+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Storm Chasers: Discovery Channel

Storm Chasers: Discovery Channel

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in other reality. It's more of a documentary of the chasers so I'm thinking here?

I'm obsessed with this show and have been ever since it first aired last year, this is the second season and was curious if anybody else has watched it?

If you can catch it on re-runs, watch it! It's great, the editing and the chasers are really great and it's breath taking seeing the power of nature.

I can't stand the IMAX guy, Sean Casey, he makes me want to hurt something every time they show him on the screen. He actually asked if the other chaser had "died" when told he'd intercepted a monster tornado. Sorry but I thought that was completely out of line, regardless of how much you dislike somebody or are jealous of their success rate.

Anyways.....

Love the TVN guys of Chris and Reed.

Love the TWISTEX guys of Tim and Carl (who is the ultimate straight guy, he cracks me up with his deliveries).

Just an overall awesome show, wish they would show more of Josh and less of Sean.

Information on the show from the Discovery site. LINK

In 2009, the Storm Chasers returned with even more pursuit firepower. Reed Timmer jacked up his prime chase vehicle, christened the SRV Dominator, with armor and new cutting-edge instrumentation. The TIV Crew led by Sean Casey fielded the next generation Tornado Intercept Vehicle running in top condition with a new camera turret and a lighter, faster chassis. Plus, three new vehicles have been added including Tim Samaras and his Team Twistex, the TIV Doghouse and a new 2009 Jeep for the intrepid SCOUT Team.
    It looks like you can catch the videos on the site.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Storm Chasers: Discovery Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3759599;
    Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in other reality. It's more of a documentary of the chasers so I'm thinking here?

I'm obsessed with this show and have been ever since it first aired last year, this is the second season and was curious if anybody else has watched it?

If you can catch it on re-runs, watch it! It's great, the editing and the chasers are really great and it's breath taking seeing the power of nature.

I can't stand the IMAX guy, Sean Casey, he makes me want to hurt something every time they show him on the screen. He actually asked if the other chaser had "died" when told he'd intercepted a monster tornado. Sorry but I thought that was completely out of line, regardless of how much you dislike somebody or are jealous of their success rate.

Anyways.....

Love the TVN guys of Chris and Reed.

Love the TWISTEX guys of Tim and Carl (who is the ultimate straight guy, he cracks me up with his deliveries).

Just an overall awesome show, wish they would show more of Josh and less of Sean.

Information on the show from the Discovery site. LINK

It looks like you can catch the videos on the site.
    We LOVE this show at my house-- I think my daughter is fascinated b/c we get lots of tornado warnings here and by watching the show, it's one of those if she learns more about it then it's less scary type of things? IDK. For me, the more I see, the more freaked out I get since the guys always seem to get really excited when a Tornado Warning goes out and, like I said, we get lots of those here!

Anyways, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only 1 who dislikes Sean and the things he says. When he talked about having a rifle when Reed drove by, I was really annoyed! Heck, they bleep all the s**t swears, so why not just bleep Sean out?? That guy is wound up so tight!!

I think Tim is great and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when he checked on Reed's eyes after the glass broke in his car,
    I could tell he must have kids. He just seems very respectful of everyone and a total team player.

Reed...this guy is just INSANE! He's more than a little stuck on himself (that laugh--yikes!) but I guess after this past episode, he deserves a little bit of glory.

I'm bummed the season is over but at least we've got the last 2 episodes to watch again tonight with the kids!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

My husband (who lived in Kansas for about 10 years) loves this show and yes, I do watch it with him. The season went by way too fast.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I agree, I wish it lasted longer than roughly 10 episodes.

I did a little digging around at the website and found out the reason why we will probably never get rid of the annoying and ill-mannered IMAX jerk. His drive, Ronan, is the guy who pitched the idea to Discovery and who is listed as the executive producer of the show!

Him and the other guy that ride around with Sean are the only reason why I don't FF through every scene with Sean in it. Their faces are so expressive they crack me up!

It was nice in the second half of the season finale to have no Sean. I really liked the pace and mood of the show with only Tim and Reed in it and their crews. I wish Joel hadn't left the team.

cantstopwatchin: You aren't the only one who can't stand Sean. Every body in my house thinks he is an awful person and pretty much gets disgusted with everything that comes out of his mouth.

Tonight is the tribute to meteorologist Matthew John Hughes who passed away this May, if anybody watches this show you won't want to miss it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4097598;
    Tonight is the tribute to meteorologist Matthew John Hughes who passed away this May, if anybody watches this show you won't want to miss it.
    OMG....such a sad, sad episode to watch. I am reading some rumors around the interent that Matt suffered with severe depression and killed himself right after that epi was filmed ... omg, how horribly sad.
    KAREN

It's not really rumors. When it first happened in May (shortly after Byron left the team), it was reported that he attempted suicide and died from the injuries due to that, then they smothered those reports because they wanted to protect his small children and out of respect for his family.

It's been very difficult watching this season and seeing him and knowing he is gone, it's also been hard hearing people blaming Sean for it. While I can't stand Sean, I would never lay somebody's suicide at his feet. The man is probably second guessing everything he's done and said and is suffering right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4098473;
    It's not really rumors. When it first happened in May (shortly after Byron left the team), it was reported that he attempted suicide and died from the injuries due to that, then they smothered those reports because they wanted to protect his small children and out of respect for his family.

It's been very difficult watching this season and seeing him and knowing he is gone, it's also been hard hearing people blaming Sean for it. While I can't stand Sean, I would never lay somebody's suicide at his feet. The man is probably second guessing everything he's done and said and is suffering right now.
    OMG, ITA, while I cannot stand Sean AT ALL ... I have been reading that Matt had his own 'demons' and that he suffered with depression for quite a long time not getting the help he needed.
    Next week's epi looks very sad as well as they all find out about Matt.
    KAREN

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4098473;

We didn't know about it beforehand and just watched the episode tonight. So, so sad. When I dug online and found out what happened in May, I hoped we wouldn't see anything that Sean did that would've rocked the boat. And we didn't. I can't see how any could blame him. From what I saw, Matt had a great day that day and then stuff happened. I read a quote from a friend and former colleague that it was due to an accumulation of issues at home. Whatever it was, I guess it was too much for him to handle.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

It was mind boggling for me to see him going from that incredible high (Sean finally trusted him enough to let him lead and he delivered big time without any outside help, not even from the doghouse) and then the very next weekend, he's so down that he does that? Just blows my mind.

I watched it with my 7-year old, he's a major fan of this show and he didn't realize what was going on till the very end "Mom, is that guy dead? Why?" It was a good opportunity (that I've been looking for since statistics say that while girls attempt suicide more often, it is the boys who are more successful at accomplishing it) to discuss suicide with him. So we had a long talk about what do you do when you are feeling overwhelmed and sad, tied that in with weather patterns/cycles and how a person who is truly happy understands that not everything will be happy/perfect and they learn to look for the good hidden within the bad cycles.

I wish somebody had helped Matt figure that out when he was a young kid, he may still be with us now (I also told him it's not a sign of weakness or shame when you realize you are in over your head and go get help).

Hopefully other parents did the same and Matt's passing can help somebody later on in life because of the "talks" about suicide.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast