+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Sing-Off

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The Sing-Off

And now, Groove For Thought, sings their way off into the sunset.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

cha

Thanks prhoshay, less than one hour to wait for the west coast.

I have never watched this show before, but I tuned in tonight after hearing some good comments. WOW! I was really impressed!! My faves were the renditions of Creep and Love Shack.

FORT Fogey

I don't crush on celebrities or musicians, but I have to make an exception for Street Corner Symphony. Love everything about them. I haven't voted for any reality show contestant in a long time, but I will be voting for them - assuming they get that far (and I think they will).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;4123056;
    WoW! The judges in Sing Off are better than the ones in American Idol it's not even funny.
    I love this show - so much talent! And Ben Folds beats the pants off any judge on Idol (Simon possibly excepted). He knows music, but he also knows how to talk about it in a way the lay person can understand. He is fair, but never overly effusive or cutting. It's Idol's loss that they didn't snap him up and instead went for big celebrities with dubious verbal skills.

Highlights for me:
    • On The Rocks – Kyrie by Mr. Mister - Wow - they captured and improved on the anthemic quality of the original. The lead singer sang the crap out of that, and the arrangement was first rate.
    • Groove For Thought – You Make My Dreams by Hall and Oats - I love these guys (and now they're gone!) Their jazz roots are in the arrangements and harmonies that Gene Puerling wrote for Singers Unlimited in the 1970's. Manhattan Transfer and later Take Six both built on Puerling's foundation. These folks are carrying on the tradition.
    • Committed – Every Breath You Take by the Police - Unbelievably complicated arrangement - that sounds deceptively simple. I don't care if it's not "rock" - I enjoyed it. (I only take a few points off because they missed the creepy stalker undertone of the lyric - but maybe that's just not in their nature.)
    • Group song: 21 Guns by Green Day - My jaw was on the floor watching this opening number with all the groups. You see, I'm used to all those cheesy group songs on American Idol. This was like hearing heaven open up. The time that must have gone in to arranging, choreographing, and rehearsing that number!

Street Corner Symphony has a great lead singer, but I don't like the group as well as the others. Talk of the Town is good - but old-fashioned and limited. I expect to see them leave in the coming week.

I hope this show keeps coming back. Also, the show's NBC site has links to iTunes where you can buy the songs.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 12-14-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4126151;
    I don't crush on celebrities or musicians, but I have to make an exception for Street Corner Symphony. Love everything about them. I haven't voted for any reality show contestant in a long time, but I will be voting for them - assuming they get that far (and I think they will).
    I have been watching their rendition of "Creep" over and over and over again today. I'd never heard the song before, but it really grabbed me, as did the lead singer's performance. I think the rest of the guys in the group do a fine job, but agree that the lead (Jeremy?) could probably be successful on his own.

I also agree that the judges are a breath of fresh air. They're polite and respectful, but still honest without being harsh. And they still come up with a witty comment from time to time.

like the show, but I was a little let down by last night's episode. Part of it, in fairness, is that I loathe a few of the songs so very much -- like Come on Eileen and Love Shack, both of which were "Hootie'd" before anyone knew that term meant -- that they could have been sung by Nicole Scherzinger and the rest of the Pussycat Dolls lying on my bed while trying to seduce me, and I still wouldn't have been on board. I guess some people's guilty pleasures are other people's nails on a chalkboard, but I just was not down with it at all.

Am hoping for a bounceback tomorrow, though!

First time watching, and honestly started watching cause I heard Nicole was judging. Been a fan of hers ever since DWTS and she's a great judge. Always so positive and gives positive criticism. Really like this show and the format of it!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4126151;
    I also really love Street Corner Symphony!

I loved The Backbeats performance of "Love Shack" - it was nice to hear some of the other members sing this time around. I also thought their choreography was adorable.

+ Reply to Thread