+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

Re: Dr Drew and Celebrity Sex Addiction Rehab

I'm not arguing that she's not seriously screwed up. I'm arguing that she is not serious about getting rid of this particular addiction and she and her handlers are not stupid. They all saw that she went from basically a nobody to somebody with a name on these shows. No publicity is bad publicity. She's an aging model with little else to fall back on than being an "actress."

The reality with many addicts, especially women, is they have a huge litany of problems. Which is why the reality is 28 day treatment isn't really effective since you don't really have time to tap into that stuff. I have argued on here in the past as well that this particular rehab set up is not wholly therapeutic. It's interesting to watch. It's informative for people who have no experience in this but on a whole it's not the best/most therapeutic environment. It's a TV show. It's Dr. Drew making a buck.

She could easily address these problems in any number of facilities/forums, but chooses to use this TV show. Moreover, she goes on other TV shows and basically states she has not addressed her stalking issue.

I watch this show for entertainment purposes only. I don't watch it as any representation of what solid treatment looks like. Nor do I watch it thinking the participants in any of these shows are there for the purest of reasons and have no ulterior motives.

I totally see your point of view and value it especially because of your knowledge in the area. I see it from a purely sympathetic view because I've had the opportunity to encounter someone (a co-worker and now a great friend of mine) who dealt with multiple addictions and was able to overcome them but not in a setting as these shows provide. They went away-no family visits, no co-mingling of the sexes. She said the co-mingling is dangereous. They jokingly call it the 13th step-hooking up with another addict while newly working their program. She overcame child neglect, sexual abuse, alcohol abuse, substance abuse,sex addiction, gambling addiction and co dependency. To look at her you would never guess it. I forgot how long she said she was away but it was for more than a year(something like 16 months)! She still attends many AA type meetings weekly to keep things in check even though she's been sober for a number of years.Hearing just a few of her stories really makes me feel for people who struggle. How she seems so together and yet tells me she still has those moments where she truly struggles. How she says the threat of some sort of relapse is a constant in her life. It seems as if they have to be so aware of every thing and every emotion they encounter. It must be overwhelming for the newly sober to tackle all of that and not feel totally vulnerable to slipping. So that's why I feel for people like Amber. It must be so much easier to trust the judgement of others than your own when you are still engulfed in madness. Problem is the judgement of others may not be what serves you best in the end.

No doubt Dr. Drew is making money from these shows, but he or the producers do offer aftercare for the people who want it. When Jenny was on Oprah she mentioned she was still seeing Jill, the therapist who is sitting in on all the group/individual sessions.

FORT Fogey

I had previously posted that I had seen Kari Ann on Howard TV On Demand, and she made allegations that a nurse had hit her, and had been fired. I had wondered if it involved Selma (the Tech), since they showed the two of them in conflict numerous times. I was thinking Kari Ann may have been exaggerating the situation, but WOW... did you all see the previews? Selma goes after Kari Ann very aggressively, and yanks her hair (extensions), and pushes her forward. Just prior to that, they showed Kara Ann knocking something (a vase?) in Selma's direction, but oh my gosh... I was literally shocked when I saw Selma lose it. WOW.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I was shocked too. But dang.....I can't say I blame her Kari Ann is such a brat. BUT....I was glad she finally started to open up on tonights episode. Its a start.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3759105;
    I honestly don't see Amber as making a career out of these shows. I see her as a seriously screwed up woman who has so many addictive behaviors that she can't find a way to let go of one without sinking further into another. She has that mom of hers who even as she was sending her out to sex rehab on day one was advising her to wear something that Amber herself described as making her look like a hooker. She's got some of the worse daddy issues you've ever seen. Seems like she's built up this fantasy in her mind that if daddy had stayed around her horrid mom would not have had the type of impact that she had on her. The woman is a substance abusing, alcoholic, co dependent sex addict. Give the average person just one of those things to overcome and it may take a year or it may never happen. Give a person that litany of addictions and it's going to take more than what these tv shows have to offer her. Somewhere in there she has to find her self worth. That's something that she lacks more than any of the others I've ever seen on these shows. It's sad to watch actually. She seems to have a genuinely low opinion of herself. We rarely, if ever, get a glimpse of actual self esteem from her.
    Everythinjg you jsut said you said beautifully. And perfectly. I was trying so hard to find the right words to describe how I feel about Amber and her life story so far.
    Honestly, i think she's amazingly strong. When she talked about how some kids telling he rshe looked like aboy and how that affected her, I understand how powerful that is. There are women who are genuinely beautiful, physically, but when asked ot look in a mirror they do not have the ability to see how they actually look. But, what complicates things for her, is having the guys `ooh and ahh' over her looks and her body , because that reinforces in her mind that she's only good for one thing and that she isn't smart or intelectual.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3759171;
    I totally see your point of view and value it especially because of your knowledge in the area. I see it from a purely sympathetic view because I've had the opportunity to encounter someone (a co-worker and now a great friend of mine) who dealt with multiple addictions and was able to overcome them but not in a setting as these shows provide. They went away-no family visits, no co-mingling of the sexes. She said the co-mingling is dangereous. They jokingly call it the 13th step-hooking up with another addict while newly working their program. She overcame child neglect, sexual abuse, alcohol abuse, substance abuse,sex addiction, gambling addiction and co dependency. To look at her you would never guess it. I forgot how long she said she was away but it was for more than a year(something like 16 months)! She still attends many AA type meetings weekly to keep things in check even though she's been sober for a number of years.Hearing just a few of her stories really makes me feel for people who struggle. How she seems so together and yet tells me she still has those moments where she truly struggles. How she says the threat of some sort of relapse is a constant in her life. It seems as if they have to be so aware of every thing and every emotion they encounter. It must be overwhelming for the newly sober to tackle all of that and not feel totally vulnerable to slipping. So that's why I feel for people like Amber. It must be so much easier to trust the judgement of others than your own when you are still engulfed in madness. Problem is the judgement of others may not be what serves you best in the end.
    Comingling is really dangerous. Even in drug treatment it's fraught with peril. And in my experience it's really bad when you get women in there with multiple issues who know how to cope by using their sexuality or who get attention with their sexuality. And, sadly, that's the reality of many women addicts.

And it gets trickier because if you do short treatments like Dr. Drew does on his shows you don't really want to even open up some of those areas like rape and molestation because you just open it up and send people away and you are setting them up for a relapse. Which is why these short treatments don't do people much justice especially seriously addicted people with other issues. You can't even start to tackle them. And he detoxes while they're in treatment and you can't do good treatment if you're detoxing either. So depending on the drug some of these people never actually get any good solid treatment into them.

Granted with this batch the detoxing isn't the same. Most sex addicts going to 12 step meetings as well and don't comingle with the gender they prefer to be with as it is setting them up for relapse. And when looking for sponsors and good friends they start with the people they're not sexually attracted too. Amber's going to have a hard time because her issue isn't sexual. It's stalking so her problem doesn't even really belong in this treatment setting in general but in some serious one on one therapy.

FORT Fogey

Has Amber told us anything about a childhod sexual trauma? I recall her talking about the problems that have surfaced as an adult....but I don't recall anything about the cause if this all. Knowing that the mother put her out for money when she was older, you have to wonder if that happened even earlier to Amber.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Am I the only one who is totally pissed off that James got away with saying what he did? How is it acceptable to say you want to rape the s*** out of someone - and that someone gets blamed because she didn't have the right boundaries? Does she have to say specifically that she doesn't want him to rape her? Just wondering in case I have to put anyone on notice.

I totally agree with you J.D. On what planet is saying you want to rape someone flirting and not a threat of violence? And did you also notice how he is freaked out because she said she would cut a vital part of his anatomy, but missed the part where she said "... if he tried to rape me."

+ Reply to Thread