+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Little People, Big World - TLC

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Little People, Big World - TLC

Doing a bit of armchair psychology, I'll bet some of it has to do with the fact that she's mentioned that she and Matt hardly knew each other when they got married. They had only briefly met 3 times, and wham, they got married. She said that she felt that as a little person (in those days) her options for meeting someone were really limited, so when Matt came along, (and he was probably very cute and funny and charming) she thought he was the 'best' that she could get --- so she married him. As it turned out, he was very different from what she apparently really wanted in a mate --- but with the time consuming chaos of all the child rearing years, she never really had much time to dwell on it, and apparently Matt didn't irritate her quite so much, until recently. Now, it seems like that's pretty much all she thinks about. My guess is that they won't be staying together much longer, and it will break Matt's heart because he seems to be very much in love with her, and she seems to be 'enough' for him --- but sadly, neither seem to be true for Amy.

Imperfect1, I think you're so right about all you wrote...not unusual for us to agree, huh?
    I also think the kids kept her busy and her anger/resentment were held at bay...now with the basic empty nest...altho Jeremy is still young...and seems a little neglected.
    Maybe she has too much time on her hands and she doesnt seem to want to be a part of the wedding business....she almost seemed, during the season, that she was doing it because she had to (due to the tv show).
    Maybe she just needs to find "her thing" and she'd be happier....might like Matt a little more??

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Maybe she has too much time on her hands and she doesnt seem to want to be a part of the wedding business....she almost seemed, during the season, that she was doing it because she had to (due to the tv show).
    Maybe she just needs to find "her thing" and she'd be happier....might like Matt a little more??
    I think you've touched on something important that I hadn't thought about. . . Amy always seems to be reluctantly dragged into whatever project Matt's gotten them into. He was the one who wanted to buy the farm, then he insisted they remodel the whole house (and it IS gorgeous, isn't it?), and then he wanted to add all the different curiosity areas to make it a 'destination' place for visitors and tourists --- and then, of course, he had the wedding farm idea. From what we've seen, Amy didn't want to do any of those things, but she reluctantly went along with Matt. In fact, although I haven't watched every single episode over the years, I haven't ever heard Amy talking about (or doing) the things that are important to HER. I know she does some speaking engagements from time to time, but I haven't seen her follow any dreams of her own. And with their youngest son still at home (and yes, he DOES seem a little forlorn and a bit neglected), and with all of the requirements that are needed to run the farm, with all of its multiple attractions, and now the wedding business too, I don't know if she'll be able to find the time to explore what she'd like to do with the rest of her life. But for her sake and the sake of their marriage, I sure hope she is able to do that.

Yes, Matt has been the one with the dreams and ambition. Over the years, Amy has said that her passion is traveling, the kids and cooking. I think she likes speaking to groups now too. I've never seen anything that Matt does appeal to her. Unless it was the traveling that did for the tv show. Even then she had plenty to say against him. The man's legs are pretty mangled looking, but he would still try to keep up on these trips. Not good enough for Amy though.

Amy seems to be angry about something...maybe because she's not doing something that makes her happy, fulfills her, etc. And she seems to be taking it out on Matt...
    I know he's a big pain in the butt in many ways but she's not perfect either. At least, Matt has dreams and puts them into motion. Amy just sits back and complains.
    Amy's real problem is Amy.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

I think Amy's missing her children and is going through the realization that she must move on to the next chapter of her life.....with Matt. Many parents go through this when they send their kids off to college or when they move out of the house and learn to live independently. Cutting the apron strings can be heart breaking for some. In Amy's case I think this scenario if magnified!

Now, she must actually face the fact that her husband is a free spirit who is constsantly looking forward to the next adventure....whether it makes sense or not! Amy used to be able to bury her head in the sand, regarding Matt's pie in the sky ideas, because her time and energy was spent with her children and their adventures. That's no longer possible!

I agree with those of you who said they believe Matt "loves" Amy more than Amy "loves" Matt. I think Amy believes it, too.

Amy has had the same behavior even before the kids were approaching the time to attend college. It started early on. I recall episodes where Amy picked fights with Matt and encouraged the kids to join in. It was so disturbing that I had to stop watching for awhile, but I caught up on reruns. It was a terrible time in their family. That was about the time that Matt's parents left the show for the most part. It seems that has stopped or is not nearly as bad as it was.

There has always been the Amy camp vs. Matt camp, but I have tried to keep an open mind. I do find that Amy has good traits. She can be quite charming and I think she does have lots to offer. It's just that she has a deep resentment for Matt that seems to engulf her. It's so obvious that I was shocked they had an anniversity reception. During the last dance with Matt she seemed to soften up a little and show some love for him. It's hard to swallow though, because she acts as if she never saw him again, it would be fine with her. Matt has to know this.

I recall one anniversity or birthday he took Amy out to a romantic dinner. As they sat there and he talked of his love for her and begged for a little affection, she blew him off big time. It was so hurtful to watch. I don't know, but I can't see doing that to the father of my children on tv, no matter how much money they paid me.

Isn't there still a child at home? Oh yeah, Jacob..the one they all seem to forget about. He is not a twin or the only girl, he is just a boy. I always thought that he was negelected by both his parents and siblings.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Isn't there still a child at home? Oh yeah, Jacob..the one they all seem to forget about. He is not a twin or the only girl, he is just a boy. I always thought that he was negelected by both his parents and siblings.
    You can say that again!!
    Debb70, your post reminded me of things I had forgotten, and wasn't there a time that Zac hated his dad? I thought it had to do with the way Matt treated Amy..did Amy influence Zac?
    I really dislike it when parents encourage kids to take sides......even in divorce.
    I tried not to do that ...although I SURE WANTED to.......and knew, in time, the kids would see their father for who he truly was. Breaks my heart at times but it's best for them to figure it out themselves.

IMO it looked like Amy would set it up so the kids would attack their dad. If the kids did something very wrong, dangerous, etc., and Matt said one word to them, Amy would jump on the kid's side and attack Matt. Matt always said he couldn't correct the children because of Amy and he was right. At least that's how it looked on tv.

Recall when Jacob and Zach burned a table in the family room? It was property damage and dangerous, but when Matt took issue, Amy was furious with Matt. She thought it wasn't a big deal. There are so many times things like that happened. Amy was always, her and the kids against Matt. She had Zack so hateful of his dad that they barely spoke. For all of Matt's faults, I don't think he deserved that.
    Imperfect1 and AZChristian like this.

+ Reply to Thread