+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Undercover Boss CBS

Re: Undercover Boss CBS

Holy Jessi the subway girl was hard as nails and wound up with her entire education paid for! I think that's one of the biggest rewards given. Actually, for the most part, they all were pretty tough on him. It was kind of interesting to see them before they knew who he was and after.

I have all of this season's episodes recorded but haven't gotten around to watching them yet until tonight --- Watched the Lucky Strike Bowling one.

As usual, I got all soppy & emotional and got plenty of warm and fuzzy feelings from the show. But I do agree with some here that the show has changed. It now seems to highlight the employees personal problems more than their loyalty and hard work.

Sure, I'd still like to see people's problems solved ($$). But last season, it emphasised the work ethic of the employees and how that was rewarded, which makes more sense. Seeing that might inspire others. It's not supposed to be about a Fairy Godmother, solving all the pain and hurt that everyone has. We've all "lost" someone dear, we've all had hard times but the fact that they gave 100% to their jobs despite those tribulations is what it was once about.

But I still love the concept of a CEO who's become accustomed to the good life, get down and dirty and meet people who have it harder than he/she does. I know wealthy people who have gotten so used to having it all that they forget what it was like before they had it all. I imagine many of these CEO's did at one time "pay their dues" and struggled but all of us need to be reminded now and then.

I don't watch this show much anymore. It never was what I thought it was going to be and I'm not interested in story after story of down on their luck employees getting stuff.

However, I saw the beginning of the Subway show and I would think he would have noticed a theme with the front line staff training him in that they probably weren't the best people to have in place for employee retention. If were I to be starting some minimum wage front line staff job somewhere and walked into those places and were confronted buy that level of annoyance and/or impatience I would walk right back out again and find another minimum wage job to be at. It's just not a welcoming place. I didn't watch it through the end so I don't know ultimately if there was some program put in place about training people in or what but I'm surprised he didn't note that as an issue early on.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne;4088074;
    I was hoping that at the end when all of the big shots were talking about the 10% cut that the CEO would say...we are taking a 10% cut from our salaries and giving it back to the employees. That would be the Christian thing to do!
    Unfortunately that IS the Christian way of doing things!
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fogey

But I still love the concept of a CEO who's become accustomed to the good life, get down and dirty and meet people who have it harder than he/she does. I know wealthy people who have gotten so used to having it all that they forget what it was like before they had it all. I imagine many of these CEO's did at one time "pay their dues" and struggled but all of us need to be reminded now and then.[/QUOTE]

I work with someone whose late husband only took a high ranking job with the Good Samaritan Society, which runs nursing homes, on the condition that he would first work for six weeks as a CNA at a rural nursing home and then for six weeks as a CNA in a city nursing home, so that he would understand, at the basic level, what it was like to be one of his eventual employees and how the homes in that state ran on a day to day basis. I never met the man, because he died before I began working with his wife, but I respect the heck out of him for insisting on doing that before becoming an executive with the firm. He certainly didn't have to, but it gave him an important, distinctive view of the homes that most executives didn't have.

Quite some time ago, they did a similar show to Undercover Boss on a cable station. The CEO of Loewe's hotel chain was one of the bosses who went undercover. I loved that when he came back to his CEO position, he immediately started in on practical changes that would make the day to day lives of all employees better--just simple things like getting better carts for the housekeeping and room service staffs. He also told his executives that he was going to have each of them spend time on the job as housekeepers, front desk personnel etc. so they'd better understand the way the chain really worked too. You should have seen the looks on their faces when he said that. I hope he really made them do it and didn't let any of them squirm out of it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4111004;
    Holy Jessi the subway girl was hard as nails and wound up with her entire education paid for! I think that's one of the biggest rewards given. Actually, for the most part, they all were pretty tough on him. It was kind of interesting to see them before they knew who he was and after.
    Don't forget that she and her dad also got a trip to Hawaii. I loved her, by the way. Cracked me up the way she was so young and petite and afraid of absolutely nothing.

FORT Newbie

Whenever I see an episode of Undercover Boss I find myself talking to the TV in exasperation. "No Mr. Boss! Please don't go to lunch or on break with the workers!" That's because I just know that's when the boss is going to be subjected to hard luck stories of broken homes, broken dreams and lots of lamenting about long hours and low pay. And whatever company it is these are the most noble group of workers one could ever hire, almost like they were cherry picked in advance by the corporation and the producers (maybe because they were.)

I've also noticed- and this is a sensitive subject- that my Caucasian racial group is very underrepresented as employees on Undercover Boss. Where they heck are all the white males, spending their trust fund money on a beach in the Caribbean? This past Sunday there were fireplug latina Subway managers, overachieving intellectual 20 year-old male African-American mangers and so on, but the only whites were the occasionally impatient customers waiting for a 12" Subway club. In fact I have to go all the way back to the Hooters episode to find a white male GM of a restaurant, and he was edited to portray a adolescent loser drunk with power over his attractive female staff. Note: at least his reindeer games didn't involve the female servers disrobing.

Lastly, I hope that Rocco the Wrigley Field hot dog vender from the last episode gets some inspiration from Subway's Fred Deluca. How the heck does one get stuck in a job like that for 28 years without having the inspiration to branch out a bit? The guy who founded the Wienerschnitzel restaurant chain must have started with one puny hot dog stand a long time ago. Most any person would go nuts after one season of shouting "yo hot dog!" Think bigger Rocco.

O.K. it's a fun show to watch.
    Last edited by Wcstflyer; 11-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.

It's weird that every CEO has the same 'office' that he/she uncovers the real purpose of the show.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I was surprised that Danielle, in last night's episode, agreed to be on the show.
    She certainly did epitomize so much of the worst that we've, sadly, all come to associate with call centers.
    Then, we see the end credits, we find out that Danielle did get retraining, but is no longer working for the company.
    I just don't understand, however, why anyone needs "training" to treat people with respect. Shouldn't we all have learned that by her age?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Unfortunately, repsect seems to be a dying trait. You see people who simply don't seem to understand the basic concepts of how to treat other human beings. It's sad.

I'm surprised she allowed it, but we are living in a world where getting on to reality tv is becoming the new dream.

+ Reply to Thread