+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kirstie Alley's Big Life (A&E)

Re: Kirstie Alley Reality Show Coming In 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22;3863691;
    People are only judgmental about it because she puts herself in the spotlight. There have been plenty of people to yo yo weight and it really goes unnoticed. I really dont think that many people would have cared about Kirstie Alleys weight if she didnt put herself in the position for people to care. When you become the face of a weight loss program, lose weight rapidly and then when you become a house again you go on oprah to cry about it, youre bringing it upon yourself. It just seems like the last 10 years of her life has been about how fat or skinny she is.
    As a public figure there is always going to be opinions if you put yourself out there. However weight judgements happen everyday to everyone out there. It is one of the very visable issues that people can have..unlike say abusing your kid or smoking. You can do those things behind closed doors but your weight is always with you. You can't hide it and having weight issues all my adult life, trust me when I say everyone has something to say about it, mostly negative.

And you are right in saying that the past years of her life have been about the weight. That is her struggle and it's also her show. If you don't like it don't watch it. Simple as that. You seem to be very passionate about either Kirstie or fat. I'm not sure which it is. Writing about how " became a house again and goes on Oprah to cry about it" sounds very judmental and narrow-minded to me. I'm sure you don't mean to come across like that.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22;3863303;
    Why is it such a hard thing to just lose and gain weight at will? Has it ever been thought that she does this for attention? Why is it something special in this country when someone can get morbidly obese, lose the weight in one of the most unsafe ways possible and then put it all back on to get back in the spotlight? What kind of example does this set for people?

And honestly, she can act?!? What has she been in other then those talking children movies?
    Wow... the above comment is just so wrong in so many ways. As someone who is five ten and used to model, then gained almost one hundred pounds I can totally relate to Kirsties delima. No one wants to put on too much weight. Usually it's an emotional problem that does it. In my case it was a combination of a drug I had to take for an illness and also an emotional problem I was dealing with. I lost fifty lbs through HARD work and dieting, only to have a family problem come up that triggered the 'comfort eating' again and was amazed at how the weight came back on so quickly! This has happened to me over and over for the past 25 years. Believe me, NO ONE wants attention by being a figure of ridicule. The press has hounded Kirsti since she first put on weight after a miscarriage. I feel so sorry for her and wish her all the best. (I'm worried, though, that she may lose weight again and after the show is over and the problems of normal life return, she may gain it back. It comes back so quickly! I hope she gets counciling,too, for the problems that caused her weight gain.)

Count me as someone who also does not think she's yo-yoing for attention. There are many reasons why this happens. I've seen it when people don't make a lifelong lifestyle change. I don't consider Jenny Craig to be unsafe, but I can see how if you didn't take part in the counseling and educate yourself on healthy eating you could fail once real life rears its head

And food addiction and emotional eating can play a part. There is a current study out that says that rich, fatty foods may cause a cocaine-like addiction. Fatty foods may cause cocaine-like addiction - CNN.com

This isn't an excuse, but a possible explanation for some food addicts. Add in stress and the pounds can come crashing back. I'm sympathetic to people whose weight goes up and down. I've been all over the place -- anorexic, normal weight, obese -- and am just now figuring out the diet/exercise balance.

FORT Fogey

Again, another good couple of episodes! Her house is lovely, and her interactions with her kids is honest. I have to say that I like this woman! Cute opening too..... the cartoons are so cheerful and upbeat!

FORT Fanatic

Oh, boy, the rats get in her house and she FEEDS THEM before they are taken out? Is it any wonder they come back - and back? Gives me the creeps.

again, is this house in Kansas?

FORT Fogey

It's her house in Hollywood.

Beautiful house...did it make anyone else annoyed that the handyman made her son help him pull the tree out of the pool? That could've been dangerous. I'd be tempted to fire someone for doing that! He should've called professionals in to help, not made the family paying him, help/do his job for him.

About 'anyone can lose weight if they want' - such a tired song but it gets played endlessly doesn't it? I happen to know otherwise. I can only hope those who insist on singing that tune get to know that fact really well one day, too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3865815;
    Beautiful house...did it make anyone else annoyed that the handyman made her son help him pull the tree out of the pool? That could've been dangerous. I'd be tempted to fire someone for doing that! He should've called professionals in to help, not made the family paying him, help/do his job for him.
    Kirstie has a less formal, more casual and friendly relationship with her "team." I didn't see anything wrong with Jim asking Kirstie's son to help.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3865479;
    It's her house in Hollywood.
    That's the house where Nate Berkus did the kitchen makeover when he was working through Oprah's show. I recognized the green diamond-shaped tiles. It was gorgeous. Very much Kirstie's personality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast