+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be Good Johnny Weir (Sundance Channel)

FORT Fogey

Re: Be Good Johnny Weir

I am sending good vibes Johhny's way! He's competing tomorrow!

Didn't one of the episodes show him driving to Lake Placid to perform in a show? I remember him telling his agent that it's not his favorite place.

Here's a Q&A on professional vs. amateur status: Professional Ice Skater or Amateur Ice Skater?

Go, Johnny, Go!

Be Good Johnny Weir

This has been on heavy rotation on the Sundance Channel at least since the Olympics. I had not seen figure skating since the last Olympics, but when Johnny came out in that black and shocking pink outfit with that great hairdo and skated that super cool short program, I just fell in love. His skating is so elegant and beautiful, and his style is so bold and sometimes campy. He's a great performer, both on the ice and in the series.

So when I discovered this program on Sundance that basically followed him through the 2009 season leading up to those Olympics, I was so glad. He is so funny; it is so entertaining. There is also a full-length "movie" called Pop Star on Ice that they are playing a lot, too. The filmmaker does a really good job both on the movie and the shorter episodes.

I'm sorry I didn't give you all the heads up on this show earlier. I just thought to post as they have a new episode every Monday (but lots of repeats throughout the week).

Okay I don't get what getting paid has to do with the Olympics. There were NHL players on hockey teams & I am sure NFL players are well paid.

The US didn't allow professsional hockey players into the Olympics until the 80's I believe. There is a lot of debate about allowing "professional" (paid) athletes into the Olympics. Previously they were using college kids on the US hockey teams and the big to do with the whole miracle team was that not only did the US win the game but this bunch of kids won against professional athletes from other countries.

Figure skating's stance is that you are no longer able to compete once you start taking money for your sport as you have entered into a "professional" status essentially. It's how they maintain control of their organization and their sport.

Anyhow, on a side note. The US figure skating oversight group is highly political and it's evident from child figure skating on up to adult.

I would be a very happy person if the Olympics didn't use professional athletes on their basketball or hockey teams or any other of these teams and went back to using kids who just have a lot of passion for the sports. I don't foresee that happening except with hockey and only hockey because the winter olympics interferes with their regular season.

FORT Fogey

I don't mind professionals competing. For sports like ice skating, it is really expensive to compete at a high level. With a lot of these sports, training is like their job. It takes a lot of time and money to get far in many of these sports. I just would hope that if professionals can compete that their countries let them. That makes it more fair.
    I'm still confused about the rules for eligibility in skating. I am really confused about what Johnny is going to do next. He has withdrawn from Worlds this year and he says he is trying to evaluate his next move. It almost sounded like he would be preparing to compete next season but since he's been all over Hollywood, I am betting he is going to be on television somewhere instead.

Skating's rules are pretty simple. If you're doing shows etc. where you are accepting money to skate then you are not able to compete in competitions such as the Olympics because you are now considered professional.

I guess that's what I liked about the Olympics that it wasn't just a sport for those who were famous or born into money. Anyone could do it. Anyone with a dream could get out there and do their thing and have a chance. And now it's not like anyone can do it. I'm not even interested in watching anymore because of all that stuff.

Skating does take a lot of money and more negotiation of the politics. There are some interesting discussions about male skating this year trying to move away from the gay stereotype of skaters and giving preference to the butcher/more straight male skaters. So even if Johnny had skated the best program he would have likely been panned because he was not want the skating community wanted as their face of men's skating.

FORT Fogey

I understand all the politics and such. I don't understand about taking money for skating. Johnny does take money for skating. That is what I don't understand. And a number of the skaters do Stars on Ice and such.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3856507;
    There are some interesting discussions about male skating this year trying to move away from the gay stereotype of skaters and giving preference to the butcher/more straight male skaters.
    That was one of the most remarkable, although disturbing, parts of the film Pop Star on Ice. I could not believe the clips they ran and what those people were saying. Johnny came across as so honest and true by comparison, which is I'm sure one of the many reasons people love him. Why they allow commentators to be haters, and make obviously gay guys feel they need to force themselves into the closet is beyond me. So lame. Tsk tsk.

Btw, the Food Network's What Would Brian Boitano Make? has new episodes. Like Johnny, he is a very smart, funny, talented, entertaining, spirited and likable male skater. We love him, too.

I just wanted to come back and say that I loved every minute of this show. Johnny comes of as completely genuine and true to himself and that made his show an absolute pleasure to watch!! And that is on top of the fact that he is hilarious! After watching the season I wish I was his friend!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12