+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Undercover Boss CBS

Re: Undercover Boss CBS

Thanks Daiseyo, After they said how Igor got his own store, my husband said & is now in debt over all the franchising costs! Now I can tell him that didn't happen.

Re Hooters, what I'm going to guess happened is that the CEO's dad owned the dressing company and saw the other 6 guys that ran Hooters and then got involved. But that could be wrong.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3835578;
    Thanks Daiseyo, After they said how Igor got his own store, my husband said & is now in debt over all the franchising costs! Now I can tell him that didn't happen.
    It was really moving to watch Igor when the CEO told him all of the startup costs were waived -- Igor was tearing up, and couldn't speak. I was happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3835295;
    I really enjoyed the 7-11 show, although I bought coffee at 7-11 this morning and the lady making the coffee hardly nodded at me let alone gave me a hug or a punch. (lol) The 7-11 CEO could give the Hooters' CEO lessons in management and probably life in general. If not for nepotism, the Hooters guy would be lucky to hold an hourly position with the company.
    I watched the first half hour and got bored and wandered off but I have to say from the half hour I watched it was much more what I was looking for in a show vs. the hooters episode. It looked like he was going there to address some actual issues that affect lots of people like the employees viewing it as a dead end job, the bakery items getting thrown away etc. It looked like he was getting some serious information about the day to day aspects of the business that will influence how decisions are made from the top down. Which is what I wanted to see and which was missing from the hooters show. I didn't get to see the solutions/outcomes on the 7/11 show but at least he was asking the right questions.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I missed the last couple of minutes of the 7-11 show, when they said Igor got his own store, that's great! Did they show anything about the others, like Delores?

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3836547;
    I missed the last couple of minutes of the 7-11 show, when they said Igor got his own store, that's great! Did they show anything about the others, like Delores?
    yes, I'm terrible with details but I'll try to let you know what happened. Delores got some money donated in her name to go to kidney stuff. They said they were also planning to make it a priority in the company to make people aware of the need to donate organs.

The artist guy (I think Carl is his name) they gave him a chance to draw freelance for the 7-11 marketing department.

The Pakistani guy is now some sort of manager with 10 stores that he's responsible for.

I don't think they menioned the other lady at all, the one with the lightbulbs out in her store. They didn't really show her reaction, they briefly gave us a view of her when they were all at the meeting together, but they didn't recap that part at all, nor seem to do anything for her. They might have but then just didn't mention it.

This episode had me bawling like a baby.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Thanks for the info on the last bits of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3838082;
    Thanks for the info on the last bits of the show.
    You're welcome, even though it was such disjointed info.

The show made it seem that the lady with the lightbulbs out in the store was going to get a visit from the maintance guy and that was going to be it. He was mad that the maintance guys didn't come out and made it a low level problem.

Tonight is about White Castle which is headquartered here where I live. There was a nice article in today's local paper about the show.

Forget TV publicity; co-owner of White Castle just wants to improve company | The Columbus Dispatch

Given recent events, it would be difficult to know that White Castle spent most of its life avoiding publicity.

Tune into the hit CBS show Undercover Boss tonight, and you'll see a member of the fourth generation to run White Castle going behind the scenes to witness - along with millions of TV viewers across the country - how the business is really run.

It's becoming part of a trend. The company's cult status increasingly is seen as a nice device for also helping to attract customers of entertainment or other goods.

Slyder cravings figured prominently in the 2004 movie Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. White Castle also has shown up in such areas of popular culture as hip T-shirts that department-store chain Lord & Taylor began selling in 2004.

"The opportunities started to come to us," said Jamie Richardson, vice president of government and shareholder relations at White Castle, who is not related to the family who owns the company. "We've never actively pursued them. We're not running Super Bowl ads."

Despite the recent spotlight, the descendants of White Castle founder Billy Ingram who still own and operate the company say that they mostly keep the same low profile.

"I think we're intrinsically shy," Richardson said. "A lot of the culture of a company comes from its beginnings. From the very beginning, BiIly Ingram was an entrepreneur and an innovator, but at the same time, he got it that he should not create the company around his personality. He put it back to the people running the restaurants. He really understood that."

So, when the producers of a then-unknown reality show called Undercover Boss approached the privately held company early in 2009 to put one of the owners on national television, they might have expected to be politely turned down.

But they weren't. Instead, tonight's edition of the show will feature Dave Rife, one of the owners of White Castle and great-grandson of Billy Ingram, as he attempts to go undercover throughout the company.

What persuaded Rife to take this unusual step into the limelight?

Many would say that it was the lure of good publicity. After all, some critics said after the series premiered on Super Bowl Sunday that Undercover Boss is, in effect, wrote Hamilton Nolan of Gawker.com, "an hour-long corporate public-relations message, broadcast to a far larger audience than the corporation could ever hope to reach itself."

But White Castle officials and Undercover Boss producers say that was not the case. No one knew that the show would be a hit when the producers approached White Castle, Richardson said.

Quite the contrary, he said. "There was a lot of uncertainty. We didn't know for certain it was actually going to happen, when it would air, if it would air."

In fact, from a marketing and public-relations standpoint, the decision to accept the offer was "very dangerous," said Joe Marconi, an expert in communication, marketing and crisis management and the author of 15 books on the subjects.

To understand why, it's important to know the conditions under which the show was produced.

This episode of Undercover Boss was shot in an intense 10 days in March in several White Castle locations in Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana, including restaurants, the company's bakery and its frozen-hamburger plant.

The producers asked to be exposed to as many employees as possible. There was no auditioning, scripting or pre-interviewing to find employees who might be more colorful or talkative, executive producer Eli Holzman said.

"You're better served just getting out of the way and letting the experience unfold," Holzman said.

The producers have cut down the many hours of film to make an hourlong show that, minus commercials, has only about 40 minutes of content. The network and producers have complete control of that content, and the folks at White Castle will see the finished product at the same time as everyone else - tonight.

"The greatest risk is that they (White Castle) do not have approval of final cut," Marconi said. "If CBS has final edit, CBS has an agenda and a motive totally different from White Castle. The network is looking for interesting, dramatic, colorful, humorous entertainment.

"That's quite different from what White Castle is looking for, which is visibility and validation of quality," Marconi said.

That lack of control did give White Castle pause, Rife said recently in his office at White Castle headquarters.

"We did think about it for a while," he said. "We pondered the question and had a meeting about it."

"We don't have editorial control, and we haven't seen it," Richardson said. "We know what Dave experienced, but there are dozens of hours of film. We'll find out on Sunday with the rest of the country."

So why, amid so much uncertainty, did White Castle accept the offer?

"It seemed like such a huge opportunity to learn about the business on the front line," Rife said. "If we were able to pull it off, to see the reality and find out how team members really feel about us, it would be invaluable."

What also tipped the scale, Richardson said, "was that we trust our team members and trust our ability to hear what's good and what's bad."

In one promo for the show, Rife is caught mishandling bakery equipment and, in fact, "he really goofed up," Richardson said. "He was working in the area where the buns are packaged - it takes a fair amount of dexterity - and he did OK on the first couple. Then his troubles began. It wasn't pretty."

Despite some bumbling by Rife, employees never guessed his identity and almost never asked who he was, Richardson said. "Their understanding was he was a person exploring jobs in different industries at the entry level, and the film crew was doing a documentary about it."

"Dave pulled it off brilliantly," Holzman said. "We stand back and document and never know what will happen. When people have a real, genuine, emotional connection, that's always interesting to discover. Without giving away too much, that happens with Dave and one of the employees he worked alongside."

The biggest challenge Rife faced in keeping his identity a secret came in Covington, Ky., at the frozen-hamburger plant that his brother Brad runs. Rife managed to avoid detection by working on shifts when his brother was off - and by shaving. He had a beard for years before committing to do the show.

White Castle officials said the undercover experience has already begun to bear fruit beyond what they hope will be good publicity.

"Right after we finished shooting, we sat down and had a big debriefing and began formulating action plans," Rife said. "We're now moving forward with those plans."

Those include building a process to better identify and communicate with star employees, so that the company can tap into that talent for the future and keep them motivated in the present, Rife said.

Rife said any vulnerability to possible bad publicity is an acceptable risk, even if it leaves him feeling nervous.

Neither he nor other members of his family will be showing up on White Castle ads or other TV shows. For them, Undercover Boss was all about making the company better, not about becoming celebrities.

"My great-grandfather built this business with the idea that a happy team makes for happy customers," Rife said. "That is so true."

+ Reply to Thread