+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Sing-Off

Re: The Sing-Off

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3769148;
    OK bash me if yu want but the 10 minutes I watched this show I felt like I was at one of those really awful jr. high school assemblies that we had to sit through.
    Thants' another 10 minutes of my life that certain reality tv shows took from my life that I will never get back.
    Well, it is only for 3 more nights.....they winner will be decided on Thursday night.
    KAREN

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3768781;
    I thought for sure Voices of Lee was gone.
    I'm with you Unk! Voices of Lee were BAD. Face should have stayed.
    I really wasn't very much impressed with any of these groups... the SoCals who sang the Queen song weren't too bad though.
    NONE of these groups were as good as The Nylons. All of the groups seemed to have at least a few weak singers. I also wish more of them had changed up the lead mid song like they do on Glee.
    Last edited by jmb; 12-15-2009 at 01:59 PM.

My 2 cents-- the girl group (blond moused up hair girl in it) were SHRILL. I wanted to like them, but it was actually painful to listen to as it went along. I felt sure they would go. I'm not looking forward to more from them.
    The guy group who sang Bon Jovi were good--- surprised and disappointed they got booted. I dont understand that one yet.
    The group who left last who said they'd only been together 12 or 13 weeks puzzled me. I thought they were bad, voices not exceptional and didn't blend well. I thought at the beginning of the show they said they'd searched all across America to find the best of the groups--- yet here's a group who've only been together a few weeks... Odd. I wonder if Anoop's college group was considered? (or maybe the 'bubs are so much like them they went that way)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3769148;
    OK bash me if yu want but the 10 minutes I watched this show I felt like I was at one of those really awful jr. high school assemblies that we had to sit through.
    Thants' another 10 minutes of my life that certain reality tv shows took from my life that I will never get back.

OK,

Consider yourself bashed.

Apologies offered if my bashing was excessive... Once may have been enough.

Just an update - the show airs Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday this week with the finale next Monday, December 21st.

I liked it but thought they stretched it out a bit. I too, am disappointed that FACE got the boot.

For fun, here's the bios for the remaining groups. There's some stuff that wasn't mentioned on the air.

Beelzebubs, from Medford, Massachusetts. Originally formed in 1962 by a group of Tufts men in the basement of West Hall, they named themselves "Jumbo's Disciples: The Beelzebubs," a reference from John Milton's epic poem, "Paradise Lost." Throughout the next few decades and into the new millennium, the Bubs have continued to develop their style while also performing some music from the group's past. To date, the Bubs have recorded 25 studio and three live albums and have won several awards for performing and recording. They also boast an active alumni association whose foundation raises funds for music in Boston's public schools. Not only is this group rich in history, they have grown into a "hip," good-looking group of men whose new motto is "fun through song." This all-male group of 12 is ready to enter The Sing-Off stage!

Maxx Factor, from Baltimore, Maryland. These super moms effortlessly balance family life with their love of music. According to this all-female quartet, they "do a style that very few women groups do -- we go out there and prove that a women quartet can kick butt." The women's group has performed regionally and internationally and recently became the 2009 National Harmony Sweepstakes Champions. This fabulous quartet has also won the 2009 Mid Atlantic Harmony Sweepstakes and they are the 2010 Sweet Adelines International Third Place Medalists. These ladies are ready to show the world their incredible talents!

Voices of Lee, from Cleveland, Tennessee and Lee University. This very religious co-ed group of 10 is characterized by their unique variety of vocal harmonies, high-energy patriotic numbers, fun-filled audience participation, and heart-felt gospel favorites. The group debuted in September 1994 and has appeared on Good Morning America, Bill Gaither's Familyfest, and Praise Gathering, and has sung in the Christ Church of Nashville. They have traveled from Ontario to Israel and now are ready to grace the stage of The Sing-Off.

The SoCals, from Los Angeles, California. This group is composed of both alumni and current members of The SoCal VoCals, the premiere a cappella group at USC. The SoCals have been redefining a cappella in a way that can only be done in Southern California. This co-ed group of eight pride themselves on singing music from any genre, by any artist. From jazz to rock, The SoCals are ready to rock The Sing-Off stage.

BYU Noteworthy, from Provo, Utah. This all-female group of nine is based out of Provo, Utah and seek to uplift all those that hear and see them sing. They have produced highly acclaimed recordings and have toured throughout the United States. In addition to their accomplishments, they have won the 2007 International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, and it's no surprise that this nine-voice ensemble has quickly become one of the most popular a cappella groups in the country.

Nota, from San Juan, Puerto Rico. This all-male sextet met in college and have been sharing their passion for music ever since. Although they grew up in Puerto Rico with Spanish as their first language, the guys have been exposed to many American groups and have been inspired by some, such as Boys II Men. They bring imagination, passion, and integrity to their artistry and focus on passionate Latin musical roots while adding different styles like R&B, pop, and fusion jazz.

Thanks for the info daddyzgirl ! I just tuned in for the second half here after the final competition on SYTYCD, and Noteworthy was singing "Hold On." They actually weren't half bad....not near as shrill as last night (Thank God!). And the girl that does the mouth drum was really good I thought. Voices of Lee again. Still not impressed. They should have kept Face
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Does Gap supply the outfits for these groups? I swear this seems like 2 hours of Gap commercials.

YouTube - Go Ho Ho - Gap 2009 Holiday Commercial

Voices of Lee makes it again. Urf. Well, I didn't see the first performance by Noteworthy, but I enjoyed the Wilson Philips song...and their swan song. They were for sure better than last night.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

The first half of the show was much better than the second half!

at the Gap commercial comment! "I love my comfy sweater.. how cute are these boots?"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I tried to watch this show. But, it was just too bad. I agree with sitting through the school programs where you wish you could just watch your kid and leave, but you're stuck for 2 hours of pain!

+ Reply to Thread