+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I'm disappointed that not all of the people who are featured on the show reveal their ancestral DNA. Anderson Cooper didn't reveal his DNA on the show, but I've read that he's R1a. The Italian-American chef also chose not to reveal his DNA.
    Bachelorwatcher, I'm curious. Please explain why people would need to reveal their DNA to the public -- except, of course, in an individual case where there was a specific need to prove or disprove a genetic connection to an alleged ancestor. In Anderson Cooper's case, for example, why does it matter that he didn't reveal his DNA? It's a well known, undisputable fact and public knowledge that his mother is Gloria Vanderbilt, so there's no need to reveal DNA about that. And what would be the need to check or reveal DNA about his father, Wyatt Cooper?

And you mentioned that you read Anderson is "R1a." What does R1a mean? And in this case, how does the R1a fit in?
    Punkin likes this.

Why does it have to mean that the participants refused to allow their DNA results to be revealed? Just because we didn't see something doesn't mean there's anything suspicious. It's a 50 minute show. There's not time for everything.

Would Anderson Cooper's DNA results really be that surprising? Based on the fact that they didn't take the time to show them probably tells us that the results are exactly what one would expect. It's like Stephen Colbert on Skip Gates' Faces of America where his results came back 100% "white."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Bachelorwatcher, I'm curious. Please explain why people would need to reveal their DNA to the public -- except, of course, in an individual case where there was a specific need to prove or disprove a genetic connection to an alleged ancestor. In Anderson Cooper's case, for example, why does it matter that he didn't reveal his DNA? It's a well known, undisputable fact and public knowledge that his mother is Gloria Vanderbilt, so there's no need to reveal DNA about that. And what would be the need to check or reveal DNA about his father, Wyatt Cooper?

And you mentioned that you read Anderson is "R1a." What does R1a mean? And in this case, how does the R1a fit in?
    They briefly showed the Chinese-American chef's DNA as being 89% Chinese. (It was on my TV screen for less than a second). The Hispanic-American chef was curious about his deep ancestry, and they revealed that he's about 25% Native. Billie Jean King was told that she's 100% European.

When this type of show was on the network, they revealed everything. On this PBS show, they pick and choose what they will reveal. I'm curious about what they leave out on this show.

Yeah, but we want to know what "R1a" means.
    prhoshay and Critical like this.
    Lynda

I just Googled "R1a" and it's one of the many subdivisions of DNA. Apparently DNA is subdivided into many groups, each showing the origin of the people within those groups, and their migration patterns. Here's some info on R1a: Haplogroup R1a (Y-DNA) - Eupedia It's actually kind of fascinating, and there's a lot of information about it all on line.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that. So, am I correct in understanding that the results don't break things down by maternal and paternal - it's just all together? I wonder, if that is the case, if it would be better to have my parents each take a test.
    Yes, paternal and maternal data are combined for the lineage percentages. But once you have the digital file of your DNA (downloaded) you may choose to submit it to other agencies (for fees) to obtain far more specific information. Ancestry keeps that info private - and it is used only for genealogy purposes.

My take on the current issue is that once you have submitted your DNA elsewhere it may be considered 'public' -- or can/will be in this day of internet hacking.

Prior discussion of DNA analysis - great info from PWS

Genealogical Research

I cried throughout most of last week's episode. Seeing the photos and videos of the Nazi's barbaric murder of the millions and millions of Jewish people --- thousands of corpses naked, lying broken in a mass grave, people who were skin and bones like skeletons, from unimaginable tortures --- it totally broke my heart. And then, to find out that OUR GOVERNMENT set up immigration quotas to stop those poor souls who somehow managed to get away from Hitler, and come to America --- but they were refused entry into the United States, and those poor people were sent back to Germany, where most of them ended up in concentration camps and were put to death. OMG!!!! OMG!!!
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

While Dr. Gates worked with Jessica Alba and the MA Governor Patrick last night, he spent some time with the DNA results---including his own. We learned more about it and he went back to previous visitors to his show--like Anderson Cooper-- and showed their results. We can assume that everybody had it done but due to editing, more interesting aspects of their stories were shown in each person's original segment.

I took the plunge and ordered 2 of the Ancestry DNA kits; one for my mom and another for my dad. At least that way, we'll know which side of the family the information applies to. We're having a big 80th birthday party for my dad in the spring, so I'm hoping to be able to share the results with various family members then.

I don't know that there will be any big surprises like there have been on this show, but I'd still like to see scientific confirmation that the research I've done is correct. I'm pretty sure we're ALL white (alas), but I've love to be wrong about that!
    GabbyG likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread