+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

I've been watching Season 1 on Amazon, and tonight I watched the John Lewis and Cory Booker episode. It was so touching to see John Lewis's reaction to learning that his great, great grandfather had registered to vote in 1867--100 years before Lewis and Martin Luther King and others were working so hard to reclaim voting rights for African Americans in the United States.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I understand that once it has aired it's not really spoiling, but I know a few people don't watch in real time and can't help but check the thread even if they haven't seen it (as I am oft to do), I was trying to be polite
    I too at first wondered why there were only 2 celebs, but I'm glad...they got to go a little bit deeper.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

I'm catching up on past epis. Man, Puff Daddy doesn't have much charisma. Not what I expected.
    dreamonia likes this.

I cry at these episodes. I loved the Hoffman/Farrow episode.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia View Post
    I cry at these episodes. I loved the Hoffman/Farrow episode.
    Me, too! It was cool to see Dustin reconnect with his Jewishness!
    dreamonia likes this.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I'm in withdrawal! i can't wait till next season. i guess it's a good thing that WDYTYA is starting up.
    Punkin and dreamonia like this.

FORT Fogey

I caught two episodes of something called Follow Your Past on the Travel Channel this morning. According to the TV listings, both episodes were new, so perhaps the show is too. Anyway, they were half an hour a piece and took two (well, three, actually, since the second show was about the guy's family but his wife was with him) ordinary people on a genealogical journey that involved not just going to where their ancestors had been and hearing their stories but trying some of the things they did in their lifetimes. For instance, the first episode was about a woman who had a great-grandfather in the air corps in WWI and a grandfather who was among the first paratroopers into France on D-Day. She flew in a WWI plane, jumped out of a plane (though under much easier circumstances than her grandfather, obviously), and shot an M-1 rifle (and surprised the show's host and the French guide by hitting the helmet on a post she was aiming at straight on in her first try; her response: "I'm from Texas. I'm familiar with rifles."). She also was rewarded with her grandfather's dog tags--her grandmother had given them to the host to give them to her when she was in France--and, of course, cried.

The second episode was about a guy from Chicago and they went way back into his past to discover that he had an ancestor who was among the first Europeans/Quakers in New Jersey, another who was a neighbor/friend of Ben Franklin and worked in the first Philadelphia Fire Department, and a third who was a brewer and whose handwriting was so fine that he was the official scribe for the original copy of the Declaration of Independence, which I thought was especially cool. He and his wife built a fire, a leaf mattress, and stayed in a cave overnight (the early NJ Quakers spent the first winter living in caves); used an old-fashioned hand pump fire truck to put out a fire (set under controlled circumstances by actual contemporary firefighters--it was a house about the size of a modern playhouse that was built for the occasion); and brewed some beer colonial style. They did not have to try and write with a quill pen, though I thought that might have been interesting too.

I thought the show was enjoyable and I hope they do more episodes. It was fun to hear the stories, as it always is, and fun to see the descendants try to do some of the things their ancestors had done after hearing about them. The people involved seemed to find doing such things gave them a better idea of what their ancestors had been through, even if it wasn't especially pleasant (e.g. the Chicago guy's wife telling the host the next morning, "Did you know that cave crickets are a thing?").
    Punkin and Miss_Griss like this.

Friday's Finding Your Roots was maybe my favorite of all Gates' episodes. It had a lot of previous guests discussing in more detail their DNA results that didn't make it on the shows they were on. Best of all, Gates takes us through his own DNA and past generations. If you missed it you might want to check it out on OnDemand. It is Season 2, episode 10, "Decoding Our Past". Really interesting!
    Lynda

Finding Your Roots has been Renewed for Season 4 to premiere October 3rd on PBS details here:

PBS Announces Fall 2017 Schedule | Business Wire

Quote Originally Posted by mika06 View Post
    Finding Your Roots has been Renewed for Season 4 to premiere October 3rd on PBS details here:

PBS Announces Fall 2017 Schedule | Business Wire
    WOW, the 4th Season and I am just hearing about this show!!!

THANKS, mika06 for the UPDATE!!!

mika06 likes this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread