+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

It's all so silly. I hope Affleck is ashamed about this and how many problems his moment of arrogance (in coercing them into changing the show) has caused the Skip Gates and production company. And I thought I couldn't have less respect for him than I already do.

It would be a real shame if this lead to the show being canceled. All over one self-important celebrity.
    Punkin, mika06 and causingchaos like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Every person in the world who has done "bad" things has relatives who have not done "bad" thinks and vice a versa. Learn from it, don't pretend it never existed.
    No goat killers on my island.

THis really sucks because I liked passing by and catching this show when it was on. I know they didn't get deep into all the stories of the family members because how could you. I'm sure lots of stuff was edited out but I'm super disappointed that Ben's actions have affected the show like this. It's not like he's the only one who has family members who did that. I mean seriously by the time you work through generations with so many kids in each one it's not that much of a surprise. Ben needs to get over himself.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

I don't like that Ben asked, but I dislike it more that Dr. Gates agreed.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

Have any of you caught the PBS series, "First Peoples" on Wednesday nights? I'm still digesting them via DVR. I thought I'd bring it up in here because the show deals so heavily with new DNA discoveries in terms of our origins and how much of ancient ancestors we still carry in our current DNA strands.
    Punkin likes this.

Thanks KT! I didn't know about First People! But I am watching it OnDemand right now!
    Lynda

Pbs - the first peoples

I don't know if anyone is watching this series, but it is fascinating. If you are interested in Anthropology, how humans evolved, what they now know about the first humans who left Africa, where they went, and who they met up with, watch this series.
    Punkin likes this.

Re: Pbs - the first peoples

I'm watching OnDemand right now! I'm on episode 3. Loving it!
    dreamonia likes this.
    Lynda

I had my DNA done by National Geographic. It is called "The Genographic Project" and when you get the kit, you get a cheek swab and can turn it in to get your results. It takes about 12 weeks. Unfortunately, women only get their maternal side. It takes your DNA back via mitochondrial DNA to your earliest ancestors. Parts of this show are, I believe, based on the results of this project. It tracks your ancient ancestry and how your DNA relates to others in your Geno group. I found out that I am 2.2% Neanderthal and 2.9% Denisovan from my mom. Her ancestors traveled across the Bering Straits and down into the Americas and others ended up in Europe. I took several Anthropology classes in college and graduated in 1995. At that time, they knew nothing about the Denisovans, suspected but didn't know for sure that the Neanderthal interbred with modern humans, and did not know how the Australian aboriginals got to Australia or what their origins actually were.
    Last edited by annemik; 07-04-2015 at 01:17 AM.

I loved tonight's episode very fascinating.

+ Reply to Thread