+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Undercover Boss CBS

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Undercover Boss CBS

As a person who has eaten them, and watched them being prepared, I can tell you that your imagination has led you down the wrong path (about the "gooey grease"). The speed at which their workers handle that grill is amazing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3842665;
    Tonight is about White Castle which is headquartered here where I live. There was a nice article in today's local paper about the show.

Forget TV publicity; co-owner of White Castle just wants to improve company | The Columbus Dispatch
    That was a very informative article and it answered a few questions I had regarding the editing of the show. Thanks for posting it.

I wondered how much went into the process of picking employees with riveting stories. I think it goes to show that just about everyone has a story to tell if if the time is taken to inquire. There was a news channel show sort of like that, but, unfortunately, I have forgotten the name. A random person from a random town was selected each week and the host would go to their town and interview that person. There was always an interesting angle to be found. Good thing I was never picked because I would have been a dud..lol

snipThe producers asked to be exposed to as many employees as possible. There was no auditioning, scripting or pre-interviewing to find employees who might be more colorful or talkative, executive producer Eli Holzman said.

"You're better served just getting out of the way and letting the experience unfold," Holzman said.

The producers have cut down the many hours of film to make an hourlong show that, minus commercials, has only about 40 minutes of content. The network and producers have complete control of that content, and the folks at White Castle will see the finished product at the same time as everyone else - tonight.

"The greatest risk is that they (White Castle) do not have approval of final cut," Marconi said. "If CBS has final edit, CBS has an agenda and a motive totally different from White Castle. The network is looking for interesting, dramatic, colorful, humorous entertainment.snip
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Kiz, I used to love that piece on CBS Sunday Morning show (can't remember the guys name), but I happened upon a re-take this past weekend with him doing a where in the world spot (in 3 locations) - turned out they went to the Middle East, India, and one other place I think in Europe. They did the same pick out of th phone book name.

I really like this show because it shows the "little" guy mostly working really hard, and in this economy, anyone should work hard. I'll bet that White Castle will up their rewards after seeing the other company's shows...they don't want to be out done.

I loved the first episode the best, Waste Management...they are in my region, and I never knew they had all the different types of programs (recycling, etc.).

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Luna;3843854;
    $5,000 is more than most employers give their employees.

So I think that $5,000 was a very generous gift, considering he didn't have to give anything. Most people have to pay for their own college tuition.

And isn't this show about making changes to the company itself? It seems like most people expect them to give out rewards to their employees, or they are disappointed because they didn't give enough.

I do realize this, but this case is different than the normal `you-do-a-job-for-an-agreed-upon-salary-and-benefits' thing. The company is using the employees on a TV show, and getting many hundres of dollars of free positive publicity out of it. This show is a basically a long commercial for the company shown that week, and it is the employees and their personal stories that help the company come off looking so good. I do think the company owes them something for that `extra work', in light of how much the company is benefitting directly from it.

But what about all the other employees that we don't see that work just as hard as some of the people showcased & have just as many or more hardships??? No one is giving them anything extra, are they not just as deserving? It's nice that they are giving these people "extra" stuff, but I don't think it's fair to everyone else.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I've only watched 2 episodes. Enjoyed them both.
    However, I think the 7 11 may have set a precedent that will be hard for others to follow. I don't agree with 1 employee being singled out to get his own franchise.
    I prefer that they share / split things.
    As far as the $5,000, I thought there was nothing wrong with that, either.
    I'm sur these employees were thrilled to be singled out / appear on the show. Doesn't mean their employer has to give them thousands of dollars. JMO
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Kiz

Nice article about Undercover Boss.

{snip}And, since the show is so successful, will there be a Season 2? "The chances for that are looking exceptionally good," says Holzman; although, as of this writing, CBS had not committed to anything.

He notes that before any of the episodes aired, it was a little difficult to talk companies into participating. They had no idea of the final, edited outcome, and didn't want to look foolish on national TV. "Now we get calls every day from companies who want to participate," he says.

But now that the bosses' cover is blown, will a Season 2 work? Won't employees be suspicious when some new person walks in, accompanied by a huge camera crew? "We have some clever ways to work around that," says Holzman. But if he revealed them, they wouldn't work, would they? You'll just have to stay tuned to Undercover Boss to find out for yourself.{snip}
    Inside Undercover Boss - Careers Articles
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Ger

I only watched this show one time and that was this past Sunday and it was about the 7 eleven stores and I really liked the show.

I would love to keep watching and have to see if they do re runs because I won't be able to watch it this week or the next because the C A starts this Sunday right after Amazing Race and it is on for 2 hours.

But really do enjoy watching this show and wish I had tuned in earlier.

I've watched three episodes. This is just another reality show to get ratings for CBS, seems scripted at times IMO. It does have it's surprises like the driver from Khazikstan, Doris from 7-11, and the awful manager from Hooters. ~How misogynistic was he?~ But really, why is it expected that these bosses are supposed to give any type of gifts at all to any of these employees? It should be okay if they do or equally fine if they don't. IMHO

I don't care if they give gifts to employees really. What I do care about is the organizational change that is not happening on many of these shows. I'm just not that interested in another hour of "poor me" stories and it seems like this is what this show is.

+ Reply to Thread