+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet the Natives

Meet the Natives

Anybody watching this on The Travel Channel? Love it.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fan

Re: Meet the Natives

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing that the Travel Channel has aired in forever! I want it to be far more than the 5 episodes that are advertised. Did a quick check, and apparently there's also a UK version?

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930;3764992;
    As far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing that the Travel Channel has aired in forever! I want it to be far more than the 5 episodes that are advertised. Did a quick check, and apparently there's also a UK version?
    Ooh. Hope it's on Netflix. My favorite moment of this season:

Happy tribesman to old Montana cowboy: "I love you."
    Cowboy: Pause. "I love you too."
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fan

Definitely the Montana episode was heart touching. Bunny the Wasp not so much - her response to one of the natives at the ATM was frustrating. She doesn't know where the money comes from? How about it coming from your bank account?

Sometimes I feel so sad when one of the natives asks that we help to mitigate the effects of global warning and its effects on their island.

And I really really hope that the producers have done their homework and found Tom Navy for them. It would just be too disappointing if they didn't even try.

Love this show! I live about an hour away from Peoria, IL which was featured last week.
    My favorite scene so far was when they were in New York and they saw a squirrel for the first time:
    ' Look at that rat!' I thought that was so funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930;3765626;
    Definitely the Montana episode was heart touching. Bunny the Wasp not so much - her response to one of the natives at the ATM was frustrating. She doesn't know where the money comes from? How about it coming from your bank account?

Sometimes I feel so sad when one of the natives asks that we help to mitigate the effects of global warning and its effects on their island.

And I really really hope that the producers have done their homework and found Tom Navy for them. It would just be too disappointing if they didn't even try.
    I was thinking "Tom Navy" was some guy named Tom who was in the Navy. But isn't it fascinating how he's become part of their folklore? And more important, how his words so profoundly changed the tribe's culture. I think the chief mentioned that they've lived in peace since his visit in World War II.

Loved the Peoria episode, especially the men's interactions with the special needs children. (Although I wanted to jump through the TV to teach the family how to roast a turkey. In a bag in a countertop cooker? Really?)

I even liked the WASPs of New York. Despite Bunny's wealth (I think she comes from old money), she seemed to genuinely want to share and to understand the cultural differences.

I think the insufferable hosts might be the Orange County family. Judging from just the teaser, they seem as incurious, superficial and materialistic as the people from Real Housewives. The daughter isn't off to a good start by asking how to say "sexy" in their language. Next she'll be asking them if they want to get manis and pedis.

FORT Fan

I was thinking "Tom Navy" was some guy named Tom who was in the Navy
    That's definitely it - I hope they went through military records and contacted guys named Tom who served on that island. Surely the real Tom would remember them - I hope he's still alive. And found.

FORT Fogey

I just happened to watch part of the Peoria episode, and the OC episode. The Travel Channel was running a marathon, I think. I DVRed the other episodes. What an enlightening show this is to watch. Really am enjoying it. A few laughs, too, like when they saw the clothes for the dogs - "How does a dog put his hand in his pocket?" And lots of wise, and spiritual moments, too. Loved it when the Chief was asked if he wanted a facial that would make him look 10 years younger, and he replied he would rather live 10 years longer. Saw a clip where they were discussing homeless people - I think it might have been the NY episode? I think my DVR is set to record it. Hope so. The Tom Navy story was very moving. What a great series.

FORT Fan

I'd been dreading the OC episode and instead found myself really liking the host family. Despite the superficialities of the spa visit, the botox party, etc., they were grounded and likeable. Good job!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930;3768990;
    I'd been dreading the OC episode and instead found myself really liking the host family.
    I really liked the father. He was really gracious, kind, humble, and seemed the most genuine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast