Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Not Netflix. I just looked.
    Lynda

Given the last episode of visionaries -- a question for any interested:

Do you think/feel that traits such as music, painting, electronics, even big dreams/visions can be carried thru DNA? Is it more than coincidence? Are we seeing evidence of connections against the odds or do our lives/webs really flow along linked connections that way?

I definitely think that certain talents are inherited but their applications may be formatted for different areas....you can have an ancestor who had a fantastic voice who became a preacher. Subsequent generations might produce someone who became an auctioneer, or someone who became a vocalist. Someone who had a talent for numbers may have been an entrepreneur in previous generations but whose descendants became computer geeks.
    Punkin and KTinCT like this.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Did anyone watch last night? WOW, I was stunned! It was Puffy (Sean Combs) and LL Cool J. I wont spoil it for a day or two but LL's story was amazing!
    mika06 and navybelle like this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    Did anyone watch last night? WOW, I was stunned! It was Puffy (Sean Combs) and LL Cool J. I wont spoil it for a day or two but LL's story was amazing!
    I am so glad they only did 2 participants. Puffy's family tree was awesome but an LL's I was in tears it was just Amazing.
    psucashcow, AmyKay and navybelle like this.

LL's story was even more amazing when you consider the number of roadblocks that Dr Gates' staff had to break through to get his story. Much more involved than almost any other celebrity participant's story that I've viewed in previous seasons.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    As soon as it's aired, you can talk about it and we don't consider it a spoiler. If someone hasn't watched, they need to stay out of the thread (and this goes for any show) if they don't want to know what happened. I don't consider this show one with major spoilers though. It's genealogy.

I'm not a fan of Diddy, but I really like LL Cool J. I was wondering at first why they were only covering two celebs in this episode, but it became obvious about halfway through. I loved all the genetic genealogy. It really has changed things so much. I know it helped me make a really cool discovery and I've got a pretty extensive family tree already.

I liked how they handled the whole thing, especially breaking the news to LL about his grandparents (or was it just the granfather at that point?) off-screen. That was a pretty big bombshell, so I'm glad they handled it with sensitivity. At least it wasn't a complete shock to his mom, since she'd heard whisperings about being adopted when she was growing up.

I'm always curious with these shows (this and WDYTYA) if the celebs stay on contact with newly-found relatives.
    Miss_Griss and AmyKay like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree. It was a fascinating show. I started out watching it while working, then had to give it my full attention.

It's amazing what they can do with DNA matching, which has positives and negatives, I suppose. For people who are adopted and are searching for their birth parents, DNA matches can provide amazing clues, but for parents who don't want to be found, it is problematic.

Also, I can't imagine how shocking it would be to get DNA work done and discover you aren't related genetically to your family if you didn't know you were adopted.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

That was a very, very interesting episode! Just hearing slavery is in your family's past must be so difficult, but as one of the men said, it's part of life the way it was back then. Since I just read a book dealing with that issue, I found the discoveries from this episode very intriguing. That the one ancestor got to vote, and they could see the record of it must have been so moving! I definitely got a new perspective on Diddy and LL after watching them.

Love this show - - thanks for the heads up!
    Punkin likes this.

Yeah. It's very touching to see the reactions that various guests of African descent have to both learning about ancestors who were enslaved and those who, unexpectedly, turned out to be free.

Slavery is an interesting issue for those of us who are white, too. I've always assumed that none of my ancestors had slaves, since they lived in Northern states, but on Kyra Sedgwick's profile during Season 1, they discovered that her ancestor, who lived in New England had at least one slave; so you just never know.

And even those of us whose ancestor's likely didn't have slaves no doubt have other blood on our hands if we come from European colonizers who took land and resources from indigenous peoples and often violently.

On a different note....

I think these guests are so lucky to have genealogists doing this in-depth research for them. I come from a Mormon background, so (thanks to a lot of relatives, both close and distant) I know who my ancestors are for quite a few generations back, but I would love to have the backstories for some of them. I'd also like to know if the one line that has a rather questionable-looking jump in it at one point really leads back to European royalty or if that was just wishful thinking on someone's part.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 02-17-2016 at 10:17 PM.
    murffy and navybelle like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread