+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

Re: Sex Rehab With Dr. Drew

Last week's episode? James? Well, he seems like he's had some brain damage from drug use. That would be my first guess. He even has those white lips a crack addict supposedly has (not an expert on crack or meth, but it just looks like that to me.) For at least the first week, he seemed really out of it. I don't think he should be in the same group as the others, since he seemed to need to stabilise in other ways before he could even begin to benefit from sex addiction treatment. Same with Kari Ann. IF they were both jonesing for drugs (or even smuggled some in: why does Kari Ann keep going to the bathroom and locking the door, and why did the place allow her to bring food in? Shouldn't the clinic provide *everything* ingestible?) isn't that fairly distracting for them (and others) at the very least?

Phew. Sorry for parentheses abuse, there.

What James said was wrong - hello, it doesn't take much to figure out that could be a trigger - but it was also borne of ignorance. What I disliked intensely was the staff's insistence on minimising it. I don't so much like the female counselor - she has one of those pretend-empathy faces. I'd rather a stoic face or dopey shrugging expression like Dr. Drew often has, than one of those pretend-empathy pity puppy faces. Why put on any emotion at all, in fact? Doesn't that make the therapy more result-oriented, especially for button-pushers like Kari Ann? Anyway...

The staff kept saying during that group therapy session, that "there was no boundary before, and now there is." Bull! Everyone has a boundary where saying to someone you barely know that you want to rape them is out of bounds. In a setting like this one, it is ALWAYS a boundary, whether it is set down in words or writing first or not. That was such a lame response on the staff's part, and totally failed Jennifer, in my opinion. It also seemed to leave the others without closure on the incident, and floundering after 'group.'

I feel the same way about someone threatening violence against James, though; especially since they are all living in such close quarters, and also since he experienced a violent childhood. Maybe the others don't know about his childhood issues, but again, that type of thing should be an automatic boundary especially in rehab settings. James did seem a bit paranoid, though; poisoned food? And again, staff seems to have failed him too. Why wasn't anyone there reassuring him that there is no way that could happen - literally. Even putting the emotional part aside (Jennifer was not likely to poison him), it isn't very feasible that she could've snuck in some arsenic before ever meeting him, which is what she'd have had to do. It didn't seem like he was thinking rationally and sometimes addressing that with stone cold facts helps.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3763228;
    I feel the same way about someone threatening violence against James, though; especially since they are all living in such close quarters, and also since he experienced a violent childhood. Maybe the others don't know about his childhood issues, but again, that type of thing should be an automatic boundary especially in rehab settings. James did seem a bit paranoid, though; poisoned food? And again, staff seems to have failed him too. Why wasn't anyone there reassuring him that there is no way that could happen - literally. Even putting the emotional part aside (Jennifer was not likely to poison him), it isn't very feasible that she could've snuck in some arsenic before ever meeting him, which is what she'd have had to do. It didn't seem like he was thinking rationally and sometimes addressing that with stone cold facts helps.
    First, let me say that I promised myself that I wouldn't let myself get invested in these people before the show even started. VH1 crap shows are my downfall. Also, it may seem like I come out swinging on each of my posts, but I'm not trying to antagonize, just understand.

Come on, though. A rape "joke" is not made out of ignorance, especially under those circumstances. Assuming James knows where he is - and what he's there for.

I also disagree with the idea that what Jennifer said was an act of aggression. What I mean by this is James' comment was out of the blue (from what I know), and Jennifer was reacting to a threat. I believe it is reasonable for Jennifer to believe James would rape her. I don't, however, think anyone believed Jennifer would cut James' *naughty parts* off, and the poisoning idea just showed what an idiot he is.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3763251;
    First, let me say that I promised myself that I wouldn't let myself get invested in these people before the show even started. VH1 crap shows are my downfall.
    OMG I was wondering the exact same thing about myself. How the flip wilson did i become so dang obsessed with these guys? UGH! (i feel so dirty sometimes )

Honestly Im so sick of the James/Jennifer thing im ready to puke so i just wanted to put my 2 cents in for Phil. I liked him before but after seeing last nite's episode i just concaved and he won me hook, line, and sinker. His moment with his dad was off the charts cute and idk, i hope he's not taking the viewer for a ride with false emotions like someone else on the show (*cough, Duncan, *cough) but idk, just like him bunches.

I don't know that I'd call Phil's time with his dad "cute," but it was really moving. I cried through most of it. It's obvious that they both really love each other and are still just gutted by the loss of their wife/mother. I'm sure Phil's grandmother dying has brought those emotions back for both of them. I'm really impressed by his willingness to open himself up in this process. I had no idea who he was before this, but he's one of my favorites now.

Obviously, Kari Ann has learned nothing. Didn't Drew tell her that she had one more chance and, if she broke any rules, she'd be out? (I was doing housework while the show was on, so I missed a few things) How long was it before she was on the phone after the time they were allowed to use it and then refused to get off? If she gets the boot, it will be like Selma got fired for nothing. Selma was totally in the wrong, but I was still sad to see her go. Kari Ann obviously annoyed her as much as some of us at home!

Is it my imagination or was one of the rules there that the patients weren't to have physical contact with each other? There was a lot of hugging last night and I wondered about it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3763623;
    I don't know that I'd call Phil's time with his dad "cute," but it was really moving. I cried through most of it...

Is it my imagination or was one of the rules there that the patients weren't to have physical contact with each other? There was a lot of hugging last night and I wondered about it.
    Ha, yea cute is the wrong word to use. It was very touching and i was crying too

Yea i noticed the hugging as well...I am really confused about the "rules" around there. Obviously hugging is very much needed in a healing process so i cant see why there would no physical contact at all...i guess maybe sexual physical contact..

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3763680;
    Ha, yea cute is the wrong word to use. It was very touching and i was crying too

Yea i noticed the hugging as well...I am really confused about the "rules" around there. Obviously hugging is very much needed in a healing process so i cant see why there would no physical contact at all...i guess maybe sexual physical contact..
    There's hugging and then there's "hugging." For lack of a better way to put it when one goes from over sexed to no sex then any physical contact can be made sexual. Which is probably the no contact rule. Most co-ed facilities have a variation of the no contact rule regardless of what they are treating except in cases of like therapeutic hugging etc.

FORT Fogey

Interesting when Drew said that Carrie Anne was at arrested development at the age of 13 when she started drugs. My word, that is so obvious. You see her behavior in every middle school in America. I am curious how she was able to so successfully compete in Pagents since that whole beauty trade seems to be highly regimented with pagent behavior set out in strict rules

But how many people have we seen recently that weren't exactly playing by the rules in the national pageants? I'm thinking they only really look if they have reason to look. If they have no reason to they won't.

I'm enjoying this show a lot as I did with Celebrity Rehab and Sober House too. Although it always seems like there's one person focused on extensively (previously that was Jeff and Gary but in this case it's Kari Anne) to the detriment of the other house guests. I say, if they want to go, let them go. Kari Anne would try a saints patience with her extreme rudeness but I'm glad that Selma was fired as you have to have more self-control than that. I'm loving Amber as usual and I like Jennifer a lot as well as two of the guys (not surfer guy). Great show!

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by CAdreamin;3763777;
    I'm enjoying this show a lot as I did with Celebrity Rehab and Sober House too. Although it always seems like there's one person focused on extensively (previously that was Jeff and Gary but in this case it's Kari Anne) to the detriment of the other house guests. I say, if they want to go, let them go. Kari Anne would try a saints patience with her extreme rudeness but I'm glad that Selma was fired as you have to have more self-control than that. I'm loving Amber as usual and I like Jennifer a lot as well as two of the guys (not surfer guy). Great show!
    I agree, if K.A. wants to go that badly then let her go! What are going to do force her to get treatment? She obviously needs another type of treatment, maybe with more one-on-one attention. And her being there isnt doing any of the other patients any good either.

Yea i like most everyone on the show as well. Duncan works my nerves alot but other than that everyone is likeable.

+ Reply to Thread