+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 170

Thread: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

  1. #111
    old cow
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3765653;
    Drew could not have timed his push for sex addiction recognition any better. Have seen him offering his expertise on some of the current talk shows regarding Tiger. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.. Go Drew
    Oh my DD is handsome isn't he?

    I saw him this morning on the Today Show talking about sex addiction with Tiger Woods. I did find it amusing too that this show is out and now here comes Mr. Clean Tiger Woods with all these women, wow it really is perfect timing. I wonder if Dr. Drew could get Tiger Woods on next season's Sex Rehab? I know it would never happen but eh it would be nice to see some actual celebrities on this show.

    Oh and have any of you guys read his new book The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America ? OMG it soooo good! Really opens your eyes to America's obsession with "fame". But it is interesting...throughout the book it seems Dr. Drew is putting down reality based celebrities and the effect its having on us but dang it does seem like his turning into one himself.

  2. #112
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,998

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Somehow I just can't picture Tiger Woods being on Celb Re-hab. I can just picture taking the entire group to the Masters with him. I just don't want to know about his sex life.
    There is just wayyyy too much information out there anymore. This is between Tiger & his wife and we don't need to know anything more.

  3. #113
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,219

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3765594;
    That's funny - I read it that way too when they first changed the title. I'm sure it was wishful thinking on my part. I've had a crush on him since Loveline w/Adam Corrola. *sigh* (See? I'm not all about Kid Rock!)
    I have mad love for Adam Carolla, too! How's that for varied tastes?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

  4. #114
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,060

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3765720;
    Oh and have any of you guys read his new book The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America ? OMG it soooo good! Really opens your eyes to America's obsession with "fame". But it is interesting...throughout the book it seems Dr. Drew is putting down reality based celebrities and the effect its having on us but dang it does seem like [he's] turning into one himself.
    If you think about it, the line between who's a reality celebrity and who's not, is being blurred more and more. So many regular people are gaining some measure of notoriety nowadays by going on shows like Real World and Road Rules, or the Bachelor/ette, or American Idol, America's Got Talent, etc, and even shows like Jerry Springer, Dr. Phil, Maury, and all those kinds of shows, or putting themselves on YouTube, or on Facebook, or in their local rags, or on Twitter, etc, etc. It doesn't take much for some network honcho to see someone of interest and put him into a Reality Show. (Perfect example, an obscure kid like Frank the Entertainer gets a reality show.)

  5. #115
    FORT Fogey Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by candor;3763938;
    This episode shows why I'd be a lousy counselor. I'd be saying to Selma, "Don't you slap Kari Ann! Let me do it." Seriously, though, why doesn't this woman have any consequences? The worse she behaves the more people justify it. She's damaged, to be sure, but I think Dr. Drew is emboldening her bad behavior.
    QFT.

    I wish someone would make a .gif of that instant where Selma snatched up Kari's weave, and Kari's eyes bugged out. Heh. I'm so sick of hearing how 'damaged' people are and that's their excuse to manipulate everyone around them. I don't blame Kari as much as I blame those in charge there for letting her get away with it from day one, though. Kari's awful - I wouldn't insult a toddler by comparing her behavior to theirs, but she's like a stroppy three year old. Worse, since she lies non stop...

    But where were the contracts and boundaries from day one? Why did the staff purposely allow her to walk all over them, causing division in the rest of the group, and empowering Kari's bad behavior? That's what I don't understand.

    I was inwardly applauding Nicole when she told Kari off. I just wish it hadn't all backtracked later. That was a heavy vase Kari flung at Selma - if it had hit Selma's knee, which it nearly did - it could've cracked her kneecap, crippling her for life. Kari's "so I'm not gonna have fun with this one?" meaning Shelley, said it all - she was toying with Selma and could care less she lost her job. Had she wounded Selma with that heavy vase she wouldn't have batted a false eyelash either.

    It's driving me bats that Dr. Drew, Jill and whoever else is in charge hasn't 'contracted behavior' with Kari from the start. Isn't that the whole idea? Manipulative behaviors are a key part of addiction aren't they? So aren't they still allowing Kari her drug of choice?

  6. #116
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,853

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3767070;
    QFT.

    I wish someone would make a .gif of that instant where Selma snatched up Kari's weave, and Kari's eyes bugged out. Heh. I'm so sick of hearing how 'damaged' people are and that's their excuse to manipulate everyone around them. I don't blame Kari as much as I blame those in charge there for letting her get away with it from day one, though. Kari's awful - I wouldn't insult a toddler by comparing her behavior to theirs, but she's like a stroppy three year old. Worse, since she lies non stop...

    But where were the contracts and boundaries from day one? Why did the staff purposely allow her to walk all over them, causing division in the rest of the group, and empowering Kari's bad behavior? That's what I don't understand.

    I was inwardly applauding Nicole when she told Kari off. I just wish it hadn't all backtracked later. That was a heavy vase Kari flung at Selma - if it had hit Selma's knee, which it nearly did - it could've cracked her kneecap, crippling her for life. Kari's "so I'm not gonna have fun with this one?" meaning Shelley, said it all - she was toying with Selma and could care less she lost her job. Had she wounded Selma with that heavy vase she wouldn't have batted a false eyelash either.

    It's driving me bats that Dr. Drew, Jill and whoever else is in charge hasn't 'contracted behavior' with Kari from the start. Isn't that the whole idea? Manipulative behaviors are a key part of addiction aren't they? So aren't they still allowing Kari her drug of choice?
    While I think they contracted a lot late and mishandled Kari from the get go most places don't contract for behavior from the start unless there is a previous history of non-compliance from a client at that facility. Which there likely isn't in this case. I'm sure that they were expecting the group the group to push her out of the pre-contemplation phase and it never happened and her behavior degraded systematically and she became toxic to the group.

    Not knowing the specifics of his program... I can say that if everyone else is expected to participate and follow basic rules, Kari should have been held to that same standard and that contract should have been done way earlier in the treatment process. It is not therapeutic for her or the group for her to live by a different/lower standard than everyone else there. And if she was not being compliant with treatment (which skipping group is non-compliance) then the responsible thing for the facility to do was to seek out a higher/more appropriate level of care.

    But I have some basic issues with how Dr. Drew runs any of his treatment programs. To me this is just a reality show and not really a representation of treatment.

  7. #117
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    866

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3767070;
    That was a heavy vase Kari flung at Selma - if it had hit Selma's knee, which it nearly did - it could've cracked her kneecap, crippling her for life. Kari's "so I'm not gonna have fun with this one?" meaning Shelley, said it all - she was toying with Selma and could care less she lost her job. Had she wounded Selma with that heavy vase she wouldn't have batted a false eyelash either.
    Not excusing her at all, but I doubt Kari Ann was aiming for Selma with the vase. I think she was lashing out, and the vase was the first thing she saw in front of her. And I don't feel sorry for Selma at all. I was truly shocked to see her behavior. It was incredibly violent, and I'm glad it was on tape for Dr. Drew and the other therapist to see. They both stated that Kari Ann was repeatedly provoked again and again by Selma, and they both seemed really disturbed by Selma's behavior. I think Selma has her own issues to deal with. Kari Ann for sure, but Selma, too.

  8. #118
    FORT Fogey Brandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    daiseyo: What did you feel Selma did that was provocative to Kari?

    She brought her juice in bed every morning, continually said "okay" to Kari's excuses...I think she might've been provocative but not in an aggressive way. She was provocative maybe, in that she did not set a clear boundary with Kari, unless that boundary was called "whatever you say, Kari." But then the whole staff seems to have set that same flag in the sand. And then kept moving it.

    I felt that if Selma was provocative, it was in an unconscious, co-dependent way. And I blame her bosses for not empowering her to enforce anything with Kari. Instead, she was powerless, and could only "repeat herself" as Kari chided her.

    If Kari didn't intend to hit Selma why did she throw the vase at her? I didn't buy that "it was at the wall." That was as believable, to me, as "I didn't want to walk in, in the middle of group" when Kari was fully dressed before group began, and simply combing her hair.

    causingchaos: I agree with you that the driving force here seems to be 'good tv' ahead of 'good treatment.' Emphasis on 'seems,' of course, since I'm no expert and we only see what makes the cut.

  9. #119
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    866

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3767691;
    daiseyo: What did you feel Selma did that was provocative to Kari?

    She brought her juice in bed every morning, continually said "okay" to Kari's excuses...I think she might've been provocative but not in an aggressive way. She was provocative maybe, in that she did not set a clear boundary with Kari, unless that boundary was called "whatever you say, Kari." But then the whole staff seems to have set that same flag in the sand. And then kept moving it.

    I felt that if Selma was provocative, it was in an unconscious, co-dependent way. And I blame her bosses for not empowering her to enforce anything with Kari. Instead, she was powerless, and could only "repeat herself" as Kari chided her.

    If Kari didn't intend to hit Selma why did she throw the vase at her? I didn't buy that "it was at the wall." That was as believable, to me, as "I didn't want to walk in, in the middle of group" when Kari was fully dressed before group began, and simply combing her hair.
    Dr. Drew & the therapist (can't remember her name) were the ones to say Selma continued to provoke Kari Ann. I agree with them, and I'm referring to the chain of events that took place just prior to Selma violently yanking Kari Ann's hair, and pushing her. I do think Selma was pretty patient with Kari Ann on the days leading up to the incident. If you get the chance to watch the episode again, I think you'll see how Selma provoked Kari Ann right before the meltdown took place. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember Selma blocking the doorway as Kari Ann was trying to leave, and continuing to block her back and forth - it was disturbing to watch, and unprofessional to say the least. She was also pushing Kari Ann's buttons by repeating the same statement over and over again. Selma was "in her face" literally, and figuratively, and after they were both in the hallway, Selma ran right in front of Kari Ann in a very provocative manner, and again, kept repeating the same statement over and over again. It was really uncomfortable to watch. I also remember rewinding the part when Kari Ann hits the vase off of the shelf, and it looked like to me she was lashing out at the first thing that she saw in front of her. I do think she meant to aim it towards Selma, but I don't think she wanted it to strike Selma. It reminded me of little kids who in a fit of anger reachs for the first thing to throw. It's JMHO, but I think Selma needs some therapy herself, before she can be in a role of helping others. I, also, think Dr. Drew et al have been letting Kari Ann get away with very unacceptable behavior, and should have enforced the contract right away.

  10. #120
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

    I agree with you, daiseyo. Selma definitely provoked Kari Ann leading up to "The Incident." I do feel though that Kari Ann had been provoking Selma for weeks. She'd been so calm in dealing with Kari Ann all that time. I have to think the frustration/anger was building in her that whole time and just finally came out in that one event. I know I'd have a hard time dealing with KA's b.s.

    I feel sad for Kari Ann, based on what she revealed about her past abuse, but it doesn't feel to me like she's ready for recovery yet. A huge percentage of her behavior is probably a cry for help, but I don't think she's to the point where anyone can help her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.