+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Cooks in America

Re: Worst Cooks in America

There has to be more to this show than we are being shown. These people could not cook from the start and now in a few weeks are making homemade pasta. Something is just not right.
    There's no place like home!

I think Jen Vecchio will win the whole thing. Too bad both Jens won't be able to compete in the final, unless there's another team-changing twist before the final 2 are selected. I'd like to see Jenny Cross get the chance to go all the way.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I don't know why I continue to watch this show. [I did skip one week, but then came back to watch the train wreck.] I really don't like the format. It seems like it's less about teaching bad cooks to cook than about setting bad cooks up to fail. Why else would they have the contestants read a complicated recipe on a chalkboard, then erase the recipe. Sure, the contestants could have taken notes on it -- if they knew the recipe would be erased.

I'd like to see more real instruction. Maybe have two or three participatory lessons in skills they'll need for the next recipe. Viewers at home would learn more that way too. I'd get more enjoyment out of seeing the contestants grow than mess up.

I went to the web site and read some of the recipes. It is ridiculous to even think a person who cannot cook would even begin to understand what the recipe calls for. I spent some time reading them and there is no way in heck I would even attempt to cook some of them. Very difficult and very time consuming.
    There's no place like home!

I think we are not being shown alot. Show is going by too fast! And they are cooking things I can't make and I can cook!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fanatic

I like this show, but I can't stand Chef Anne. She seems like such a b**ch. She's very condescending. At least Chef Beau has words of encouragement and acts like he cares. Chef Anne just wants to show everyone that she knows more than they do.

FORT Fan

I just watched the first 3 episodes on demand. I'm not crazy about this format. They aren't teaching these people how to cook. They're trying to give them a crash course in "cuisine". When they go home will they know how to cook much of anything? Oooh they taught them how to make a pretty cross-hatch.

I would have liked this so much better if they set it up like a class to teach different cooking skills, and sure flavor too, and then had them cook a meal.

And what kind of "advantage" was that? The winning team gets the other team's best cook? Seriously? The players on these teams are competing against EACH OTHER, not against the other team. So the winning cook now has one more "good" cook as competition and the weakest competition goes to the other team. That's a disadvantage, not an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappymom;3813198;
    I just watched the first 3 episodes on demand. I'm not crazy about this format. They aren't teaching these people how to cook. They're trying to give them a crash course in "cuisine". When they go home will they know how to cook much of anything? Oooh they taught them how to make a pretty cross-hatch.

I would have liked this so much better if they set it up like a class to teach different cooking skills, and sure flavor too, and then had them cook a meal.

And what kind of "advantage" was that? The winning team gets the other team's best cook? Seriously? The players on these teams are competing against EACH OTHER, not against the other team. So the winning cook now has one more "good" cook as competition and the weakest competition goes to the other team. That's a disadvantage, not an advantage.
    I think an intense 7 to 10 day boot camp covering cooking terms, knife skills etc... everything the basic cook needs to know and then throw them into a competition would have benefited all of the contestants and would have been more fun to watch.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3813268;
    I think an intense 7 to 10 day boot camp covering cooking terms, knife skills etc... everything the basic cook needs to know and then throw them into a competition would have benefited all of the contestants and would have been more fun to watch.
    I agree completely. The way they set up this series was silly.

I still can't understand how a mother of four kids can't cook. So does the Dad cook or do they live on take-out and microwave foods?

There is cooking and then there is COOKING. It doesn't have to be that hard, given the number of books on the market (and info on the internet) on cooking easy meals.

I feel like they are going to go back home and be able to make several dishes but still not know the basics of cooking. I agree with posters that they should learn the basics techniques and recipes and later can expand on those. With four kids you need to make a good meatloaf or lasagna not necessarily prawns!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread