+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fans of Reality TV Interview with Star Dates Participant Robin Coleman

Fans of Reality TV Interview with Star Dates Participant Robin Coleman

Robin Coleman was featured on the reality dating show, Star Dates, which is still showing on E!. Robin had a date with Dustin Diamond, better known as Screech on the television show, Saved by the Bell. The recap of that program can be found here: Star Dates: Dustin Diamond Episode Recap

Robin and Dustin got along quite well during their date, and we are fortunate that Robin recently took the opportunity to respond to questions from our FORT writers.

FORT: Did you and Dustin get together again after the show? If so, how did that work out?
    Robin: No, we didn't. We'd wanted to meet for a drink after the wrap of the episode, but it was far too late by the time things ended. And, since he lives in WI and I live in CA, it's not feasible for any future dates.

FORT: What prompted you to go on the show?
    Robin: A casting notice I saw. I thought it might be good exposure for the acting career I'm working on. I was right!

FORT: Please describe the selection process to get on the show.
    Robin: A typical scenario - after the casting dept sorts thru the submitted headshots and resumes, you are greeted at the E! studios by a War and Peace
    length questionnaire and an on camera interview. They really try to get the nitty-gritty out of you! Things like "What’s the wildest sexual act you have ever participated in?” My answer? “If you get me drunk I MIGHT discuss this...but probably not. I don't drink that much.” They wanted to know who your childhood TV crushes were - I liked Three's Company, The Jefferson’s, Good Times, Mash....not a whole lot to work with. So I went with one of my favorite singers, Prince/TAFKAP, whatever he's going by now. I actually stood up and said "Now I know by looking at me you'd think I’d pick that little man up, throw him in my purse, and take HIM to dinner... but I outgrew him AFTER I had the crush."

FORT: How long were the dates in actual time?
    Robin: Mine was lengthy - we began at 3PM with the crew's set up at my house. I met Dustin probably around 5PM, and we taped until after Midnight.

FORT: Do you feel that the editors portrayed your date accurately? If not, what was different?
    Robin: Most definitely. I was lucky enough to be able to see part of the show as they were editing it the day i brought them extra video footage, (the strength feats I do in clips). The only thing they could have done differently is include the rest of the funny banter between us throughout the date, but that would have taken a full hour show! He's a funny guy, and I like to think I can keep up with him with the one liners.

FORT: You were shown laughing when you learned who your date would be. Had you watched Saved by the Bell? Did you think he was going to be annoying?
    Robin: As I said in the episode, I saw one episode when I was looking after a friend's kid, and I thought it was total crap. Of course it's the most popular syndicated show in TV history, so what do I know? I was laughing because I immediately had this
    70's genre trailer running thru my mind, like "SCREETCH AND THE STRONGWOMAN". I thought certainly some good would come from doing this show, as it just HAD to be funny! Oh, and NO he wasn't in the least bit annoying. He was quite engaging and a great conversationalist. He also helped me loosen up at dinner. It's not easy to be cool eating and conversing with a camera on a tripod set up in your face. You keep wondering how much spinach is going to be stuck in your front teeth.

FORT: What role did (the host) play on the show besides driving the car?
    Robin: Jordan - who is also a Groundling and was part of the reason I decided to enroll in the Groundlings Improv Comedy school, was just a riot. He interjected funny statements, and would be great to keep a conversation flowing, except we didn't have that problem! But he was a blast, and he's fantastic in the Groundling's performances too.

FORT: Did you know what you were going to do on the date before leaving?
    Robin: Yes, they told me we were going to my gym and then to dinner - but before they got to my house they just asked me to dress for something athletic, perhaps outdoors. Which is why I picked the white outfit. Would have much preferred begin in a normal cute outfit at the start. But the physics - defying shorts were fun.

FORT: Did you get a chance to shower between the workout and going to dinner?
    Robin: I MADE the chance. They didn't give me a timeframe, just told me I could go upstairs to the gym dressing room, so I took my time. I should have washed my hair though...it looked a bit strange between the workout and the humidity that day.

FORT: Did you both actually work out, or just do a couple exercises for the camera?
    Robin: We did work out, but it was more like a warm up set or two of each thing we did. When someone is new to lifting weights you can’t go wild unless you want to debilitate them. You have to teach them slowly. We were in the gym for a good while though. He even mentioned he'd like to get on a program while we were there. Our trainer, Alan Grimes, is a friend of mine from Gold's; that he was going to be with us was a total surprise!

FORT: Now that you have been through the show, are you happy with having participated? Would you do it again?
    Robin: Most definitely. I thought it was a very positive experience, and I've received some indie film offers from having done ths show. I even met the guy I'm dating currently because of the show! He recognized me, was ice breaker for a conversation!

FORT: You have a diverse background, what is next for you in your career?
    Robin: I really do have a diverse background - I leave no stone unturned. Life is so much more interesting that way! What is next? What I'm currently working on - acting classes, comedy classes, martial arts, dieting down to my bodybuilder incarnation, and preparing for some film roles I was lucky enough to be considered for. I may also step back on a bodybuilding stage in the future.

Also, getting www.robincoleman.com ready for it's unveiling - I've had an incomplete site up since I did the Worlds Strongest Woman in 2001, so I'm very excited about having an interactive site with photos, video, and stories/updates!

FORT: We appreciate your cooperation, and the manner in which you conducted yourself on the show. Is there anything else you might wish to add?
    Robin: Yes! First I'd like to thank E! for doing such an amazing job and producing such a fun segment. It's helped me immensely, and I truly appreciate their attention to detail. Keep on rerunning it, PLEASE!!! Then to Dustin, thank you for being such a sweet and wonderful date. He was so much fun to go out with, and said some really sweet
    things about me!

Finally, to the fans of reality TV, thank you for all of the wonderful (and two not so wonderful), emails. I found out - since the episode first aired 3 days before Xmas - that I inspired A LOT of folks to get up and get gym memberships. That is the best Xmas gift I've ever received; feeling like I inspired someone toward a healthy lifestyle!

Please stop by and check out the site www.robincoleman.com to keep up with what I do next!

FORT: Robin, we thank you for your time and consideration. Good luck to you in your career!

Email the interviewer at bill@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by Bill; 05-06-2003 at 01:21 PM.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Thanks to both of you for a great interview!

I really like that she had such positive things to say about the entire process. Justin did seem quite funny on the episode. I'm glad they had fun

I thought they looked rather cute together.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great job, Bill, and thanks to Robin for the interview! Good luck on the indie film projects!

www.robincoleman.com <-a quick-click, since the ones in the interview weren't clickable.

Great interview! Thanks to Bill and Robin.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Just a note, Robin's website will be all new and improved later this month.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread