+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DESIGN INTERNS: New Competitive Show from HGTV

DESIGN INTERNS: New Competitive Show from HGTV

I don't know if enough people will watch to warrant a section thread for this show so I'm placing the description here. The website has more information as to the designers. I'm looking forward to it.

PREMIERS: Friday, January 1, 2010 4PM Eastern/3PM Central

About This Show

Design Interns offers an exclusive pass into the competitive world of interior design as 12 interior design graduates vie for a coveted spot at Cecconi Simone, a renowned interior design firm. Contestants tackle design-based challenges that they'll have to win to stay in the game, but only one will prove to be the next great interior designer.

Get details on the contenders including who dreams of winning an Oscar, who manufactured wallcoverings out of clothing and who designed a hotel on a private island.
    Design Interns : Home & Garden Television

THE CAST PHOTO:

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: DESIGN INTERNS: New Competitive Show from HGTV

I liked this one ... they not only did a teamwork project, they did an individual one to decide which of the losing team left. I like that approach much better than he said/she said. I'll be watching again!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Hi, mom2 - I'm glad someone else is watching! I finished viewing the first episode and here is the rundown and my impressions. This is the second season for the show but, I believe, the first time it has shown on HGTV.

REGULAR DATE AND TIME: Saturday at 10EST/9CST

Episode 1

This is a NARRATED interior design competition show based in Toronto, Canada. Young designers from around Canada were invited to audition for the prize position of a one year internship at the Cecconi-Simone design firm. It is similar to Apprentice in that there is a boardroom used for dismissals and those are presided over by the two principal partners in the firm, Elaine Cecconi and Anna Simone.

The competition lasts six weeks and will present six challenges all directed toward real clients. The first client is a high rise condo construction in Toronto. The first challenge is to make an opening presentation to the client using design renderings, floor plan and a scale model of a condo in the building.

Before they begin, Ms. Simone reminds the contestants that talent is not enough. They have to listen and pay attention to the client's needs.

The twelve who made the cut for the show are:

Supretha
    Bre
    Katie
    Stephanie
    Fires
    Angela
    Team A named for the first challenge.

Warren
    Karolina
    Maria
    Ali
    Richelle
    Karin
    Team B named for the first challenge.

Both teams are to design the same condo space and come up with their presentations in two days. After viewing the condo, they return to their studio which is located in the Ryerson University School of Interior Design building. Team A had the challenge of working with Katie who took the lead and didn't listen to or direct projects for the most efficient outcome. Team B did not have a leader and tried the approach where each person worked with their own strengths whether it was power point or model building.

In the end, neither the client nor their perspective employer was impressed with either of the presentations; but Team A was declared the winner (probably because they didn't argue with the client's comments as Ari did on Team B.)

Team B was invited to the boardroom while Team A celebrated with cocktails.

In the boardroom, each member was given the individual challenge of designing a LOGO for the condo building and show how it would be placed in the lobby as well as letterhead, etc.

Once all the logos were reviewed (misspellings and missing the mark were declared for a few of them by the partners) the boardroom was reconvened; this time with all 12 designers present.

Those dismissed were: Ali and Maria based on the logo design challenge.

The remaining 10 will duke it out in the next episode.

Watching them during the design process as they either tried or didn't try to work as a team was like watching any other design competition show whether Project Runway or Design Star. There was bickering and tears...hopefully they will also show some laughter and camaraderie in coming weeks.

I found the partners (Elaine and Anna) to be uber-professional and VERY demanding...as they should be. I enjoyed this show and will watch or DVR it again tonight (Saturday) at its regular scheduled time.

ETA: I noticed when I went to set the recording just now that the show was filmed in 2008. Canadian friends would have seen it on some channel in Canada the past three years while we are only getting to see it now. I'm glad HGTV imported it.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-02-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Wasn't planning on watching, then I caught the last bit of it and was pleasantly surprised. The moderators/hosts and general atmosphere was much more professional then I thought it would be. Makes Design Star look like kindergarten. I think I will catch the next episode.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

I missed the first few minutes and couldn't figure out why everyone had a Canadian accent!

Wow, those judges were TOUGH.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3782251;
    I missed the first few minutes and couldn't figure out why everyone had a Canadian accent!

Wow, those judges were TOUGH.
    I took a couple of interior design classes at the local community college and the prof used to work in Manhattan for a huge design firm and these ladies really reminded me of her.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Good show! I like that the challenges will be split among the different real-life types of clients the design firm works with such as developers, commercial, residential, etc., and I like that the concerns are real-life concerns such as functionality and client relations.

I'd appreciate it if the program introduced us to the work of the professional designers who are judging the contestants. The professionals come across as somewhat humorless but their criticisms are completely valid so they've earned their right to be humorless!

I loved the show. I think Design Star should take notes on the way they did the final individual challenge with the losing team.

This is what I always hated about team challenges, but having the losing team do individual mini-challenges solves that problem. Can't wait for the next episode come Saturday.

I liked the second episode just as much as the first. The 2 mentors/judges/whatever are absolutely perfect because they don't coddle them yet they are not mean, they are professional and have standards. I agree with them that none of the groups have performed well either time. Hopefully, they will weed out the less inspired quickly and we won't have to cringe at the next presentation.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Did anyone else wonder if the interns had ever been in a restaurant before? Or why, if they could research all that information about the chef, they couldn't look up what a "chef's table" was?

At the end, I loved the whole "not listening" thing. (Then again, I was watching with my 12yo and he has that same issue sometimes ;-) )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast