+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: Faces of America (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't know how distant their connection. I guess we'll find out! I like both Kyra and Kevin, so I'm looking forward to their episode. It's probably not that unusual. My genealogical research revealed that my parents are cousins - VERY distant cousins, but still. Our joke is that we're the good kind of inbred - through the British royal family!

I missed Sunday night's episode, so I watched it on the PBS site. I like how they're pairing the subjects each week. This time, it was about dealing with name changes. I liked how Barbara Walters initially said "no" when they asked her to participate in the show because she'd had a genealogist research her family tree and didn't think they could tell her anything new. After watching, I think she should get her money back from that genealogist!
    LOL, that's cute. Really? The British royal family? Impressive.

Can't you see the headlines now though? It will probably be brought up in all future articles about them. That sucks.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates - PBS

I found this second season of a show I hadn't seen before last week and loved it. It is very much like Who Do You Think You Are?, but I think it's better. It's on again tonight at 8:00pm on PBS. Tonight the stories of the family histories of Billie Jean King, Derek Jeter, and Rebecca Lobo are featured. If you are a fan of Who ...... I think you'll really like this one.

Re: Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates - PBS

I watched it last year and really enjoyed it. Makes me want to do the DNA test on Ancestry.com.

I wish Season 1 was on my OnDemand, but it's not. Don't you love Gates!

We discussed season 1 here: http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...y-shows-2.html

Not sure we need two threads. I can merge and rename the thread, which was originally for Gates' Faces of America.
    GabbyG likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I used the search feature under the exact name of the show and nothing came up. You can move or merge it. No prob.

Sometimes the search feature here isn't the best. I'll merge the threads and rename it. The other thread didn't get that many posts.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Critical Thank you so much for finding this thread or merging it. I looked for the Finding your Roots Thread today and couldn't find one. I really enjoy Louis Gates and his method of searching.

I watched the season premiere featuring Stephen King, Gloria Reuben and Courtney Vance. Each story was so good.
    Gloria Reuben was able to track her roots all the way back to a grandmother from Africa...just fascinating.
    Punkin likes this.

You're welcome! I really wouldn't have found the thread if I hadn't known what I was looking for. I think it was MANY pages back in this forum.

I enjoyed the first episode, but I wish they'd done the DNA test with Gloria Ruben that showed where her African ancestry was. Maybe they did and I missed that part. I remember them saying something about how a great percentage of her ancestry was European. In African American Lives, they did a DNA test on the participants and many got information on the specific region of Africa where their ancestry could be traced. IIRC, Chris Tucker actually went to the specific village in Cameroon (?).....and some of the people he met looked a lot like him! It was really cool.

I'm looking into Ancestry DNA too. It's changed since the last time I did my research. You used to have to buy two kits - one for maternal DNA and another for paternal DNA and ONLY a man could do the latter. I'd love to hear someone else's experiences with it. Do you learn which ancestry/background comes from which side of your tree (mother or father) or is it just "Here's a list of where your DNA comes from"?

Nice timing of the episode with Derek Jeter. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. Considering Anderson Cooper's family, I'll bet his tree is going to be really interesting.

My coworker bought one of the DNA tests from national geographic at one point and I don't think he got the results of that back before he retired. That only did the maternal side though it looks like they updated their kit in some way. It's like twice as much as ancenstry's though.

Every so often I toss around getting one of these but the only line that we really don't have a lot of info on is my dad's side of the family and that's really all I'd like to see. I just don't want to get all tied up with the ancestry website in the process of buying a dna kit.

I tried to watch last night's episode but our PBS was cutting out like crazy here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast