+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be Good Johnny Weir (Sundance Channel)

FORT Newbie

Be Good Johnny Weir (Sundance Channel)

Mondays 10:30pm ET/PT on the Sundance Channel (All episodes available On Demand)

Sundance

Lights, camera, axel! The eight-part Sundance Channel original documentary series, BE GOOD JOHNNY WEIR explores the life of one of America's most outspoken and colorful sports figures, three-time U.S. National Figure Skating Champion and World Medalist Johnny Weir. (Series will document Weir as he heads to the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics)
    T Lo Recommends

THIS [TV promo] sent us scrambling to our TV. A reality TV series starring a talented, charismatic, obnoxious queen? We are so there! But a funny thing happened when we tuned in for the first episode last week. Instead of a high-glitz reality show starring a bitchy queen in ridiculous outfits, we got a sober look at an artist and an athlete trying to reconcile those two worlds while at the same time trying to come to terms with his own demons.

Don't get us wrong, there were plenty of mani-pedi scenes and NY Fashion Week scenes and trying on clothes and performing model struts in hotel hallways and all the kinds of things a little queen in his early 20s will do when there's a camera trained on him, But there were also many, many scenes showing just how excruciating the training is and how high the stakes are. And thankfully, for the neophytes like us, there are extensive explanations of what constitutes the world of competitive figure skating and who the major players are.

The first "episode" of the series is actually a hour-and-a-half documentary that made the festival rounds earlier this year. The second episode (which airs tonight) is in a more recognizable half-hour reality TV format. Either way, we think it's worth watching. He's charismatic. He's fabulous. He's talented. He's infuriating. He's hilarious. He's a bitch. Seriously, minions. What more are you looking for in your reality television?
    If your curiosity still isn't piqued, watch GAYEST TV PROMO EVER and Johnny Weir skating to Poker Face! That should do it.

Well, I admit to being completely obsessed with Johnny to begin. The show itself is awesome and Johnny himself, a fascinating character study. I’ve caught up to the third episode On Demand and it’s quickly becoming my crack. Has anyone else here watched the show?

FORT Fogey

Re: Be Good Johnny Weir

I posted the Poker Face exhibition on my facebook! lol! I am so thrilled! I love this guy! He's a bundle of glittery entertainment!

I've loved Johnny since he was a wee lad. And not in a scuzzy, pervyway. He's just so cute & those costumes are crazy. Kind of like figure skating's answer to Rufus Wainwright.

Does anyone else remember seeing him with Kathy Griffin on My Life on the D-List two seasons ago? I was in heaven.

I just went to the Sundance channel and set my DVR to record all episodes up to the present. I always love it when he does well in a competition. Altho most of his costumes hurt my eyes to look at. The "drama" between him and Evan Lysachek (sp) at the nationals last year was hilarious!

I'm enjoying this series, although he does spend a lot of time posing in his underwear. I've always loved his skating style and the way he gets under the skin of the USFSA. It's weird that he said he does paid show overseas, not in the U.S. He didn't explain, so I wondered if that was because they will pay more?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3822252;
    I'm enjoying this series, although he does spend a lot of time posing in his underwear. I've always loved his skating style and the way he gets under the skin of the USFSA. It's weird that he said he does paid show overseas, not in the U.S. He didn't explain, so I wondered if that was because they will pay more?
    Could it have something to do with his amateur status?

I've been watching too and I have to say, I much prefer watching him skate in practice when he's not wearing one of his bizarre and over-done costumes. I know he's just expressing himself, but I think many of his costumes take focus away from the power of his skating.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakoscope;3812677;
    Mondays 10:30pm ET/PT on the Sundance Channel (All episodes available On Demand)

Sundance

T Lo Recommends

If your curiosity still isn't piqued, watch GAYEST TV PROMO EVER and Johnny Weir skating to Poker Face! That should do it.

Well, I admit to being completely obsessed with Johnny to begin. The show itself is awesome and Johnny himself, a fascinating character study. I’ve caught up to the third episode On Demand and it’s quickly becoming my crack. Has anyone else here watched the show?
    POKER FACE, that was awesome. Thanks for posting. I am excited to watch him in the Olympics!!!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I love Johnny! This guy is a bundle of entertainment.

I recorded all of the episodes so far and watched them all before the Olympics started. This show completely surpassed my expectations. I liked Johnny before, but I really like him now. On top of being a dedicated athlete, he is hilarious!!! In the pilot show they showed a bit from a post-competition press conference when Evan Lysachek was talking endlessly and they panned over to Johnny. He looked completely put out, but then he shook his head just the tinniest little bit - I know this is something you have to actually see to get the humor out of it, but I was rolling! And the time he was comparing himself to another skater and said something to the effect of "I'm like fine congnac and a cigarette and he's like vodka and crack" I can see why the governing bodies are worried by him, but I think he's fabulous and I will be rooting for him all the way when the men's Olympic competition starts!!!!

On a side note, are there more episodes coming?? I scrolled forward in my online guide as far as I can and all I see are repeats...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3822676;
    Could it have something to do with his amateur status?

I've been watching too and I have to say, I much prefer watching him skate in practice when he's not wearing one of his bizarre and over-done costumes. I know he's just expressing himself, but I think many of his costumes take focus away from the power of his skating.
    I think it does affect his amateur status if he does the paid shows in the US which I think then impacts if he can go to the olympics. Skating is so political there could be any number of reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast