+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Jax

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Whatever. The average US citizen is more than likely going to find a slave in their family history. I have done genealogy research for many, many families. And yes, they were all just shocked to learn that their ancestor had a slave.

I would love to sit across a professional and have them push my way a "book of your life"....that would so awesome to receive.

I love all the genealogy shows they intrigue me so much I always wonder what secrets or surprises I would find in my family tree if any....
    Punkin likes this.

Jax

I think if you don't already know your family tree, it is all so surprising. I found things that still leave me just floored and I didn't come from any kind of rich or well to do lines.
    AmyKay likes this.

On this thread and the one for "Who Do You Think You Are," I have noticed a common fear about ancestors. In fact, on WDYTYA, it was epitomized by Kelly Clarkson who was so concerned lest her ancestor she was researching didn't have the same political views as she - all the way down to her concern about his support of the temperence movement. While these shows about family history are some of my favorites, the premise of these shows is a little faulty - if one is to believe that who your ancestors are defines who you are. I am who I am because of the choices I make.

As one who has a great deal of Southern ancestry, I have those who owned slaves and who fought for the Confederacy. I even have one ancestors who was a regular Simon Legree. On the other hand, on my father's side, have ancestors who were Quakers. While I regret the choices that some made, I don't "hate" either side (except, perhaps the "Simon Legree" dude) and realize that most of them were a product of their times and environment.

Jesse Tyler Fergusen was on "Who Do You Think You Are" and found out that his g-grandfather was, at best, a bit of a scoundrel, and at worst, a murderer. That doesn't take away from who JTF is and what he has accomplished. It didn't make me like him any less.

The stories are interesting and I enjoy hearing how some of those subjects helped shape history. However, I am not mortified to have ancestors who made choices that are repugnant to me. Nor do I feel entitled or "grand" after finding out that I have royal ancestors (As probably most of us do if you go far enough back.) Or knowing that an early ancestor fought in the Revolutionary War. If anything, it causes me to wonder what choices I would've made if I lived in those times.

Hopefully, we can all enjoy these shows personalizing history and no one judges me now by the choices my ggg-grandparents made!
    Punkin, AmyKay, ibot2much and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ... I'm looking into Ancestry DNA too. It's changed since the last time I did my research. You used to have to buy two kits - one for maternal DNA and another for paternal DNA and ONLY a man could do the latter. I'd love to hear someone else's experiences with it. Do you learn which ancestry/background comes from which side of your tree (mother or father) or is it just "Here's a list of where your DNA comes from"? ...
    Late response here - I've been away.

I have done the DNA on Ancestry. If you'd like to see "screen caps" of what get, PM me with an email addy. In general, you get a map with circled areas of concentration and list of ethnic origins with percentages for each. Then you get hundreds (and I do mean into thousands) of potential matches with other people. They are "graded' by close relative, 3 to 6th cousins, and beyond. They are also graded by level of confidence. You can also sort them into favorites, see who has mutual hints at ancestors, or even delete the "low confidence" or way distant possibilities. If you're stuck in your ancestry research it can be a big help. The Ancestry site may have a DNA 'sale' around Christmas time - something to consider.

Hope this helps.
    GabbyG likes this.

I started watching these OnDemand, tho for some reason Comcast doesn't have the athlete one, it skips it. I'm loving this.

I saw CNN was also doing a show called Roots, Anderson Cooper being one of the topics. I'm not sure if its just a retooling of what was on this show or not. I may see if those are OnDemand next.

I feel like knowing my history helps me know where I come from, have a stronger root. I'm not looking for famous people, or if people had slaves or not but interesting stories.

I have gotten back pretty far in my trees, and I have mostly just gotten names and don't know stories yet. I'm excited to start researching the names.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by KTinCT View Post
    Late response here - I've been away.

I have done the DNA on Ancestry. If you'd like to see "screen caps" of what get, PM me with an email addy. In general, you get a map with circled areas of concentration and list of ethnic origins with percentages for each. Then you get hundreds (and I do mean into thousands) of potential matches with other people. They are "graded' by close relative, 3 to 6th cousins, and beyond. They are also graded by level of confidence. You can also sort them into favorites, see who has mutual hints at ancestors, or even delete the "low confidence" or way distant possibilities. If you're stuck in your ancestry research it can be a big help. The Ancestry site may have a DNA 'sale' around Christmas time - something to consider.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that. So, am I correct in understanding that the results don't break things down by maternal and paternal - it's just all together? I wonder, if that is the case, if it would be better to have my parents each take a test.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm disappointed that not all of the people who are featured on the show reveal their ancestral DNA. Anderson Cooper didn't reveal his DNA on the show, but I've read that he's R1a. The Italian-American chef also chose not to reveal his DNA.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think anything is sadder than hearing about the slave history. The looks and gradual awareness that you see in their family members eyes as the fact really settles in that their family members were, usually, treated as property and not human beings is bothersome; talk about man's inhumanity to man....Wow! They were considered as "things"; how painful; how low. Still in all, it is factual which makes all the more tragic.

The census records showing no names, just the ages and sexes and to whom they belonged and to whom they were born; maybe how much cotton/product they picked....just like the value of a work animal. Just think of your family being looked at like that.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-29-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    Punkin, AmyKay and Moontat like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree, that has to be really hard to hear about.

I loved that Nas said he was thinking about buying that land.

Angela Bassett's fathers family is from my area...the Ingrams more than the Bassetts. I wondered while I was watching, there is a Bassett furniture that has been in the area for years, could be the slave owners started that?

Parts of my family are from the same area...tho Im not connected as far as I can tell yet. Most of the farm owners in my family didnt have slaves, their farms were very small anyway.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

+ Reply to Thread