+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hoarding: Buried Alive

Re: Hoarding: Buried Alive

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3861879;
    I can't honestly imagine anyone living this way. Sheesh I donate clothes that I no longer wear between seasons twice a year. If I didn't wear it this past winter it is gone & when I go through my summer clothes if I feel like I can be fairly certain I won't wear that piece of clothes this summer I will donate it too. I just don't like clutter.

Right now at work I am in the middle of purging older catalogues. Maybe I am ultra organized but I like being able to find what exact paper I needat any given moment.

Was this the show, or was it the other channle show, that this couple were overrun with cats? I have 3 cats, ok really only 2 since one cat is my sons, because I can only afford to keep & maintain 3 cats. I could not even imagine the smell of cat pee, poop & dead cats.
    My closet is a work in progress. I'm clearing out a lot of clothes for donation as well. I have a basement, it could be neater, but I don't live in it. ITs storage, thats why I insisted on a basement.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The dead cats episode was on A&E.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3862050;
    My closet is a work in progress. I'm clearing out a lot of clothes for donation as well. I have a basement, it could be neater, but I don't live in it. ITs storage, thats why I insisted on a basement.
    We all have our "storage" spaces. This is coming from the woman who has 85 pairs of shoes

My Mom has a basement & a walk-in closet that is a nitemare. While her home is neat & clean & she takes garbage out daily, her storage areas...sigh... think about 65 years worth of things. She cleans out these areas out every year only to neatly stack everything right back where they were. It is going to be left to me to eventually go through all of this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Wish I could have "insisted" on a basement. The water table in my area is such that it makes it all but impossible. Anything is possible if you have the $$$$$.

I have been SPRING CLEANING and am pleased with the progress I'm making. I do have my fabric stash and I would whittle away at that if I had the time to sew. So many projects . . . so little time.

My closets are all good. I'm short and finding pants that fit just right is a major challenge. Generally speaking, I buy the basics (jeans, khaki, black, navy blue) and wear them until they are about to fall apart.

I cringe when I think of the stuff that's headed for the landfill from these houses. Not everything can be used by someone else, but I'm willing to bet there is a percentage I'd be uncomfortable with headed in that direction.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3862929;
    I cringe when I think of the stuff that's headed for the landfill from these houses. Not everything can be used by someone else, but I'm willing to bet there is a percentage I'd be uncomfortable with headed in that direction.
    I get sick to my stomach when I see all the stuff that just goes in that Got junk trunk. Sure alot of it's trash, but alot of stuff could be used by someone else.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3863174;
    I get sick to my stomach when I see all the stuff that just goes in that Got junk trunk. Sure alot of it's trash, but alot of stuff could be used by someone else.
    EXACTLY!

Thrift stores are common-place in most areas. They don't need the "junk", but I'm sure they would appreciate the usable stuff.

I always assumed that they were donating the stuff to a Goodwill kind of operation, not just carting it straight to the dump, unless it was really garbage. I thought they sorted through everything to determine what to do with it!

I was horrified when reading a board for Value Village/Safers employees when someone said they'd opened a garbage bags full of clothes covered in maggots. The supervisor said "just shake them off and hang them up on hangers". Ugh Ugh Ugh Ugh
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

The "D" word . . . heard it many times last night.

DONATE!

For the first time, I think they finally featured people who were really not that far off the beaten path of sanity.

Although the swarming flies and piles of cat poop turned my stomach, I was pleased that no dead kitties were found in Mary's house. Hope her family has found that alternative to their shopping excursions like they talked about.

I've always wondered what it would be like to live in NYC and was positively drooling over what could have been done with that HUGE apartment shared by mother and son.

So True, LittleSew&Sew! I watched it right after "Selling New York" and that's all I could think of! Now that it's cleared out, maybe they can put some new flooring down. :-)

I really like that they take things more slowly on this show. The mother/son said they worked for 3 weeks to clear the apartment. On the other Hoarder show, they would have only had a day or 2. It seems like the change has a better chance of sticking if they take it a little slower.

+ Reply to Thread