+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

FORT Fogey

Re: Dr Drew and Celebrity Sex Addiction Rehab

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3756189;
    I caught just half of the O. Show and am in total agreement about how great Jennie looked and spoke. I did like Amber but was not aware until this show that her father was a famous football player. I wondered where she got her looks since her mother looked nothing like Amber. Apparently Amber has found a second career being on Dr Drew shows...this is her third LOL
    Oh, I think Amber looks a lot like her mom. Granted her mom has aged (like we all do), and has an "old fashioned" style and appearance, but I see a lot of resemblance. From what I remember, they have the same eyes, and mouth. I remember Amber mentioning her father was a football player on one of the rehab shows (and again on Oprah), but I don't know if she mentioned he was "famous?" I don't know why, but I didn't get the impression he was "famous." Could just be my interpretation, though.

causingcaos - I can see how Amber might "rub people the wrong way, but I think she really is a lost little girl. Really sad. Sometimes I think she isn't on these shows for the "right" reason, but other times I really do think she's trying the best she can/doing the best she knows how. I couldn't believe her honesty on the Oprah show - she mentioned being obsessed with a guy for 13 years, after just being with him a couple of times, another guy she was obsessed with for 3 years, and the fact that she has never been in a relationship; never had a boyfriend, and she is 38 years old. I really respected her honesty.

FORT Fogey

I keep going back and forth on this, but I can't help but wonder if Amber and Phil have thought about dating. Phil is always mentioning how blown away he is by Amber, and since Amber hasn't ever had a real relationship, I keep wondering if they have thought about dating. If you are in recovery I don't think you are supposed to date another person who is also in recovery, but part of me thinks they might be a good match for one another. Phil seems like a "good guy," and seems like he would probably treat her really well. That would be nice for Amber, but Amber might not want someone who wants her. I think she might only be attracted to someone who doesn't want her. Has anyone else thought about this? I think I'm already answering my own question - that it probably isn't a good idea - but I can't help but think they might be a good match.

Amber and Phil should never hook up having been in recovery together and still going through recovery especially if her issue isn't sex but her obsession about men in general. It would be a really unhealthy relationship. She should stay away from the relationship stuff for a while until she can get over this obsessing stuff (which from how she sounded oh Oprah she was no where near that point).

I think Amber and Phil could be a potential train wreck. On the surface, it seems like they might be good together, but they fact that she's never had a real relationship, coupled with her substance abuse issues, on top of their sex addiction issues....oy! Not a good scene. I can imagine a situation where they both just sunk further into addiction, feeding off each other. You're not supposed to be in a relationship while in recovery for at least a year anyway.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3756586;
    I think Amber and Phil could be a potential train wreck. On the surface, it seems like they might be good together, but they fact that she's never had a real relationship, coupled with her substance abuse issues, on top of their sex addiction issues....oy! Not a good scene. I can imagine a situation where they both just sunk further into addiction, feeding off each other. You're not supposed to be in a relationship while in recovery for at least a year anyway.
    I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. I guess I was being hopeful that they both had learned some valuable tools to cope with their issues, and since it's been around 7 months since their rehab ended, they both might be ready to date someone. I guess I was thinking it would seem easier to be in a relationship when both parties understand the issues, and have had somewhat similar experiences, as long as they both continued with therapy. I think I already knew it would be a "bad" idea, but couldn't get the thought out of my mind. At the very least, Phil would be a great friend, and confidant for Amber.

I don't think he would even be good as a confidant for Amber. From what it sounds like to me she hasn't really even addressed her issues (at least that's how it came off on Oprah and based on my experiences with the addicted population). She still has all her same issues. She still is obsessing over a guy and hasn't really stopped it or addressed it. It's like a drunk saying he can just do one drink a day at this point. Is that recovery? Not really. Going through the motions. Go to treatment doesn't clean people up. It's the people themselves that address the behaviors and clean themselves up. Treatment just gives them the tools and she's not really using hers.

It looks good on the surface but there's some trigger stuff that caught my ear which probably was the catalyst for rubbing me the wrong in drug treatment and now in this stint in treatment.

I'm not as familiar with Phil because I was way more interested in which band made him a "rock star."

But then really no person in recovery should be leaning on another person fresh into recovery to support their recovery. She should be leaning people the same gender as her (instead of looking for daddy) who have been through this many many more years than her. And he should be staying away from these easy girls with daddy issues because lets face it that is likely who he was sacking all the time. I'm sure he can spot them a mile away. And it wouldn't be healthy for him to have that in his face all the time.

FORT Fogey

Thanks, chaos. I don't know much about addiction, and the recovery process. I know I've read previous posts by you, where you have mentioned being a Professional in helping individuals, so I know you know your stuff. When I mentioned Phil being a possible confidant, I thought maybe he could be a positive reinforcement for Amber, but I guess not. He seems to be a "stand up kind of guy," but I suppose it would be too tempting for both of them. I have a lot to learn. I, personally, can't see where Amber is not addressing her issues - I thought she had been addressing them with Dr. Drew, and hopefully she's continuing therapy outside of rehab. I know she has a lot of work ahead of her, but to me it seemed as though she was addressing her issues. You can probably see more signs that indicate she isn't, than I can. I hope she can find what she needs to make everything "click." I could tell when Oprah mentioned how powerful spirituality could be in helping her, it didn't "click" with Amber. Hope she can find what works best for her.

The fact that she's still engaging in her addictive behavior indicates that was her main problem in rehab. Sex wasn't her big issue. This obsession/stalking stuff was her issue. She admitted to still doing it. And really didn't indicate any plans to stop other than "working on it." She admitted there's a problem with it but she's still doing it knowing there is a problem with it. So she might wean herself off of this guy someday but I'm suspecting that another guy will slide right into his slot where he left off.

Plus she has some codependency issues on top of it which could seen in her drug treatment, which I'm guessing she hasn't even touched yet.

I think she's treatment savvy. She knows the right words to say to make it sound good most of the time. She knows the right answers and gives the right answers. I also think think that her being on these shows is less about her getting help and more about her as an aging model looking for some income and face time on TV.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3757122;
    The fact that she's still engaging in her addictive behavior indicates that was her main problem in rehab. Sex wasn't her big issue. This obsession/stalking stuff was her issue. She admitted to still doing it. And really didn't indicate any plans to stop other than "working on it." She admitted there's a problem with it but she's still doing it knowing there is a problem with it. So she might wean herself off of this guy someday but I'm suspecting that another guy will slide right into his slot where he left off.

Plus she has some codependency issues on top of it which could seen in her drug treatment, which I'm guessing she hasn't even touched yet.

I think she's treatment savvy. She knows the right words to say to make it sound good most of the time. She knows the right answers and gives the right answers. I also think think that her being on these shows is less about her getting help and more about her as an aging model looking for some income and face time on TV.
    Okay - I get it. She needs to "walk the talk." I now remember her saying she still "intently watches" (i.e. she mentioned she preferred not to refer to it as "stalking!") guys. I guess I thought talking and reflecting on her issues with a Professional was at least a start to addressing the issues. I know she needs to put the thoughts into action, though. I'm still thinking she may truly be a naive little girl inside, and not intentionally taking advantage of these TV opportunities, but that's JMHO.

I would put money on that she has used that naive little girl act repeatedly in her life to get what she wants. If she looks helpless and acts helpless and acts clueless... well that's really the best way for women to get what they want. I don't think she's nearly as naive as she wants to come off as.

She won't even call it what it is. "I'm not an alcoholic.. I just have a few drinks now and then." (for example).

People talk to professionals all the time if they think it will get them what they want.

+ Reply to Thread