+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

Re: Finding Your Roots (PBS) and other genealogy shows

To see if I'm understanding this correctly...my sister has 3 kids from 2 different fathers. This would suggest the 3rd may actually have some genetic connection to the father of the other 2? But in my case where I only have one child, there wouldn't be any connection to prior encounters because I didn't bear children?

I caught up on America Ferrera and Bill Paxton's WDYTYA eps yesterday, both pretty interesting. Only 1 more left? Melissa Ethridge?
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Ben Affleck Apologizes for PBS Slavery Censorship: 'I Was Embarrassed'
    I guess he never suspected it would come out. I think that says something about other celebrities who were dismayed to learn the same uncomfortable information and accepted it with perspective of the times their ancestors lived in.
    KTinCT and Jax like this.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    [b]

I guess he never suspected it would come out. I think that says something about other celebrities who were dismayed to learn the same uncomfortable information and accepted it with perspective of the times their ancestors lived in.
    He apologized. That's a good thing.
    Punkin and Realitychick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    To see if I'm understanding this correctly...my sister has 3 kids from 2 different fathers. This would suggest the 3rd may actually have some genetic connection to the father of the other 2? But in my case where I only have one child, there wouldn't be any connection to prior encounters because I didn't bear children?
    I think the ultimate concept is that taking in male DNA can affect the females who take it in. Any child is a product of its mother, and so it goes.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I hope Affleck is a stand up guy and treating the mother of his children with respect, love and kindness. His children's judgment is the only thing that should matter. They aren't going to worry about all those ancestors that came before them. Why Affleck wanted the information of slave owners buried was just plain stupid. Proof that the cover up is always worse than the lie.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by KTinCT View Post
    I think the ultimate concept is that taking in male DNA can affect the females who take it in. Any child is a product of its mother, and so it goes.
    I think the point was, that if my great grandmother had had sex with someone of a different ethnicity from my great grandfather, that other guy's DNA could show up in mine, even though he's not my ancestor. If that's the case, DNA testing may not be as accurate as once thought.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    ... If that's the case, DNA testing may not be as accurate as once thought.
    Or the evolution of DNA is far more all-inclusive than we thought.

This concept would certainly support the concept of virginity, right? Hmmmm .... hundreds of years of virginity.

FORT Fogey

Re: Who Do You Think You Are?

Please move this if this is in the wrong space. PBS will not be showing any more of the Gates' ancestry program "Finding Your Roots" because he allowed Ben Afflec to dictate that he didn't want his slave owning ancestry to be broadcast.

I guess this all came to light when Sony was hacked...but I am surprised that PBS would take such a strong stand against the
    show and Dr Gates. They have going forward with season 4 on hold also.

It's actually the 3rd season that's being delayed. They have not committed to a 4th season.
    Citing Ben Affleck’s ‘Improper Influence,’ PBS Suspends ‘Finding Your Roots’

By JOHN KOBLINJUNE 24, 2015

PBS said on Wednesday that it was postponing a future season of “Finding Your Roots” after an investigation revealed that the actor Ben Affleck pressured producers into leaving out details about an ancestor of his who owned slaves.

PBS will not run the show’s third season until staffing changes are made, including hiring a fact checker, it said.

The show, which is hosted by the Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., traces family histories of celebrities and public figures, and has run for two seasons. The concern about Mr. Affleck’s relative surfaced in the WikiLeaks cache of hacked Sony emails after Mr. Gates asked a Sony executive for advice about a “megastar” who wanted to omit a detail about a slave-owning ancestor.

“We’ve never had anyone ever try to censor or edit what we found,” Mr. Gates wrote to a Sony executive, Michael Lynton, in July 2014. Mr. Gates added that this would violate PBS rules, and “once we open the door to censorship, we lose control of the brand.”

When the episode was broadcast in October, it did not mention the slave-owning ancestor. After the emails were posted to WikiLeaks, Mr. Gates said that producers had discovered more interesting ancestors from Mr. Affleck’s family, including a relative from the Revolutionary War and an occult enthusiast.

Mr. Affleck said in April that he was “embarrassed” when he discovered that he was related to a slave owner. “I didn’t want any television show about my family to include a guy who owned slaves,” Mr. Affleck wrote on Facebook.

In the investigation, PBS said that producers violated network standards by letting Mr. Affleck have “improper influence” and “by failing to inform PBS or WNET of Mr. Affleck’s efforts to affect program content.”

The network said that before the third season of “Finding Your Roots” can broadcast, the show needs to make some staffing changes, including the addition of a fact checker and an “independent genealogist” to review the show’s contents.

PBS also said that it had not made a decision about whether to commit to a fourth season of the show.

In a statement on Wednesday, Mr. Gates said, “I sincerely regret not discussing my editing rationale with our partners at PBS and WNET and I apologize for putting PBS and its member stations in the position of having to defend the integrity of their programming.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/bu...oots.html?_r=0
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That's a true shame. I hope it's resolved soon. Personal 'disclaimers' in the credits??

+ Reply to Thread