+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Undercover Boss CBS

FORT Regular

Re: Undercover Boss CBS

I did not get a good impression of the White Castle boss from this episode. Since these employees participate in this TV show and help give a company pretty positive publicity, the company could and should at the very least really do something meaningful for them if they're doing a good job.
    When the White Castle boss announced to the 17-year-old that he was giving him a $5,000 scholarship, I was like, `You've got to be kidding me. That's all you're going to cough up for the scholarship?'

I was born in Baltimore and we grew up eating those white castle burgers. I miss those living in cali.

As far as a scholarship goes it is the thought that counts. It's 5k more than he had before is how I see it.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I grew up eating White Castle, so it has a dear spot in my heart.
    And, since I can't get them on the WC, I especially miss them.
    Haven't seen the ending yet, but I like the CEO and thought he came across as sincere.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by dippitydoo;3842787;
    I did not get a good impression of the White Castle boss from this episode. Since these employees participate in this TV show and help give a company pretty positive publicity, the company could and should at the very least really do something meaningful for them if they're doing a good job.
    When the White Castle boss announced to the 17-year-old that he was giving him a $5,000 scholarship, I was like, `You've got to be kidding me. That's all you're going to cough up for the scholarship?'
    I had the same thought as well about the scholarship. It's more than he had before but that will barely cover a semester's worth of stuff for that poor kid. I was not impressed by the "personal" gifts in this episode.

I'm surprised that he was surprised that the woman was worried about being fired all the time. That's how it is in any fast food joint. Especially with a regimented manual on how to handle your pickles for goodness sake.

FORT Newbie

This whole show is starting to feel like a plan hatched by a TV executive to sell ad space that cannot be fast forwarded through....It just feels like an hour long commercial to me. I think last nights episode will be my last.

I have to agree Brett. Now officially i watched half of the 7/11 show, all of the hooters show and most of this last show. And definately the hooters show felt like one hour long commercial for hooters. 7/11 didn't keep my interest long enough to determine and then this white castle one felt like a "look at our product lines and quality product" show. I don't know. I really thought this show was going to be more about systemic change in organizations which is why I wanted to watch it. I wanted to see the changes happen and be implemented based on what they experience but instead I get a lot of "experience" and lip service about change.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3842821;
    I was born in Baltimore and we grew up eating those white castle burgers. I miss those living in cali.

As far as a scholarship goes it is the thought that counts. It's 5k more than he had before is how I see it.

I do realize that, and I tried thinking that way, but then I'm like, `How many thousands of dollars of positive publicity did they get from this show, and the `use' of screen time with these inspirational employess like this - and that's all they give him??"
    As Causing Chaos said, $5,000 will barely cover a semester's worth of expenses, nowadays.

$5,000 is more than most employers give their employees.

The two brothers of the company I work for don't even show appreciation to their employees. We've never had a company picnic or a Holiday party. We've never had bonus's, nor even a Christmas card from them.

They pay only minimum wage to the production workers. And the only raise they get is the one required by law when the miniumn wage goes up.

No matter how many years you've been there, you only get 1-week paid vacation per year, no sick pay, no pay for maternity leave, and no pay if you have a death in the family and you need to take a few days off for that.

So I think that $5,000 was a very generous gift, considering he didn't have to give anything. Most people have to pay for their own college tuition.

And isn't this show about making changes to the company itself? It seems like most people expect them to give out rewards to their employees, or they are disappointed because they didn't give enough.

In theory the show is about making changes to the companies themselves but lets face it the show appears to be about the free advertising about the various stuff these companies sell and the sob stories for ratings. If you're going to use that kid for ratings then at least give him a decent scholarship.

Most companies don't put their line workers on national TV either to bump up ratings and revenue. Yeah it's great that he got something for a scholarship but when they essentially used him for this show he ceased to be any other minimum wage worker that doesn't get a thing.

And White Castle is as guilty as these other employers for hiring part time employees, not giving them benefits and paying them minimum wage. If they wanted to make a real change they would start to look into that kind of stuff or a some sort of college funding opportunity company wide. But I didn't see him rushing into that either.

None of these companies are really that into making serious systemic changes.

FORT Fogey

I have never ever eaten a White Castle burger, and after watching the show probably never will. Those pans they were making them on were absolutely disgusting. Looked like a pile of gooey grease under it a couple inches thick.

+ Reply to Thread