+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Re: Faces of America (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Did anyone else watch Who Do You Think You Are? last night? I'm not really clear on how Lous (was it?) XIV and Brooke Shields could be first cousins. Is that a first cousins 20 times removed situation?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Geneology.com...

Cousin (a.k.a "first cousin")

Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.

Second Cousin

Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents.

Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins

Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed

When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.

The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.
    Ergo, Brooke's relationship to Louis XIV is that her DIRECT ancestor was a first cousin to him--her ancestor and Louis shared a grandparent, and had parents who were siblings. Making Brooke a First cousin also, removed by however many generations its been.

Or another way to look at it is that King Henry IV was a common grandparent to both Brooke's branch of the family and Louis' branch.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Thanks for that, Krom. I had a feeling it was a "removed" situation. I just wish that genealogist/historian had made the distinction.

I felt sad for Brooke that she seems kind of alone. No connection to either side of the family and it didn't sound like she has living family she's close to. Every other celeb has shared what they learned with family members, so I was sad for Brooke that she was only talking about her little girls. I know I have a ton of people - parents, brother, cousins, etc. - I'd be running back to tell.

I wonder if any of the celebs involved in this show continued researching their family trees after the show was over. They certainly could afford to pay a professional to do the work if they were too busy. Some of them didn't "dig" too far back and it seemed like they could have gone a lot further. I don't think I'd be able to stop looking after this show!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

For anyone who enjoyed Skip Gates's other shows, he's got another one premiering on PBS on April 19th. The new four-part series is called Black in Latin America.

There's a really good interview with him in this week's Newsweek:

Henry Louis Gates Jr. on Race, New PBS Series - Newsweek

I'm bumping this because HLG's new show on PBS, Finding Your Roots starts tonight on PBS. I LOVED Faces of America and African American Lives, so I'm really looking forward to this one!

Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

The basic drive to discover who we are and where we come from is at the core of the new 10-part PBS series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the 12th series from Professor Gates, the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University and director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. Filmed on location across the United States, the series premieres nationally Sundays, March 25 – May 20 at 8 pm ET on PBS (check local listings).

Continuing on the quest begun in his previous projects, African American Lives (2006), African American Lives 2 (2008) and Faces of America (2010), Gates finds new ways to, as he says, “get into the DNA of American culture.” In each hour-long episode, he takes viewers along for the journey with one celebrity pair bound together by an intimate, sometimes hidden link, treks through layers of ancestral history, uncovers secrets and surprises of their family trees and shares life-altering discoveries.

Working closely with leading U.S. genealogists (including staff of the New England Genealogical Historical Society and Johni Cerny, co-author of the acclaimed The Source: Guidebook for American Genealogy) and ancestry experts from around the world, Gates and his production team comb through family stories to discover unknown histories and relatives the guests never knew existed. When paper trails end for each story, the team turns to top geneticists and DNA diagnosticians (such as the genetic testing service 23 & Me, African Ancestry and Family Tree DNA) to analyze each participant’s genetic code, tracing their bloodlines and occasionally debunking their long-held notions and beliefs.
    About Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
    There are SO many celebs/public figures involved in this show! Just a few are Kyra Sedgwick, Kevin Bacon, Sanja Gupta, Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Condoleezza Rice, John Legend, Wanda Sykes and a bunch of others.

There's an extended preview up on the PBS site: Videos | Finding Your Roots | PBS

Did anyone else watch Finding Your Roots tonight?

I REALLY enjoyed both episodes, probably more than Who Do You Think You Are?. No, we didn't see much of the actual process or genealogical research, but one could argue we don't actually see much of it on WDYTYA either!

I liked the inclusion of the DNA research and how they used it in several different ways. Branford Marsalis and the guys at the barber shop used it to learn about their ethnic make-up. Then they used it to verify that Cory Booker and that other man were, in fact, cousins, which meant that they got confirmation of CB's ancestor. I also identified with Harry Connick Jr. when he learned about his ancestor having fought for the South in the Civil War. I've had the same feelings when doing research, although I've worried more about finding slave owners.

PBS is usually pretty good about uploading episodes to their website, so I'm sure the episodes will be available there within the next few days if anyone missed it and wants to watch

I really enjoyed the show last night, more then Who Do You think YOu are....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I just checked the PBS site and both episodes that aired last night are available: Videos | Finding Your Roots | PBS

Although I enjoy WDYTYA, I like that this show does away with the pretense that the participants do any of the actual research themselves. I enjoy just watching them react to information on this show and I also think the graphics and production values are better on the PBS show. The fact that they don't the celebs going to various libraries and such allows them to actually present more information about the family trees.

I especially enjoyed the "pairing" aspect of the show and seeing the two pairs interact. I found is especially moving to see Cory Booker and John Lewis together.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I'm surprised that this has come out about this couple:

Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick: Distant Cousins

I like them and hope that the ignorant don't come out in full force.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I don't know how distant their connection. I guess we'll find out! I like both Kyra and Kevin, so I'm looking forward to their episode. It's probably not that unusual. My genealogical research revealed that my parents are cousins - VERY distant cousins, but still. Our joke is that we're the good kind of inbred - through the British royal family!

I missed Sunday night's episode, so I watched it on the PBS site. I like how they're pairing the subjects each week. This time, it was about dealing with name changes. I liked how Barbara Walters initially said "no" when they asked her to participate in the show because she'd had a genealogist research her family tree and didn't think they could tell her anything new. After watching, I think she should get her money back from that genealogist!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast