+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

I've been a fan of Kara Walker's art for a number of years, but I didn't know much about her as a person. It was fun to "get to know" her a little.

Although I like WDYTYA, I prefer this show. It gives more history, more actually genealogical research and just more, since the episodes are longer. Plus, I love Skip Gates. He's one of the more adorable people on the planet.
    Punkin, mika06, GabbyG and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for letting us know that this is on again. I'm watching it right now at the PBS site.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I think this was one of the best episodes yet.
    Punkin and mika06 like this.

I really enjoyed the show tonight, and I thought it was hilarious that Bill Maher and Bill O'Reilly were related.
    dreamonia and AmyKay like this.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I really enjoyed the show tonight, and I thought it was hilarious that Bill Maher and Bill O'Reilly were related.
    Did you watch last week's episode instead of this week's? Tonight was Bill Hader, Norman Lear and Jimmy Kimmel.

This is the first time I've been related to a participant of this show (I'm also distantly related to Valerie Bertinelli, but that was WDYTYA). Bill Hader and I share common ancestors WAY back via the Plantagenets and Charlemagne. It's not a near relation, but still kind of cool.
    Punkin and woodiedog like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Oops. Sorry. I did watch last night's show live, but I had also watched the one with Maher and O'Reilly on demand, and I misspoke.

That's cool that you can trace your line back to the Plantagenets and Charlemagne.

I just recently tuned into this show, too, and was so pleasantly surprised. I've been a fan of WDYTYA, but I agree this show has a nice spin to it. And any time I can see Jimmy Kimmel is bonus.
    Does anyone know how many episodes will be airing? They're currently airing, correct? Wonder how many I've missed.

Episodes | Finding Your Roots | PBS

It looks like there have been six so far. You can watch them online at that link if you're in the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

I've been catching the ones I missed there. I really enjoyed the one with Keenan Ivory Wayans, Maya Rudolph, and Shonda Rhimes. It made me want to learn more about Madagascar and the ethnic makeup there. How can Keenan Ivory Wayans have 0% ancestry in continental Africa. He was as confused by that as I am.

P.S. I originally typed Myanmar instead of Madagascar. If you read it before I changed it, my apologies for the confusion.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 02-04-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    navybelle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I just recently tuned into this show, too, and was so pleasantly surprised. I've been a fan of WDYTYA, but I agree this show has a nice spin to it. And any time I can see Jimmy Kimmel is bonus.
    Does anyone know how many episodes will be airing? They're currently airing, correct? Wonder how many I've missed.
    There are previous episodes available on the official PBS website. Not sure how far back they go though. This is the third season. Each season is 10 episodes and episode 5 just aired this week, so we've got 5 more this season

Faces of America and Skip Gates' other genealogy-based series, African American Lives were also very good. Not sure if or where those are available.
    navybelle and woodiedog like this.

Amazon Prime has Season 2 for free. Seasons 1 and 3 are available but at a charge. Other places like Netflix or Hulu may carry them. I haven't checked.
    navybelle likes this.

+ Reply to Thread