+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

Re: Dr Drew and Celebrity Sex Addiction Rehab

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3760158;
    I don't think James is "mean" or "evil." I think he's just not the brightest guy. Not at all excusing his behavior, but I think he's operating on a much lower intellegence level than others. What he said was truly reprehensible, and the sad thing is that he probably won't ever "get" it. I, also, think there's something "there" with his hearing problems that they've brought up on occassion. It seems to really be affecting his social skills. Again, not trying to excuse the guy. He has some major problems.

Someone mentioned Phil being a "peacekeeper." I don't think he was doing anything wrong. I don't believe he was trying to "smooth it over." He seems to be a good guy, and I think he knows James isn't the brightest bulb, and I think he was concerned for him, but not at all excusing James behavior. I'm not a therapist, but that's my opinion.
    Addicts take on different roles in their day to day life. While being a peace keeper isn't inherently bad it is for an addict who wants to keep the peace. It's an all around sickness. So Phil taking that role and trying to keep the peace between the group and James ends up hurting himself and his recovery as well. People who continually take this role in their lives end up pretty unhappy and are able to justify a lot of behavior as long as it keeps the peace. They also tend to become enablers because it's easier to enable and keep the peace than it is to rock the boat and deal with conflict head on. It's really hard to see all this stuff when they don't really touch on the problems these roles can play in people's lives which would be more of a worthwhile show.

I watch this show from a different view point though. I see it through a clinical lens.

Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

Thanks for changing the thread title!! I found what James did to be so disgusting and not funny in any way. I don't care if the woman is a hooker, saying you want to rape someone is not funny in any way. Just because someone has sex for a living doesn't mean they want to be violated.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I agree buglover. I also don't care how dense he is. There is right and there is wrong and regardless of density people are able to recognize right and wrong. The victim blaming indicates to me that he is not really aware of it being wrong. Since they didn't deal with it this episode I hope in real life he had some one on one time with some therapist to address this issue immediately after it came to light.

FORT Fogey

There's a difference between being dense and level of IQ. I think I might ask my sister to educate me on addiction, and the behaviors some people take on. She is a professional therapist, and loves to educate people in a really non-abrasive manner. I do think James seems to be someone operating on a lower intelligence level, but in case I wasn't clear, it was absolutely an inappropriate, and horrible, horrible thing to say to anyone. I agree with you too, buglover.
    Last edited by daiseyo; 12-01-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: agreeing with buglover

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3760503;
    There's a difference between being dense and level of IQ. I think I might ask my sister to educate me on addiction, and the behaviors some people take on. She is a professional therapist, and loves to educate people in a really non-abrasive manner. I do think James seems to be someone operating on a lower intelligence level, but in case I wasn't clear, it was absolutely an inappropriate, and horrible, horrible thing to say to anyone. I agree with you too, buglover.
    Therapists aren't always the best people to talk to about addiction. You should talk to someone who is a drug/alcohol counselor specifically and trained in specifically that. They have much more insight into the workings of an addict and the roles they take on. While therapists deal with addicted people, dealing with addictions is out of their scope of practice unless they were specifically trained and licensed in that kind of counseling.

I have seen more than one therapist make a glorious mess out of an addict when they thought they knew what they were doing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3760803;
    Therapists aren't always the best people to talk to about addiction. You should talk to someone who is a drug/alcohol counselor specifically and trained in specifically that. They have much more insight into the workings of an addict and the roles they take on. While therapists deal with addicted people, dealing with addictions is out of their scope of practice unless they were specifically trained and licensed in that kind of counseling.

I have seen more than one therapist make a glorious mess out of an addict when they thought they knew what they were doing.
    My sister is a licensed therapist with experience and training in the area of addiction, although not specifically. Whomever I learn from will be someone who enjoys educating in a non-abrasive style.

old cow

Ok so i've finally caught up on the episodes and here's my take on this Jame's issue:

Yea what he said was really, really dumb! His behaviour was immature and stupid and he probably should be punished in some sort of way.

BUT i do believe he didnt mean anything really mean by it. The way he explained things to Phil he really did just want to make her smile (in his mind). It wasnt like he wasnt trying to crush her soul or make her feel like a vicitim again. In no way am i defending him but i do feel kinda bad for the kid because that is really what he is...a kid in this adult body and since he's never experienced rape i just dont think he realized the impact of his words. And i can understand the wolves circling in on the kill mentality that has formed in the group is probably confusing & scary to him.

Im unsure of the solutions to this problem. Obviously you cant simply say to Jennifer forgive him b/c he screwed up but idk, maybe some discussion with just Jennifer, James, and the counselers will help instead of everybody else putting their 2 cents in as well...

old cow

Forgot to mention, it was nice to see Kari Ann really open up about her issues and the crap she's dealing with. Its easy for us (and people in the group) to critize her for her behaviour and such but what we forget is that she is going threw some serious s*** as well and she is detoxing just like everyone else.

Having said that is kinda sad and a shame to see the previews for next week and see her take 2 steps back and loose it with the nurse there. I actually really started to like her this past episode and really got emotional over her past...please dont make me hate you again Kari Ann!!!!!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3762645;
    Ok so i've finally caught up on the episodes and here's my take on this Jame's issue:

Yea what he said was really, really dumb! His behaviour was immature and stupid and he probably should be punished in some sort of way.

BUT i do believe he didnt mean anything really mean by it. The way he explained things to Phil he really did just want to make her smile (in his mind). It wasnt like he wasnt trying to crush her soul or make her feel like a vicitim again. In no way am i defending him but i do feel kinda bad for the kid because that is really what he is...a kid in this adult body and since he's never experienced rape i just dont think he realized the impact of his words. And i can understand the wolves circling in on the kill mentality that has formed in the group is probably confusing & scary to him.

Im unsure of the solutions to this problem. Obviously you cant simply say to Jennifer forgive him b/c he screwed up but idk, maybe some discussion with just Jennifer, James, and the counselers will help instead of everybody else putting their 2 cents in as well...

I don't know that he hasn't experienced rape. And he did tell Phil that several other women have threatened to do the same thing to him - and my take on that is this is not his first comment on raping someone.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3762687;
    I don't know that he hasn't experienced rape. And he did tell Phil that several other women have threatened to do the same thing to him - and my take on that is this is not his first comment on raping someone.
    Yea after i typed that i started thinking that maybe he had, i just couldnt really remember. Sometimes im just really at a loss with James. So quiet and not really wanting to communicate with anyone this one is so who knows what is really going on with him. But going by his floored expression when Jennifer revealed her feelings in group and what he said to Phil i just don't really feel he meant serious, hurtful harm to her.

+ Reply to Thread