - that should be good.

The woman had such a long way to go. It was a huge process to clear out the living room of the apartment. She still had the full house that she moved out of and only uses for storage, plus 6 large storage bays full of stuff.

I can't imagine the bills - rent, mortgage, 2 sets of utilities, rent for 6 storage units, plus all the shopping debt. I don't know if I misunderstood, but it sounded like she spent $29,000 on jewelry on ebay? Holy cow.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

I must admit that this show has affected me. I'm not by any means a hoarder, but I do like my stuff. You wouldn't know it because it isn't visibly piled up, but I often find myself holding on to things past their usefullness.
    After last week's show, I cleaned out one closet. After the one last night, I cleaned out another! The good point made is not to let yourself be a slave to belongings.
    I wonder if any of the people on this show started out slowly with just "too much stuff" till it got out of hand?

New episode tonight.

TVGuide's synopsis: Two women seek help for their compulsive hoarding problems.

I'm new to this show, so maybe this is not the case, but it looks like they just throw everything out in big Hefty bags. That one woman in tonight's episode got rid of a magazine and they just tossed it in a garbage bag. Do they not recycle?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's a question most of us have asked Critical.

They do mention "donate" every now and again, but recycling isn't something you hear very often. It's sad, given the amount of paper most of the hoarders have in their houses.

The grandma in the most recent episode seems to really truly want to change. Those precious grandbabies of hers will be her salvation. She hasn't had a great life from the looks of things. Makes me wonder what her own child (the mother of the kids) is like. Drop the kids off at Grandma the Hoarders house . . . what could possibly go wrong?!?!?!

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3874941;
    I'm new to this show, so maybe this is not the case, but it looks like they just throw everything out in big Hefty bags. That one woman in tonight's episode got rid of a magazine and they just tossed it in a garbage bag. Do they not recycle?
    I know on one episode they discussed recycling. The guy was OCD as well as a hoarder and he had to go through rituals before he could allow anything to be recycled. In that case I would be tempted to say, "let's get rid of this mountain and start fresh."
    I have to say that I'm impressed by the compassion and understanding the helpers show. I would be tempted to run out screaming instead of carefully asking if it was okay for me to touch their things.

FORT Fanatic

If anyone ever comes to this board again, I just read an excellent new book called "Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things" by Randy O. Frost and Gail Strekette, which explains how some hoarders think about their hoarding.

They cited the case of one woman who suffered from a very rigid sense of responsibility and severe perfectionism. She couldn't tolerate mistakes and almost always chose inactivity over the possibility of doing somethng less than perfectly.

They also found that sometimes taking photos of the mess and then showing them to the person had a startling effect. Sometimes the subject didn't even recognize it as THEIR mess. They were so used to living in a mess that they didn't 'see' it the way others did.

If you want tips on organizing, this book won't help, but I found it very insightful in explaining how hoarders think.

+ Reply to Thread